Dirk Hartog Island

Submitted: Friday, May 01, 2015 at 20:53
ThreadID: 117689 Views:5702 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I have just visited Dirk Hartog Island, out at the western portion of Shark Bay. It has been more than 10 years since someone has put a thread up about the island on EO, so I thought I would show a few pictures and thoughts.

This has been my number one bucket list location for many, many years - probably ever since primary school, when I first was taught about the visit by Dirk Hartog in 1616. He of course left an inscribed plate attached to a post at the cape at the north end of the island detailing his visit - now called Cape Inscription. Second only to Janszoon, when he visited the western side of Cape York Peninsular in 1606, he was an early European to our shores. There is speculation that Janszoon never set foot on the soil, so Hartog may have been the first to do so.

The plate is located in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, and is the oldest European artefact from Australia in existance.

Subsequent visits to the cape and the island by others are many, and well documented.

I heard that EO member JB was heading to the island so I asked him if I could come and take a mate with me. With his blessing the scene was set and we took our vehicles over on the barge. We spent 3 days and 3 nights on the island.

The island is mostly a National Park now, and progress is well underway to eradicate all the ferals with the plan to reintroduce native mammals in a couple of years. (I had to leave poor Massie at home on this trip, I was glad to see her when I got back home). I did see one goat though near the cape.

Apparently only 8 tourist vehicles are allowed on the island at one time, all of the tourists we saw were fishing. We chucked a line in a few times at various locations, didn't catch anything though. From one section of the coast up high on the eastern side we could see many sharks, turtles and Sting Rays. North of Louisa Bay at a point, there were thousands of fish huddling together near the rocks. There are many locations on the island were you can access deep water from the shore - you could see pretty big fish swimming around - all over the place really.

With Cyclone Olwyn recently going through the area the flies had great breeding opportunity and I can honestly say I have never seen so many flies before. My mate almost went insane.

JB and I split up and explored different areas. I hung mostly at the northern and eastern side.

The tracks are mostly the usual sandy type, though the corrugations are pretty bad in places. The island is Western Australia's largest apparently and it did take a while to get from one place to another.

I was most impressed with the island and have already booked my place for next years 400th anniversary of Hartogs Landing.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 21:40

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 21:40
Gidday Alan

great story, great pics

I was lucky to be able to work on a turtle tagging project on Dirk Hartog one summer nearly a decade ago.

Sadly we mostly only went ashore at night (bloody turtles lay eggs at night) but it seemed a wild and wonderful place and it was hard not to be moved when visiting Cape Inscription and standing as you did next to that post.

At that time the negotiations over the Island's future with the leaseholders were ongoing but the planning had started to get rid of the goats (we saw hundreds) and cats and reintroduce some animals that used to live there.

The fishers won't be happy while acess is restricted but it is a fragile environment and needs to be protected.

cheers

AnswerID: 553180

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 23:26

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 23:26
Hey Rocco,

It's great to see a fantastic place that's almost recovered from the ferals (including sheep).

We saw quite a few turtles, the ones on the western side seemed to be bigger. Didn't see any egg laying, or baby turtles.

And yes for sure, was quite a moving experience to visit the inscription spot.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838942

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 21:59

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 21:59
Nice timing with the photos, Alan!
I am currently teaching my class about Australia's settlement and yesterday I told them about the Dutch sailors. We live on the east coast, all green and rolling hills, and I'm sure they think that most of Australia's coastline is the same!
I drove up the west coast about 20 years ago and I was after some pictures I could show my students to reinforce why the Dutch sailed away and didn't persevere with the idea of sticking around!
Your pictures will paint the thousand words that I needed and will teach them about our country's hugely varying landscapes.
Thank you for that!

I wonder what else is on Exploroz that I could use?! I never thought of it as a teaching resource before!

:)
AnswerID: 553181

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, May 01, 2015 at 23:57

Friday, May 01, 2015 at 23:57
Hi Robyn,

I'm glad to hear that European settlement is still being taught (been a little while).

Feel free to show the pictures to your students, maybe your lesson will inspire one of them to take further interest.

And you'll be surprised at the broadness and experience of the EO fraternity, so don't hold back on your questions.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838944

Follow Up By: new boy - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 10:26

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 10:26
Hi Robyn Dont forget the Batavia which hit Beacon Island in the Abrolhos group out from Geraldton approx 375 plus years ago .There are several books out one is the "Island of the angry Ghosts" and Peter Fitzsimmons has also written one.
Beacon used to have fishermans camps on it but the WA museum in conjuction with the dutch government have removed all camps jetties ect and returning the island to how the survivors would have found it.
FollowupID: 839077

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 03:40

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 03:40
Good stuff Al.
Did you camp or stay in the quarters?

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 553184

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 10:18

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 10:18
Hi John,

We camped out, I brought a tent and swag but only used the swag - mate used a small tent. The barge is big enough to bring a camper trailer over.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838952

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 05:34

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 05:34
Thanks Alan for telling us about your latest adventure; looks like you guys had a great time taking in the sights and following up on our very early history.

Dirk Hartog landed there in 1616, that's 150 years before Capt Cook was on the east coast.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 553185

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 06:41

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 06:41
True, Hartog was a long time ahead...and then the English beat La Perouse by a matter of hours...and then there's Warrnambool's mahogany ship...
They learned about explorers last year (knew about Burke and Wills et al) and were able to tell me about the drip guns that enabled the ANZACs to withdraw, so have faith...history is well and truly taught...it's just that, with the cramming of so many other things during high school, some things are later forgotten.
I told the kids that we may well have been still here in our lovely east coast classroom because our families may well have still migrated, but goodness only knows which language we'd have been speaking...Dutch, Spanish or French!
I've also taught them more about Burke and Wills' trip because I went to Innamincka 2 years ago (the explorers went walking through what was like a Woolworths to the Aborigines but white fella was yet to learn about bush tucker), about Muttaburra and about Elliot the dinosaur's discovery near Winton...one little boy said "Where haven't you been?!"
He doesn't fully understand about needing a lifetime to do it all, does he?
:)
FollowupID: 838947

Reply By: OBJ - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 08:18

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 08:18
Nice to see this. Thanks for posting it.
What sort of money were they asking to get across to the island? I'd also have loved to have seen it when I was in the area, but the money they were asking was designed to keep people out of the place, so I obliged.
Love your work equinox.
AnswerID: 553188

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 10:22

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 10:22
Hi OBJ,
It is fairly pricey I guess, however the rewards are good.
It was $680 for vehicle plus $88 per person return.
Also $19 per person per night to camp (DPaw Fees)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838953

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 22:06

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 22:06
Hi Al.

Good post. Yes there were the odd fly or two; turned our seven night booking into just four...at least, unlike you two sods, we had mesh head nets. But what a place!

Here's some extra pics for thread viewers:

AnswerID: 553266

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 21:00

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 21:00
Ah yes - next time I will have a fly net, already bought one. I heard that up the road in Coral Bay they sold about 900 in two days.....

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839135

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 21:11

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 21:11
There's a protest movement being started Alan...

Cheers.
FollowupID: 839137

Sponsored Links