permits for the great central road

we know we need 2 permits as this trip was not decided on till this week we have not had time to get them do we have to go to Alice for them. were told then denied that we could get them a visitors centre could do them for us.

has anyone any of this can not get any information from visitors centre as Monday is public holiday in the North. We are leaving Adelaide Tuesday morning
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 23:07

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 23:07
You can get the one for WA on line from DAA instantly from their automated service if for crossing within the three days. Alternatively you can get it from the Ngaanyatjarra office in Alice Springs (office hours).

For NT you can get the permit on line by return email - within one working day. You can also get it in Alice Springs (office hours) from the CLC office in the main street (Stuart Highway though town).

I am babysitting grandies right now, but if you want links to these or more information, send me and MM and I will look them up when I get home.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 553201

Reply By: The Landy - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 23:31

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 23:31
Hi Mengler

Both can be obtained via online applications as indicated by Motherhen. Follow the links here...and enjoy your trip!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

Ngaanyatjarra Council

For people travelling through Aboriginal Land in the Central Reserves of Western Australia to, or from the NT border to Laverton, the permit is obtained online from the the Ngaanyatjarra Council website www.Ngaanyatjarra.org.au Their contact email address is ngcouncil@ngaanyatjarra.org.au

Central Land Council (CLC)

For people travelling through Aboriginal Land in the Northern Territory to, or from the WA border to Yulara, you need to use the Central Land Council website www.clc.org.au to obtain your permit. Their contact email address is permits@clc.org.au
AnswerID: 553202

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 16:03

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 16:03
Hi Landy
Do we need to apply for a particular 'time frame' for these permits ??
We will be travelling the GCR from Yulara to Laverton - sometime in June.
Leaving Sydney about June 1- and have no idea when we'll be on the GCR.

Cheers
FollowupID: 839010

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 17:56

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 17:56
Yes, you will need to nominate travelling times. Once you know apply then, no problem in obtaining them for the GCR.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 839016

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 21:39

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 21:39
Hi Wombat

Western Australia are inflexible with times compared to Northern Territory.

As we were touring the West Macs, Palm Valley, Kings Canyon then on to Uluru, our time frame was unknown.

For Northern Territory I got the first one with a three week window, then realised we would be longer than that, so got another for the next three weeks, and we travelled within the latter. These were from the CLC office in Alice Springs.

The Ngaanyatjarra Office in Alice Srings gave me the forms and the advice to use the fax service from the Yulara Visitor Centre (where they charged a fax fee of something like one dollar). We just had to watch our days as Ngaanyatjarra are not open on weekends. Fax sent one day, and permit faxed back next morning in time for us to leave. For those travelling in the other direction, the managers at Tjukayirla Roadhouse have arranged with Ngaanyatjarra to offer a similar service.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839049

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 21:40

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 21:40
Oops

The Ngaanyatjarra Office in Alice Springs
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839050

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 00:08

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 00:08
Back home now. For the automated WA permit, see DAA Permits

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 553203

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 16:25

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 16:25
The way I read the WA permit- it is only for 3 days transit from NT border to Laverton ?? Have I missed something here ??
It's about 900km distance, and sure can be covered in 3-days but we tend to 'puddle duck' along and enjoy the journey.
What happens if it takes us more than the time allotted??

FollowupID: 839173

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 16:31

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 16:31
Yes Wombat. It is a transit permit for that time. IF you were caught out, you were delayed by unforeseen circumstances. I don't think it has happened to anyone yet.

We did have a breakdown along the way and had to stop overnight in an old gravel to do repairs. We could have been there for weeks if we had to wait for parts.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839174

Sponsored Links