Rego and car licence whilst travelling Oz

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:00
ThreadID: 117479 Views:2276 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am about to become a no fixed address person and begin to travel around Oz. I have been told that there is a company in Qld that allows you to use their address for the purpose of car rego and licence details but I have not been able to locate such company. I currently have NSW rego and licence but NSW rego requires yearly inspection of car for renewal and this can be a pain. That is why I am searching for someone who allow me to use a non annual inspection address for QLD or another state that doesn't require annual inspections for my car and licence, any help appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:11

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:11
Do you have friends or family interstate that could do this for you ?
Suppose any old address would do.

Not sure if there are any ramifications for such an arrangement, except if re-regoing in another state, they usually ask where the vehicle is normally garaged (here, country SA pays less for their rego / compulsory TP bodily insurance).
AnswerID: 552434

Follow Up By: boffin125105 - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:27

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:27
No relative interstate that I am aware of I did have a niece in SA but she has passed away but her husband still lives there so maybe I should try him.
FollowupID: 838003

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:45

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:45
Worth a shot, all you have to do is keep track of rego due bys etc, easy in phone calender etc . . . then just contact rellie for info to billpay at Post Office, or online etc.
Will be a bonus if rellie lives in SA country.
FollowupID: 838005

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 08:25

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 08:25
I wouldn't trust the insurance company to honour a claim where I was proven to be in the wrong, if I used an address other than my residential address. Would you honour it if I just hit a Rolls and they had to fork out a huge wad to fix the house I smashed into, the Rolls and my own car. If you were the driver in the wrong then I wouldn't, no way. I would take your car, van and house to pay for the damages.

If they really need to find out your registered address for voting, rates etc, then it's not hard for people like the RTA, police, ATO and insurance companies to find.

Not worth it. Do the right thing by yourself and us and don't try to cheat the system. It's damned easy to get mail forwarded so you wont miss the rego and any fines they send you.
FollowupID: 838041

Follow Up By: boffin125105 - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 18:04

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 18:04
Hi vk,
I am not cheating the system I don't have physical address anymore I have no house to live in and I am living in my motor home so my address for voting will be my friends or relatives address and I won't have rates or elect or home phone bills for ato police or rta to check so that's not a worry.
FollowupID: 838187

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 18:24

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 18:24
Not pointing at you Boffin. I was talking to Les who said "any old address would do." In effect, he was telling you to cheat.

It is obvious from your opening post that you wanted to know the right way. And yes there should be a proper way. What about for voting. Maybe that address can be used. But people shouldn't be telling others to use "any old address".
FollowupID: 838189

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 19:54

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 19:54
Well I did say family or friends interstate, after all it needs I be a person you know.
As others have asked, how do backpackers and other such visitors get on ?
FollowupID: 838199

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:56

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 13:56
You would have to register it in the State of address to be strictly legal.

Lots of NSW people travel with their vans and cars and just get an inspection wherever they are. There are inspection stations in every State which your home state will recognize.

Where does your mail go to???

We used a friends PO Box for our mail and their address for rego purposes.

They forwarded any stuff we needed or scanned and emailed the rest.
AnswerID: 552435

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:37

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:37
You will find your home state will not recognize inspections done in another state. I have bought many vehicle interstate and found I couldn't register it in my name in my home state without the inspection done in my home state.
Funny enough I have registered vehicles in one state (inspection done in that state) while my licence is in another. For years they have been sending the renewals to my interstate address without any issues. Nothing illegal with this, I live and work in one state but have a car, boat and trailer garaged in another state which I regularly fly to.

Tony
FollowupID: 838056

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:29

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:29
In this instance it would be best to ask the relevant authority.

Nothing like getting the truth rather than opinions which may or may not be correct.
FollowupID: 838061

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:21

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:21
"You will find your home state will not recognize inspections done in another state. "

I live in NSW. I recently asked RMA (was RTA) about vehicle inspections in another state if rego became due while you are away.

First, if your absence is foreseeable and you don't forget your rego will become due, you can renew up to three months early.

