Oziexplorer

Submitted: Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 00:03
ThreadID: 117517 Views:2539 Replies:1 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I have ozi explorer on PDA but haven't used it for a long time. Have most of it on android tablet now and might use it soon up through the Kimberley via the Kidson Track. Is this still a good aid or is there better now. I mostly used it for the "snail trail" as we tend not to stay on tracks etc. and were able to retrace if needed.
thanks
Quentin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 08:20

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 08:20
Hi Quentin,

In my opinion, OziExplorer is the best, most flexible off-road navigation software around. There is none better, but some folk prefer an alternative like TrackRanger. It's a personal thing.

I have been using OziExplorer for many years, running it on a Dell PDA, then a Laptop (too intrusive in the car) and now on my second Hema Navigator. I also have a version on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet but still found this a little big in the cab.
One day I might be tempted to upgrade to the Hema 7" Navigator, but for the time being my 6" model fits my requirement nicely.

Coupled with a Laptop version to enable easier pre-planning of trips, OziExplorer will provide all you need for great moving map display, recording tracks as you travel and waypoint data of points of interest you may wish to record for future reference.

I have no personal experience with TrackRanger or another alternative, as OziExplorer has always provided me with everything I need when traveling the great Outback.
It is as Australian as Football, Meat Pies and Holden cars and other brands can only strive to emulate or surpass the Ozi product.

I have used Natmap maps for the first few years, but the Hema map series and now the EOTopo product David has developed to replace the now non-supported Geoscience NatMap series of maps, give superb coverage of the whole of Australia.

You could try a non licensed copy of TrackRanger to compare the differences with OziExplorer, but if you already have a licenced copy of Ozi, there is really no reason to change.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552569

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 08:46

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 08:46
Wot he said :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838154

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 09:40

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 09:40
And same again. But remember that for all map display and tracking programs, it is only as good as the map files.

Every few years we grab a new copy of the hema maps and replace the ones in the program. You never know if they have been updated or not.

And considering all the money we spend on wine and grog and niceties for a bush track the cost is irrelevant.
FollowupID: 838156

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:30

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:30
Thanks for your time and advice. Most appreciated. I found the PDA a little too small and am trying the Galaxy Tab which looks a little too big. Will look for an alternative (sounds like the 3 bears!)
Regards
Quentin
FollowupID: 838161

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 17:41

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 17:41
I tried a laptop once and it was a pain. Too much info for the driver to take in at a quick glance while driving. And where the driver has to concentrate more it was useless.

We prefer the small screen in the dash with OziCE running and just showing the track up to only about a few Kms ahead.

I wont use anything bigger than our small VMS box installed in the dash. Especially when you don't have a navigator.
FollowupID: 838183

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 23:49

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 23:49
Hi

Just to clarify, not sure if it was mentioned, but there is no CE or Android version of Trackranger (PC only) so not an option for the OP based on original question/info provided.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 838222

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 00:20

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 00:20
Thanks again to you all for your input. I have talked to oziexplorer today and I think this is where I will stay. I am having some difficulty tranfering maps etc from my old system to the new but I will puddle through. I am a Ludite. Again, we really only use the "snail trail" just in case. I am a great believer in older forms of navigating and we are still here to tell the tale. Thanks to you all. Regards Quentin
FollowupID: 838224

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 07:37

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 07:37
Hi There, I too am an Ozi advocate, and have mine on my 7" google Nexus tablet. Run Hema maps as well as many others, especially some 1966 maps of the back of Broken Hill which are fantastic for finding old goat tracks to navigate around a huge gully or whatever. EO Maps were fantastic for our Cape York trip last year.

Used to run a HP HX4700 with Ozi and loved it, but it got old and slightly unreliable. The nexus is perfect. I also run Sygic maps for a great cost effective onroad experience, just paid $50 for the navigatable maps of the whole world.Too easy.

All the Best

Bonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838228

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:26

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:26
Quentin
I also like the snail trail. I will sit here and build up a track file along the track that I plan to take and just follow it. If there is any deviation then we can get back "on track" later or even the next week.

Bonz
Got a link for the Sygic maps? I will google it but just in case, can you give me a link. Don't need any outside Oz ones as there isn't any chance of going there.

FollowupID: 838232

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:34

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:34
Bonz
Looked at the Sygic site and there is only one reference to Australia. No maps, just an Australian voice or something. Don't worry about it . Thanks anyway. I have plenty actually and should stop at that.
FollowupID: 838234

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:54

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:54
Theyve got Australia and NZ maps for this area mate, as well as all over the world. I just downloaded Sweden Norway Germany Canada and Hawaii for our upcoming trip.

Works on iStuff and Android. Maps are free to download, you pay for routing turn by turn etc, but at $50 for a lifetime license its cheap as chips. One purchase and it runs on every bit of iStuff I have, phone pod pad etc

They have a free 7 day turn by turn thing.

Its THE cheapest way to go, and maps are always being updated

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838236

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:55

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:55
Maps are accessed from inside the app I should have said.

Regards

Bonz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838237

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:37

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:37
Hi Bonz
I don't want turn by turn. I want stuff maps that show places like the Canning, vic high country, Simpson etc. No bitumen if we can help it. I don't even recall when we last used city/town type of navigation. Bush stuff. I will have another look. Tnx

Next trip is the Madigan Line and I am after details on it. I do have some but it doesn't hurt to keep looking.

I think that the apps comment may be for someone else. I don't run apps. I use WindowsCE in the car and a desktop at home. No other toys and not one app to be seen..

Tnx
FollowupID: 838243

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:39

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:39
Bonz
Just a thought. Were you saying that the maps are part of the App. That they are not accesable outside the app like the Hema maps are?
FollowupID: 838244

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:49

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:49
yep thats right, you load them inside the app, but they are free and pretty good

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838245

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:58

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:58
Maybe no good to me Bonz. I want to use them in Ozi.

Do they cover what I want? Simpson desert and the Canning?
FollowupID: 838247

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 12:04

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 12:04
No mate they are your on road solution, Hema and EOTopo are your friends for those patches of delight, and I do mean both sets pf maps.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838263

Sponsored Links