big red bash

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 16:40
ThreadID: 117175 Views:3641 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
just been reading about the big red bash in July and wondering if anyone has done this in the past and what they thought of the event.
have and a van not an off road van and would it be better to stay in the c'park in Birdsville and travel back and forth each day.

thanks in advance for any feed back on this event
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - batsy - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 18:01

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 18:01
MY D-mAx, we did the event last year & it was great. Atmosphere especially sundown & evening was spectacular. Your road van will be fine just take it steady. Much better to have your accommodation on hand to enhance the whole experience.
A must do.
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551405

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 18:24

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 18:24
Re the van it depends on which road you're planning on taking.
AnswerID: 551409

Follow Up By: MY D-mAx - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 19:37

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 19:37
Thanks Sigmund.Any suggestions on what road i should take?This trip if i do it would the first time out of NSW with the van.
FollowupID: 836877

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 21:13

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 21:13
Come in from the east. It's the Birdsville Developmental Rd from memory.

Read up on preparing for & driving on outback dirt roads.
FollowupID: 836891

Reply By: Anne S4 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 20:56

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 20:56
We went last year, it was a fantastic time.
We camped out at Big Red, a wonderful experience and great to be able to enjoy the sunrise on top of Big Red each morning. The echustics was brilliant and could be hear anywhere on site. The light show on the backdrop of Big Red was something to been seen.
AnswerID: 551500

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 09:39

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 09:39
Camping on Lake Nappanerica would be neat, normally no camping on Aria Downs property.
The concert line up and prices look pretty reasonable too.

We will be driving over BR heading west Sun 5th arvo, or Mon 6th early morning.
Was considering attending the concert, but on a mission with a group and some have to back in town for work committments by a certain day.

If anyone's interested, the Marree Camel Cup 2015 is on Sat 4th July too, we are hitting that on the drive up, attending until mid arvo before heading to Mung Pub for the night.
AnswerID: 551526

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:40

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:40
We went to the Big Red Bash in 2014, it was a great experience. Do a search on YouTube - "Birdsville Big Red Bash". Here you will find some videos from last year's concert as well as a promo for this year's. We travelled from the ACT through Bourke, Charleville and Windorah. We reached Birdsville in the afternoon of the fourth day. The road conditions from Windorah are good with a mix of bitumen stretches and good gravel.
We stayed at the Birdsville caravan park for a night prior to heading out and camping on Adria Downs station. Camping is only permitted for the duration of the concert. The night we stayed at the Birdsville CP there were 500 vehicles in the park. If you want a powered site you will certainly need to book well in advance. Camping at Big Red was great. Make sure you bring sand pegs and a Porta Potti. Although toilets were available they were very busy. It is better to camp rather than travel each day. Take a portable shower, however. If you travel back to Birdsville each day you have to cope with the dust and the ever worsening road conditions.
In 2014 the concert was held on the eastern lower face of Big Red. This was because of the predicted wind which would have made the top venue very unpleasant. The lower location was actually better as it made accessing toilets and your campertrailer much easier. Although days are warm be prepared for cold nights. One thing to beware of is the vast abundance of small burrs which infest the ground in the camping area.
We returned to the ACT via the Cordillo Downs road which takes you to Innamincka. From here we spent a night at Coongie Lake, well worth a visit. From Innamincka we travelled to Cameron Corner via a road we thought would pass Orientos and Santos stations. However, the old road has been completely realigned to a modern unsealed road standard to assist the mining industry and now actually misses Orientos and Santos stations. From Cameron Corner we ventured to Tibooburra. From here we visited White Cliffs, highly recommended, and then Mutawintji NP. Following this we spent a night at the new Wilcannia caravan park. This park is very close to the Darling River about 3 km east of the town. It has excellent facilities and is well worth a stop.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551528

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 21:30

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 21:30
Great report Robert. Thanks
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 837981

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 21:47

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 21:47
Great report, Robert x 2.

The burrs you mentioned are Marthaguy, or Bogan Flea (Calotis hispidula). A nasty little fellow that can literally destroy any piece of clothing that chances to fall into its grasp.

The "flowers" are 4-10 mm in diameter, and once dry, they can burst into many, many tiny barbed particles about 1-3mm in size.

If you can't camp anywhere else, it's best to rake your intended campsite before setting up, and perhaps burn, or bury, the accumulated weeds in case a whirlywind re-distributes everything throughout your camper, clothes, towels and socks.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 839486

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 08:38

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 08:38
Thanks Bob and Frank for your comments. With respect to burrs those at Birdsville were nothing compared to the ones we found on the Cordillo Downs road on our way to Innimincka. Here they were 1 to 1.5 cm in diameter and had no trouble penetrating flip flops. Particularly vicious.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 839500

Reply By: Member - Milton477 - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 23:38

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 23:38
Now I just have to persuade my better half that driving for days is worth it to watch a concert in the desert.
AnswerID: 551570

Reply By: Chil - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 17:06

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 17:06
Sounds interesting, My better 1/2 & I planning to go out via Tibooburra, Innamincka poeppel cnr then to the bash. How many others planning the trip?
AnswerID: 552400

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 20:51

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 20:51
We've bought our tickets!
Forbes-Bourke-Charleville-Windorah-Birdsville-down the track-Marree and home

See you there!
AnswerID: 553605

Sponsored Links