Second, I was advised by RMA NSW that RMA will recognise an inspection from another state if done at an inspection station authorised to do road worthiness inspections for that state. However the inspection report will have to be mailed to someone who can then take the report and your rego papers to an RMA office and complete the business.

I would pre-arrange this so the appropriate RMA office has advance knowledge and get some kind of reference number or something. If your neighbour, uncle, cousin, brother-in-law, etc were to walk unannounced into a NSW RMA office with an inspection report from Bullamakanka in another state to renew your NSW rego, I would be very surprised if it was accepted on the spot.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 838080

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:30

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:30
Exactly It can be done at the correct place in each State.

I left a car in QLD for 18 months and deregistered it. When we came back I took it to a garage and got a roadworthy and then reregistered it. No worries.
FollowupID: 838081

Reply By: DesF - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 14:40

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 14:40
Hi, In S.A. we can do a direct debit for our rego . then we don't have to worry about, Easy as.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 552438

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 17:13

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 17:13
The rego address is where the vehicle is garaged when not in use.
The postal address can be elsewhere.

SA is a good State for rego due to on line renewals, no annual inspections and no rego stickers (for vehicles under 4.5T). It is also possible to simply not renew if the vehicle will not be used without any problem for renewal on line when required.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 552445

Follow Up By: Member - Nutta - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:27

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:27
So you could let it lapse for 6 months and then simply pay the reg and it starts again? No rwc etc?
FollowupID: 838022

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:33

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:33
Howdy All

"The rego address is where the vehicle is garaged when not in use."

What do the overseas tourists / backpackers do when they purchase a vehicle in Australia to travel this big brown land with no friends, relatives or a garaging address - then sell it before they depart ?

Just curious !

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 838023

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 06:09

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 06:09
Member - Nutta posted:
So you could let it lapse for 6 months and then simply pay the reg and it starts again? No rwc etc?

That is absolutely correct.

In SA you can rego either quarterly or annually. The 6 month option to rego has ceased.
No RWC or pink slips required for rego is SA, you simply log on to ezyreg pay your dues and away you go, though vehicles and trailers with interstate rego that want to transfer rego to SA require to pass SA government roadworthy inspection prior to transfer.
FollowupID: 838037

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:35

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:35
To Outback Gaz I bought a new van when in WA. Didnt have a home address anywhere.

Was told to use the van park address and change it before next registration was due. Presume backpackers can do the same.

We got back to QLD (Home state (about 8 months later) and changed rego over to QlLD the day we arrived. Had to do a roadworthy, gas certificate and get it measured. All Good No more worries
FollowupID: 838082

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:49

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 18:49
Thanks TomH

Was just curious as I bumped into a Pommie couple on my travels a few years ago and they bought an old commodore wagon with no friends, rellies or a home address here and were on the road for 2 years - didn't think about it at the time and I have since lost contact with them and can't ask them !

Happy and safe travels

Gazz
FollowupID: 838083

Reply By: John E - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 17:40

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 17:40
If it's any help, I have just had my NSW rego renewed from Tasmania.
NSW RMS will recognise authorised inspection stations from interstate. I phoned RMS Sydney and was given a fax number and told to fax the inspection certificate ,then phone and complete the process over the phone .It all went as planned.
I am registered as an online user and use a NSW PO box address. If you are a pensioner there is no charge for rego in NSW .
Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 552546

Reply By: mack c - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 21:05

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 21:05
Hi.

We had a house in Vict. that son and family lived in.
We live in QLD now.
We travelled 3 to 4 months of yr with Van and Patrol.

Car and van reg's in Vict. they sent renewals to us in QLD for the 10plus yrs we had that arrangement, not a problem.

I let car rego run out one yr. and had to renew in QLD.
A looong drive to put it over the pits.

I towed the QLD car and Vict reg'd van for another coupla yrs.

Nobody ever picked me. and we were pulled over a few times. I don't wear seat belts
(Medical exception) not one copper said a word?.

I doubt anybody will come to your party.

Responsibilities come into it. What if....
AnswerID: 552561

Sponsored Links