Strzelecki or Birdsville Track?

I am in the Flinders NP at the moment and will travel through the Gammom Ranges before I go east.

Now either I take the Strzelecki track through Innamincka or the Birdsville track and cross into Warburton Track, take K1 Line and then east to Birdsville to see the Simpson.

If I understand correctly Innamincka would be faster and offer water holes in the desert while the Simpson Desert is iconic in itself.

Any recommendations or remarks?
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 22:52

Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 22:52
What about taking the Birdsville, through Mungerannie (fuel up), then the Warburton and through the Simpson on the K1 etc tracks and on to Birdsville. Then you can come back down the Birdsville Track and turn left through Walkers Crossing to Moomba area and Innamincke to see the Dig tree etc area and then swing east.

Do it all. But that would take time and you didn't tell us if time is an issue.

I also don't know how much fuel you carry. I hold over 200lt in two tanks so this would be easy for me.
AnswerID: 551662

Follow Up By: dean ( SA ) - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 18:00

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 18:00
Hey Phil did you not read the post.
Your suggestion is one of his options.
Strez or Warburton, K1 and over to BV.
FollowupID: 837170

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:06

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:06
Yes, I think Phil was saying do that, then do the loop after through Inna territory :)
FollowupID: 837173

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:22

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:22
I have some new glasses here that you can borrow Dean. Joking mate.

Yes Les is correct. I combined them. It's a long way back to see what you missed.

Hi Les
FollowupID: 837174

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:11

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:11
PGU, do you have a Desert Parks Pass ?
Pretty sure you will need one to do the K1 to Poeppels drive (or anywhere in the Simpson Desert Cons Pk in SA).
You will also need an approved sand flag setup as per Nat Parks regs.

If so, all good, you won't risk a fine.
If not, and you don't want to outlay $150 for one, then you could do Inside Tk and either back down BV Tk / Walkers Crossing as Phil suggested, or go around Cordillo Rd to Inna etc.
AnswerID: 551680

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 23:03

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 23:03
PGU,

If you are travelling through the Gammon Ranges, you could continue on passed the Arkaroola turnoff in a NNE direction and come out onto the Strzelecki Track near Mount Hopeless. From there it is about 20km to Montecollina Bore where you can camp, or continue on to Innaminck.
Innamincka to Birdsville via whatever track you want to take. I prefer the Cordillo Downs Road because I think it is a more pleasant drive. I haven't been into the Simpson Desert so I can't help with that.

Whatever way you go will be enjoyable.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 551688

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 16:25

Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 16:25
As always just a bit of rain can close any outback track so check road conditions before you press the launch button.

As an aside, Balcanoona to Mt Hopeless on the E side of the northern Flinders R doesn't get much traffic and should be an easy drive when dry.
AnswerID: 551709

Sponsored Links