Birdsville track

Submitted: Monday, May 11, 2015 at 15:14
ThreadID: 117804 Views:2025 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are planing to do Birdsville track end July 2015. Has anybody been on it recently and tell me what the conditions are? I shall be towing an off road caravan.
Thanks in advance
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: terryt - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 16:18

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 16:18
Came down in early mid april in 2wd Mercedes 140d van. Old Strez from Innaminka was in pretty good nick.
Rest of the way had heaps of quite big and deep bulldust holes but ok if you drove to conditions. We sat on about 70 or 80 kph but kept an eagle eye out for the holes.
AnswerID: 553586

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 16:29

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 16:29
Hi Escapesilv, went along the Birdsville about 3 weeks ago. No issues, just the usual good sections, rocky sections and well maintained sections. Were doing some road works on SA side of the border crossing. Shouldn't have any troubles with the van provided you get you tyre pressures right and don't go too fast. Some minor wash outs through Pandie Pandie Station but likely they'll be gone by the time you go through.

Enjoy the trip.

Cheers Rob K
AnswerID: 553587

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 18:36

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 18:36
Mate,

It is way too early to ask about track conditions yet. They can change in an instant with a bit of rain.

We are planning to drive the Birdsville Track last week in August and I will only be looking at the Road Alert section a week or so before we depart. We will also be towing an off road van.
Even while traveling the track, you may be met with changing conditions.
On a previous trip some years ago, we were camping overnight at Mungerannie and were advised early the next morning if we were heading either north or south, go now as heavy rain was on its way. It was already drizzling and the first 50k north towards Birdsville was very interesting indeed. The vehicle was sliding sideways into the left verge, then being gently flicked out again. The speed was about 15 kph.

Oh the joys of outback travel:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553592

Follow Up By: Member - escapesilv - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 09:46

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 09:46
Hi sand man
I understand that but have been told it has not been serviced in the last years and people are recording tyre and rear window damage due to sharp and large rocks.
Then again I don't know if they reduced the pressure in their tyres or not, and how fast they were going.
Thanks.

Rob.
FollowupID: 839505

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 10:05

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 10:05
Rob,

Be assured the Birdsville Track has a reputation for wiping out rear windows and it has nothing to do with how recently it has been graded.

Part of the track crosses gibber plains and these small stones are the prime culprit.

I speak from experience, having my rear window shattered even though I had a stone guard fitted to my off road trailer.

The cheapest form of protection is a beer carton, or similar, duct taped to your rear window, for the section between Mungerannie and Birdsville.

I now have a Stone Stomper trapeze fitted to further lessen stones bouncing off stoneguard frames, or peppering the front of my van.

Cheers Rob and have a good trip.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 839508

Follow Up By: Dough Boy - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 08:34

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 08:34
G'day Bill
Harsh doesn't do it justice
I have a stone guard on the camper and use Corflute on the rear windows of the truck , only to find on the last trip a tail light had been a casualty and the Corflute was riddled with chips and nicks from the relentless gibber rocks , still better than replacing the rear windows on the cruiser I guess !
Cheers
DB
FollowupID: 839651

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 19:16

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 19:16
Like Bill says, the rain makes the difference.
So nobody can tell you what it will be like in July.
If it is dry, with no recent rain, it will be an 80kph graded highway (not a track!)
If it had rain a few weeks earlier, you will need to take it easy in the chewed up sections.
If it is wet when you travel, stop and give it a miss. Too many dramas towing a van on slippery mud. After half an inch or rain, it usually gets closed.
AnswerID: 553599

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 23:22

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 23:22
Hi Rob

As per the replies above, it is still fare too early to be looking at track conditions. Just last week, the track was open with caution due to local rain, and now it is back to normal.

We should be up there in about 3 weeks and will only start checking road condition about a week before we go. We have be caught out on the track many times in the wet and it is no fun, and never ever to be caught out again.

The best site to keep an eye on is the Outback SA Roads report.

Do your homework, as there is lots to see along the way.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 553617

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 10:03

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 10:03
+1. Just a bit of rain can close the track. Best to check the weather and the SA road conditions report the day before you get onto the Tk. And have plan B as it can take a day or more to reopen after the rain stops.

As one local advised on our first trip into the Channel country: you can get anywhere around here provided you're prepared to stop.
FollowupID: 839507

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 19:56

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 19:56
Hi Rob

Sorry, but I should have included a direct link to Outback Road Conditions. If you open the link below, it will give the current conditions of the Birdsville Track. I have just opened it and the lower section looks like rain has effected it, with it open with caution.

Outback Road Conditions - Birdsville section

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839546

Sponsored Links