News Story - Gas Cylinders in Vehicles

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 18:07
ThreadID: 11875 Views:1717 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Have a look at tonights News bulletins to see what can happen if a gas cylinder stored in your vehicle starts leaking and goes up! Footage from an incident in QLD.

Not sure if it was a camping style cylinder or an LPG vehicle fuel tank but it was in a Rav4 which I don't think I've heard of as having LPG conversions.

Very spectacular footage and the driver was lucky to escape with moderate burns.

Check your cylinders regularly!

Steven
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: navaraman - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:26

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:26
I've seen plenty of videos and photos of the results of LPG cylinders going off whilst working for the gas comapny in the UK. One car was found over a mile away from the explosion, it's scary stuff. I've worked with LPG most of my life and it still scares me, treat it with respect it can be nasty stuff.
AnswerID: 53462

Follow Up By: Ray (Geelong) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:28

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:28
Fairly unusual for LPG powered cars to blow up isn't it?. I know there's been a few accidents with LPG, usually caused by backyarders doing bodgy work. Didn't the LPG association set fire to a few LPG converted cars many years ago to convince the public that this stuff was safe when correctly installed. I believe that none of the LPG cylinders exploded but the petrol tanks sure did. Yep, lpg or petrol it pays to tread lightly with both of them.
FollowupID: 315163

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:51

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:51
It happened in Cairns and was a 9kg bottle in the back seat, they said it was leaking and could have been set off when his mobile phone started to ring or something. I though you would be able to smell it, but I remember after having the bottle filled it smells of gas for some time. Next time I get one filled I will get them to hose it down before putting into the car and taking home or might have to take it around in the trailer. Same thing happened in Brisbane or Sydney around Christmas.
Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 53494

Reply By: Member - Edward J - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:11

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:11
I've heard that this sort of thing can happen when the vent (the screw down thingy) has not been opened all the way during filling. This will cause a build of of ice in the venting valve due to high pressure and this prevents the vent then being closed properly when the cylinder is full. When the cylinder is then put in the back of your car, the ice melts and you have a slow leak out of the vent.

Probably best to check for any icing up before the cylinder is placed in the vehicle.
AnswerID: 53524

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 14:51

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 14:51
Thanks Edward will keep an eye out for that, was wandering why I could all ways smell the gas after a refill.
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 315238

Reply By: navaraman - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 16:15

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 16:15
Here in SA it is getting harder to get cylinders refilled at servos etc, they are all moving towards exchange cylinders. They are getting more and more concerned about litigation arising from incorrectly filling cylinders. I've always got a pump action spray bottle full of soapy water in my car as I use it for work, I check my cylinders before putting them in the car (secured in the canopy in my case). I've seen people with them rolling about in the back, wouldn't recommend doing that.
AnswerID: 53561

Sponsored Links