Longevity of 80 series Landcruisers.

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:10
ThreadID: 117388 Views:2550 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

we went for a drive from north of Sydney to Brisbane and back over the Easter break.
We drove up the Coast and back inland.
We didn't do an accurate count, just short a guess actually, but our estimate is we drove past at least 200 Toyota 80 series Landcruisers. Many are in fantastic condition and they were towing and carrying all sorts of gear.

We spot them because we drive on but it's not a bad effort for a vehicle that was fazed out 17 years ago and started just short of a decade earlier.

Our 1996 GXL diesel has 518,000 kms on the clock is still going strong.
Regular servicing is the thing that will keep any vehicle on the road but you need a solid vehicle from the start.

Ours has crossed deserts, ocean beds, mountains , rivers plus stacks of bitumen and dirt. Very rarely have we driven the easy way. It has gone an 8 seater family vehicle to a 2 seater outback tourer complete with everything we need to get into every corner of this country and more.

Just giving a yay for the old Cruisers.

PS, there's still a lot of 60s and 40s travelling about with their heads held high.
How good is that.

Steve.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: wooody - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 23:57

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 23:57
Yes I totally agree with you on that eighty matey, Gotta love the Cruisers, I am one who now owns a fantastic 100 series. The road taken to end up with this 100 series has been long and varied as I owned a TD 79series with a Camper on its back for 5 years, and this set up served me well travelling to the Cape twice and the Simpson, Birdsville, Oodnadatta, Cameron's Corner and lots more in between. I sold the 79 series back in Oct 2013 to sit may ass in a 2007 200 series TTD, and I have to say that this 200 series was the most comfortable, most responsive vehicle I have ever driven and I loved it. That was until I was introduced to the problems that these trucks can suffer and the exorbitant prices that some dealerships want to charge to fix them, mine had 207000k's on it when it developed an oil leak under the valley and toward the front of the engine. A non Toyota mechanic struggled to find the source of the leak and after $1100 (2 days on his hoist) he told me it will need to go back to Toyota and the engine will need to come out, I was shocked to say the least. This mechanic phoned a Toyota dealership to see if the problem existed with other customer vehicles, he was told by the service technician that this is an isolated case and they will need the truck for up to 4 weeks. The whole conversation was heard by me as the mechanic had Toyota on speaker phone and when the question of a ball park figure was asked, the Toyota guy responded with a huff and said anything up to $10,000 as when they are in there they will look at the injectors and rail system. I realised then that I simply don't have the funds available to keep this 200 series maintained so it was given to a dealer who wholesaled it to auction (with all faults listed on an invoice from this non Toyota mechanic) I lost a bucket load of money in the transaction so I went on the hunt for a factory turbo 100 series wagon steering well clear of the common rail issues, I was in disbelief of the prices that the 100 series were pulling but realised that if I don't buy one soon then the availability of these will soon dry up. So in Oct 2014 I bought a 2004 GXL turbo diesel and I'm still grinning from ear to ear each time I drive it, it doesn't compare to the ride comfort of the 200 series nor does it have the grunt of the twin turbo's but it does have far less computers and comes with the reassurance of getting me back from anywhere I venture as long as it has clean fuel, clean air and regular servicing. Yes go the pre-common rails I say
AnswerID: 552140

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 09:39

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 09:39
I like the simplicity of the 80s.

If we get some dirty fuel it won't destroy the fuel pump and the solid axle front end is more robust and fixable.

We find spares on the side of the road and in remote communities. When we had to get repaired in Kununurra it was repaired overnight because the mechanic had a second hand part in his shed.

I'd like another driver's seat but apart from that it is really comfortable. Nothing like the 200s but for a vehicle that is nearly 20 years old it is tight, no rattles and easy to drive.

I love it.
FollowupID: 837712

Follow Up By: Geepeem - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 18:28

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 18:28
So sorry to hear about your troubles and loss with the 200 series Wooody. But I am not surprised. I purchased a new one but was always feeling anxious as the extended warranty was coming to an end. Finally I decided to sell it while I could still get a reasonable price for it. They are just too expensive to repair out of warranty. Mine also used to use oil and I had heard so many stories of expensive repairs (e.g. leaks in steering rack) etc. I don't know whether I should buy another new one and turn it over before warranty ends or buy something else altogether.
FollowupID: 837743

