TOW HITCH

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 15:06
ThreadID: 11790 Views:1928 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I inspected my tow hitch and found that where the ball goes the hole was elongated, so a mate gave me one he had in his garage, the problem is the locating hole for the pin and clip on the shaft is further back, making it stick out further, is this ok, or if not can i make a new hole for the pin 75mm closer to the ball, making it the same as my original hitch, 75mm being the difference, the new hitch is overall 75mm longer than my original, the difference in lengh is in the sqare tube that slides into the tow bar everthing else is the same, apart from the fact that the new one has extra bracing i think it might be a heavier duty than my original. Oh i have 2 trailer's one ball hitch, one tregg on the camper.

Baz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ThePublican - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 17:35

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 17:35
Baz, after all the rigamoroll of the ford tow hitch recall your best bet is to use the after market one even though 75mm longer,,Torque Ford in Brisbane wanted our ford explorer for a FULL day to check the tow hitch serial number if a match for the recall , needless to say the dealer principal recieved an almighty earfull from ford Aust when we complained about a 40second job requiring all day,, turned out that ford did a recall on the recall as it was only the 1600 hitch ,not the1800 or2500 as fitted to the ford explorer that had 1 and only 1 failure in the U.S.A ,, Nil failures in Aust as the hitch tube is actually a Hayman Reece unit.
AnswerID: 53083

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:48

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:48
Thank's for that, we got the recall letter but our hitch is a hayman reece 2500kg, though it was fitted by Ford, we are in Sydney but we bought the car over the internet from Strapp Ford Doncaster in Melbourne.

Baz.

FollowupID: 314847

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 19:40

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 19:40
Hi Baz
If you are lucky, the hitch will be made by hayman reese and they have a lifetime warrantee. Had an incident several years ago where so nice person decided I did not need the pin and knocked it off. Borrowed a friend's pin and as we heading passed Hayman Reese in Dandenong, called in. They came out an noticed that there was play in the hitch, the hole in the tongue had elongated, they replaced it with no charge. The hitch was 11 years old and we had towed a caravan behind the Ford for 160000 miles and told them so, still no charge
Ray
AnswerID: 53094

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 22:35

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 22:35
Thank's Raymond i'll give Hayman Reece a try on Monday.

Baz.
FollowupID: 314863

Reply By: Roachie - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 20:07

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 20:07
Baz,
This might sound a bit stupid...and I don't profess to being a maths expert or anything. However, IMHO, the extra 75mm back would slightly change a couple of factors....
1) towball weight "could" be effectively increased on the vehicle's suspension. (think of it like a see-saw with the load on the end, say a child, being easier to lift the further back you sit/push down etc). But I have no idea how much effect this would have; could be barely/not noticeable.
2) Departure angle could be compromised a fraction.

Other than those (probably insignificant) changes, I can see no reason why the longer hitch wouldn't be quite ok.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 53096

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 22:32

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 22:32
I thought of that, that was one of the reason's for the question i posed, so no i don't think it's stupid, the other thing i was concerned about was would it weaken the hitch, you know everyone keeps telling you about modifying thing's, so i was a bit worried, don't want to be in the middle of knowhere and it break. Departure angle is bad enough on the Explorer don't want to make it worse. Thank's Roachie.

Baz.
FollowupID: 314862

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:32

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:32
I had mine extended as we could'nt open the barn door without jackknifing the camper , now its easy with no real difference in angle or towball wght.
AnswerID: 53137

Sponsored Links