Yilgarn Planning

Submitted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 11:35
ThreadID: 117814 Views:1714 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Calling Yilgarn afficionados...

Anyone know, pls, whether the tracks shown on the e-maps from Diemals area to Pigeon Rocks, and from Pigeon Rocks to Mt Jackson are do-able these days. I am guessing the Windarling mine has stuffed up the latter, but there might be a by-pass?

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:57

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:57
My info is a few years old now ill try and dig up the trip reports as I did it over 2 trips
AnswerID: 553630

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 13:25

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 13:25
Many thanks; will be very useful.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 839520

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:58

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:58
John, have you checked with Phil B, also give the mines dept a call they should have up to date data on tracks in that area.

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 553631

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 13:28

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 13:28
Hi Mike.

Yes did chk with Phil; he only has a bit of info re the Die Hardy - Yorkradine, which I already had courtesy of Rod W earlier. Might have a go at climbing Faye Bluff this time - last time was a bit warm.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 839521

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 13:05

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 13:05
Rod W Will hopefully be along soon..hes a bit modest but a real wealth of info on the area and has enormous passion
AnswerID: 553632

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:58

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:58
G'day John,

From Diemals Station Homestead (and don't forget to have a chat to Tony and give him a couple of packets of loose leaf Bushells tea, I'll be bleep if you don't do both) there is a super highway (Tony will give you directions) that will take you south to Pigeon Rock. From Pigeon Rock the track heads in a southwestly direction and after a short run you will come to a track on your left heading south (there could be a tree with an old motor bike tyre hanging off it at this junction), disregard this track as it does take you right into the Windarling mine. A short distance further on there will be another track on your left heading southwest, at this junction there will be a very old "Shell" sign to Mt Jackson, this track for the most is quite easy also along this track is an old rusty tin can hanging from tree let me know what you find in the can. At the southern end and just before you get to Mt Jackson this track it crosses Buddarning Peak area which is a little bit rough. Your third option is to disregard both of the above left hand turns and keep heading straight west to Clampton mine which has a bypass and veers south to Mt Jackson.

You should be able to get Telstra phone reception from the top of Faye Bluff and on Pigeon Rock.

When are you going? I could tag along.
AnswerID: 553664

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 23:26

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 23:26
Hi Rod.

Many thanks; that's gold! If I do it, I'll certainly look up Tony with the goodies, and pass on regards.

At this stage it's just a planning scenario, but it would likely be done in early-mid June, but at the end of a bigger two week trip coming down from the northish. So can't give any certainty. I like the idea of the old 'Shell' sign - they are certainly quite the relic these days...

If it all comes off I should be able to give you a 'heads up' closer to the day. Are you still on your '1949' email address?

Cheers.
FollowupID: 839556

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:53

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:53
Yep that's the one.
FollowupID: 839562

Sponsored Links