Where to sell a 4wd tourer (location)

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:21
ThreadID: 117463 Views:2285 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,
my time to travel around Australia is coming to an end and I have to sell my beloved Nissan Patrol touring vehicle.

Since I don't really care where my journey ends (somewhere between Cairns and Adelaide), I was wondering if there would be any difference where I go to sell it? Rather the big cities with lots of people or smaller communities like Cairns with a more rugged environment?

It's a 2007 GU4 CRD all fitted out for touring and off-roading with all extras from rooftop tent to winch, suspension lift and awning and much more. So if possible I want to sell it as one and not take it apart.

Any recommendations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:45

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:45
Yes, pre sell it by advertising it now. Spend a paltry amount and put an add on exploroz and carsales.com.au with a delivery date to the city of your choice ( or make drop off negotiable). This way it may well be sold and give you a departure date and location to aim for.

Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552357

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:58
As Mick O said.

I just sold my Prado. Advertised it on Gumtree, eBay classifieds, carsales.com and here on EO. 2 responses from EO, one from each of the others. Sold it to one of the EO respondents. It was advertised on all four for only a week, and at a premium. Very happy.

Sold the tub on eBay for my dual cab ute (Prado replacement) to make way for a canopy. I live in Sydney, but the tub was going to be available in Brisbane. Made a stipulation for pick-up only in Brisbane and sold it within a fortnight. Again very happy.

Just specify your delivery place and date, you should be ok. Suggest you use more than one auction/outlet/advertiser service for greater exposure.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837922

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 22:00

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 22:00
And display as many photos are you can, both inside and out.

Nothing worse than an "interesting" buy, with only one or two mediocre photos, both of which were taken into the sun, or with a dirty lens.........or both.:-)

Good luck with the sale, and safe travels for the remainder of your journey,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837928

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 01:02

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 01:02
When advertising be aware you will likely get more scammers than real enquiries. Stories like they are away working on an oil rig, but want it your car, unseen. Their "agent" to pick it up after they have "paid" your through "Paypal" with an extra amount for delivery for you to pay their agent.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 837937

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 18:41

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 18:41
Another idea, not mine, is to have "For Sale" signs on your vehicle, together with your mobile number.

Surprising how just the 2 words & phone # grab your attention, if it's the type of vehicle you might be interested in. Some get stickers made for front & rear windows, but even a bold handwritten sign in the rear side windows might do the job.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837964

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 20:06

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 20:06
Be wary of a sign in the window - some councils will fine you for it when parked in town.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 837970

Follow Up By: Member - mike g2 - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 21:58

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 21:58
Agree- advertise via local freebies such as quokka, others such as gumtree or auto trader will charge a fee-worth it . use photos as others suggest. agree with motherhen- scammers are often the first to email you ,they have Ph No. ID unavailable or blocked and then ask for paypal or your bank details its amazingly obvious! I have had 3 so far with selling my van. the for sale sign thing is correct with some councils as carpark owners/residents are getting weary of vehicles parked and left for the day with signs. also when parked on council verges . could consider trading ( selling downsize )it in on something you want, hopefully with a bit of $ leftover? . did this with my navara and got a new i20 and some $ leftover in pocket from dealer.
MG.
FollowupID: 837984

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 16:01

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 16:01
That's good advice above - we sold our previous van by advertising while travelling through Darwin, and detailing our rough itinerary for the month or so ahead.
We had a list of potential buyers to visit on our way south, interestingly most of them in Victoria. We went via Brisbane, but ended up selling (for cash and close to the asking price) in Griffith.
And yes, watch out for the scammers - I reckon about half of our replies fell into that category.
Good luck
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552396

Sponsored Links