FREE CAMPING RETURNS TO VIC PARKS

Submitted: Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 20:12
ThreadID: 117442 Views:2011 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
No cost, no booking policy restored at basic campsites operated by Parks Victoria

Basic CAMPSITES run by Parks Victoria are now free and will again be available on a first-come, first-serve basis, as opposed to the former policy of charging an overnight fee and having to book ONLINE.

The new Victorian Labour government, which came into power in late-2014, has reversed "fees imposed under the Coalition (which) made camping expensive for families, affected school camps and buried Parks Victoria in red tape".
Described as "unfair" by Victorian Environment Minister Lisa Neville, the "USER-PAYS" SYSTEM introduced by the previous Liberal Government saw fees increase at 98 CAMPGROUNDS run by Parks Victoria, including 11 parks that were previously free.
The new rules mean campers at over 500 basic sites at over 70 CAMPGROUNDS in 19 parks throughout regional Victoria will no longer be charged a $13 overnight fee.

Under the new system, bookings for these sites will remain in place until July 1, with automatic refunds up until that date. From then on, the basic sites will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

A basic site is defined as unserviced, with minimal ranger patrols and often no pit toilet.
There's also a chance FEE HIKES AT BETTER SERVICED CAMPSITES will be removed, with Parks Victoria being asked to "review all other camping options to make sure we are getting the balance right between affordable holidays and funding for new facilities".

"We want Victorian families to have an affordable holiday and get a chance to experience our great national parks," said Neville.

"The Coalition reduced Parks Victoria funding by $88 million since 2011, making families pay - charging them a fee for pitching a tent in a park."
I was told about this today by word of mouth from travellers who were talking to Information Centre people in Ararat and also received a call from friends in Tassie who were notified by Caravan and Camping Sales about this also. So I have copied/pasted from their site as will be interesting to see if this is correct.
Great to hear as travellers ourselves but even better for the Victorian Public who had frequented these Park camps before the ridiculous JUMP UP of Camping Prices last year.
Cheers Kev.

Published : Thursday, 2 April 2015
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 20:28

Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 20:28
It will be interesting to see if the current state government have matched their actions with $ and returned the funding to the ParksVic.

There was a lengthy conversation about it on the forum last week.

Free Parks Post

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552273

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 22:37

Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 22:37
Hi Kev n Kim

Yes, as per the linked thread, and as I have said on the other forums where you have posted today, also on Facebook and on my own website News Page -

" - - remember it is only on a number of campgrounds with basic services, such as pit toilets only or no toilets at all that the fees are being rescinded at this stage. Good news also that fees will be reviewed in other parks campgrounds. "

At present the fees stand at the obscenely high level on all other levels of service as per the adjusted fees schedule.

Victorian Parks Fee Schedule

The day visitors get all the same facilities free while the Victorian Government expects campers to take the full force of the costs. Perhaps they have discovered that people will stay cheaper in a fully serviced caravan park and visit free, so they gain nothing.

Let's see what (if any) changes this new government makes to the rest of the camping fees.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552276

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 22:43

Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 22:43
Note also that bookings for these free campgrounds will still apply until 30 June 2015.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 837839

Sponsored Links