Road Conditions Oodnadatta Track

We are leaving in a week on a trip up the Centre via the Oodnadatta Track. At this stage we plan to go up from Leigh Creek to Hamilton Downs and into Dalhousie, then through Mt Dare to Finke and out to the Stuart Highway at Kulgera. We have travelled on this track many times now (always with our offroad caravan) and are familiar with it.

I am starting to monitor the road reports but want to know if anyone has been on the track lately. Road reports say there are some "soft" sections.

(We are then heading out on the Gary Junction Road but will ask for advice re that route in a separate thread).

Any advice from those who have been on it recently?
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - istefg - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 16:45

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 16:45
Hi I just came back from there, did the Oodnadatta 3 weeks ago and it was being graded as I was there, it's like being on the freeway. Up to Hamilton is also very good, from there I went straight to Dalhoousie, the track along the Hamilton creek was closed but there was no sign at the start, only at the top, this was as expected very, very rough with a lot of washouts. Dalhousie to Mt Dare is pretty rough but OK, there is a stretch of soft sand but not too deep. Same for Mt Dare to Finke, a bit of soft sand when following the river bed. From Finke to Kulgera, it's very wide, the beginning is very corrugated but the track improves as you get near the Stuart Highway.
Have fun, I was on a motorcycle and it was great.
AnswerID: 553167

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 17:59

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 17:59
So the track in from Hamilton Station was open to traffic? It is often rough with gibbers etc but have not previously experienced much in the way of washouts on that track from Hamilton Stn to Dalhousie....
FollowupID: 838923

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 18:37

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 18:37
Chris,

Some sections are showing as "caution" while others are "green".
The Road Alert section is always up to date and should be checked before departure.

Road Alerts - Oodnadatta Track
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553178

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 20:31

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 20:31
Yes Sand Man, I am indeed following road reports, as I said above. What I am seeking is advice from people who have recently travelled the track on those sections.
FollowupID: 838932

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 08:22

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 08:22
But why?

No matter how good the track conditions may be "recently", it is today and tomorrow that counts.

A bit of rain can turn a good surface into a slippery quagmire in a matter of a few hours, so your "quest" for recent track conditions is rather pointless.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 838949

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 11:30

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 11:30
I certainly take your point that reports need to be recent and I will be monitoring various road reports up until we leave. But a recent traveller can always shed light on what those reports (which can be tantalisingly brief) actually mean. For example, one road report is saying sections are "Soft". How soft? What does that actually mean? Are there any washouts? If we were travelling only with a car and without a van on behind I probably would not be too bothered.

So any extra advice is always helpful. Just covering all bases is all.
FollowupID: 838956

Follow Up By: RobAck - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 15:13

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 15:13
The locals who use those road all the time provide advice to DPTI so it is monitored daily. As well Trevor Wright and his pilots at William Ck will check sections when in the air and the property owners do the same.

The one thing you will never know is the condition if rain has gone through with a 12 hour period or so but the DPTI guys monitor the weather radar all the time to keep track of that sort of thing and a couple of phone calls to the locals will give them a quick answer to open or close

Rob
FollowupID: 838969

Sponsored Links