Reply By: Hewy54 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:59

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:59
Bought mine 8 years ago, travelled 120k in it on 5 lots of 6 week trips. Did a diff in Darwin 4 years ago but that has been the only problem. Was bought on the advice of a relative who was in the 4WD business. Coming up to 400k now, no plans in selling it. In that time my kids have tried 200 series Sahara, Pajero, BMW X5 and Range Rover Sports. Twice they have needed to do some serious off road work, so both times they borrowed the 80 series off me as they considered it more reliable!
AnswerID: 552144

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 13:32

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 13:32
Love the 80 series matey. I reckon it is Toyota's finest moment. Our 96 GXL Pet/auto is relatively young at 270,000 and very comfortable and capable. We've used my 79 series for long distance touring last couple of years only because its a diesel and its much younger mechanically at 110,000, but the 80 is a superior vehicle in many aspects in my opinion.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552153

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 13:56

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 13:56
We had 2 GXL 80 series, Steve, a '90 & a '97 model.

Stepped out of an asthmatic 60 series one afternoon in Toowoomba, into the '90 model turbo, and life went ahead with a whoosh! Kept it over 2 years, and traded it on the '97 model, that was only 18 months old with 87,000 on the odo. Had it for a further 12 years, and reluctantly sold it to a young bloke on the station, when we moved to town.

The only expensive items we had done were rebuilding the injector pumps.........it seems people will insist on running tanks dry, before switching to the auxiliary tank. Fitted a 166L rear tank to the newer one, and that gave good range for bush trips.

The improvements between the 2 was very noticeable, though the 1HDT seemed to pull much better than the later model turbo.........maybe it was the lower profile tyres?

The young bloke had some bad luck when the rats chewed a small hose on the cooling system, it burst, lost most of coolant and about $12K later he was back on the road again. :-(

Still look with some affection at a good '80, when we see them on the road. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552155

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:48

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:48
I run the auxiliary tank first when I go on a decent run.
Twice last weekend I ran the tank dry. Both times I was travelling along and checked the gauge at half full then completely forgot about it until it started asking for more.

That's a bad habit I'll have to stop.
FollowupID: 837736

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 11:21

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 11:21
Ha ha, I'm not squeaky clean either, Steve!

Have run out a couple of times, engine stalled, and wondered what's the bloody problem? Then the penny dropped..........

Also, have noticed quite a number of 80's lately, that have been chopped into utes and dual cabs. Would be a cheap way to get into a modified vehicle.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837782

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 20:37

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 20:37
We've considered cutting ours down to an extra cab.

We like the idea of a camper back, like the Carry Me Camper, but we like having our fridge behind the front seats and a bit of room for other stuff. Plus an extra cab gives a bit more room on the tray.

Apparently it costs more for an extra cab conversion than a dual cab because it needs more reinforcing.
We haven't got the money for it yet so we haven't had a serious look but it's still a serious consideration.

Steve
FollowupID: 837815

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 15:12

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 15:12
Oh yes, every year now we discuss the merits of keeping our 80 and each time we discuss it we reach the conclusion that there's nothing to be gained from "upgrading" to a newer model. We have the '97 GXL but have added a Denco turbo. Good to see others also in agreement. I can't see us ever parting company.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552160

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 15:29

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 15:29
Couldn't have worded it better myself.

Can't improve on perfection :)
FollowupID: 837732

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:50

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:50
We've come to the conclusion we'll keep it until it starts playing up.
It's too reliable to part company with.

Steve
FollowupID: 837737

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:30

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:30
Just to add to the above, my 80 series did 518000 km, had it for 12 yrs when I traded in for a 100 series T/D cruiser. Have had this now for 9 yrs, done a low 209000 km so far and the only expense so far is regular Book services by an excellent mechanic, Not over the top prices that Toyota charge. It will last at least another 20 yrs. Cheers
AnswerID: 552163

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:51

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:51
Well done George.

When you're on a good thing, stick to it.
FollowupID: 837738

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 01:16

Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 01:16
Can't beat a basic 6 cylinder diesel for reliability whether it be a Toyota or Nissan with their lack of computers and electronics you're on a winner.
AnswerID: 552240

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:09

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:09
We had 2 of them over the years and they were a great car, never put a wheel wrong. Sold our last one to a young fella in Brisbane who was going to do it up for his daily ride. I reckon the old girl will be looking a million bucks by now. Only sold it cause it was getting a bit long in the tooth and the local Toyota dealer is probably the wealthiest business owner in the area. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 552381

Sponsored Links