Rivnuts

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 13:31
ThreadID: 117616 Views:2542 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Some time ago there was a discussion on blind nuts, or rivnuts as they are also called.

Here's a link if anyone is interested in getting a bunch of them.

Rivnut kit
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 16:42

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 16:42
Thank you GB, a great price.

My son and I will be buying one of those.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552917

Reply By: Stephen_L - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 18:37

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 18:37
I have one of these exact kits and it has served me very well and has been used many times.

This was the sort of tool I bought for a specific job but thought might me handy to have every now and then. Turns out I seem to keep finding uses for it, and have used it more on mates cars than mine.

Recently I borrowed a mates rivnut tool and the difference was chalk and cheese.

His version was a sort of ratcheting type. Far less effort required to insert the rivnut and much more control over how much you compress the insert. However his cost much more (as is always the case).This type

A great tool to have.
AnswerID: 552922

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 21:45

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 21:45
The OKA has lots of 6mm rivnuts so I bought one of those tools some years ago to replace failed nuts.
Couple of tips...
1. Filing a couple of 'nicks' in the hole with a small triangular file provides more anti spin resistance.
2. Nuts are also available in aluminium - useful for some jobs.
3. The OKA also has some BIG ones (12mm +) in the chassis. These are normally only set with a hydraulic tool, but if you give then a couple of tack welds around the head, they can then be pulled up using a bolt, flat washer and long handle on the spanner.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 552932

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 06:47

Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 06:47
These things are also called Nutserts and I have used many over the years. Fasteners Galore who are based in Qld carry a big stock in all sizes in steel, Al, SS etc and sell at good prices in small and large quantities. I usually get next day delivery in Sydney.

Fasteners Galore

No connection etc.... just a good source when you need nuts, bolts etc quickly.

cheers
AnswerID: 552935

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 09:02

Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 09:02
I have what looks to be the same tool
It works fine but if you are wanting to set a lot of M8 plus size ones a bigger tool would be better

That tool is fine though and happy with it
AnswerID: 552941

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 11:48

Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 11:48
I bought a similar if not same tool from the USA several years ago.

The thing that has me beat is that although the rivnuts are all metric internal thread, the drill sizes required to fit them are imperial.

You can usually get a metric drill pretty close to what is required , but it is a very strange thing to do IMHO.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 552950

Sponsored Links