Easter - Uncrowded camping north of Sydney - interested read on

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 19:30
ThreadID: 11879 Views:4212 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Easter usually has camping spots over crowded ! Anyone interested in a new area within Yengo NP just north of Sydney with some fantastic views and some great trails which has only a few people booked there for the easter weekend. The place is called Big Yango at the base of Mt Yengo which has controlled access permitted to the area via a key - available from NPWS at Gosford. A key deposit of $200 is required and camping is approx $4 for kid and around $7.50 for adults. If anyone is interested call NPWS at Gosford on 43204219 - the area has not been promoted as yet and so not many people know of this nice little gem of a place. A number of 4WD clubs already know of the place and are working with NPWS in a volunteer program of provison of access whilst providing management assistance.
What's there - open pasture areas, 4WD trails venturing into remote areas of Yengo NP (not hugely difficult trails), homestead which you can book out, large group camp ground with composting loos that are accessible to wheelchairs, remote camping opportunities, no crowds, no trail bikes, close to Sydney. What it does not have is no swimming holes or fishing spots - oh well can't have it all. If your coming off the F3 freeway at Calga / Peats Ridge it will take you atleast 2 hours to get there from this point. Because Easter is so close you would have to pick the key up from Gosford prior to departure as the post will not get the key to you before this weekend. Have fun if you go.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:16

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:16
Gee Jeff I thought I was the only one you were going to tell about big yengo.
We may have to have a explore oz meeting there over easterif too many turn up.
We booked in today to mountain Arm. The NPWS people were great.
Cheers
Vince
AnswerID: 53459

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 21:22

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 21:22
Hey Vince - thought I would have to tell a few others - when are you getting there ? Might catch up with you there ! Point you to a few spots ! Mountain Arm is quite nice - once you cross over the creek from Racecourse and head down Mountain Arm - there is a old cattle feed shelter shed which has been slashed around - not a bad spot. Just a word of caution around the creeks etc is to wear long pants as there a nettles that give a good sting. Water is available from the homestead tanks down the bottom at the sheds and so is fire wood. What UHF channel will you be on - if you have one ? Otherwise have a great Easter.
FollowupID: 315157

Reply By: Slammin - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:42

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:42
hey what's wrong with trail bikes, sorry but they're the same as 4wd's etc it's not the group as a whole but a few stupid kids that create this sort of view.

That's as bad as saying top spot with no 4wd's you get idiots in any crowd.
AnswerID: 53483

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:34

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:34
I've yet to see bike riders, whether young or old consider anyone else but them selves. And if it is only the young ones its their parents that dont give a dam about others.

I do a lot of horse riding in the High Country and I would rather have a 4WD come along a track than a motor bike rider.
FollowupID: 315173

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:02

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:02
Generalisation's, i have a 4b and a trail bike and i have come across the good and the bad in both, i wonder if people who sail yaght's hate all people who ride jetski's or drive speed boat's, remember the bush is for everyone not just "YOU". IMHO.

Baz.
FollowupID: 315185

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:24

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:24
I ride trail bikes myself and as a general rule most do the right thing. Though in a National Park situation people go there for the peace and quiet and unfortunately there are riders out there that remove the baffles from their bikes and annoy the hell out of everyone else.
Hey Slammin and Baz have you got the stock baffles in place ????
Unfortunately also not everyone ride for scenic qualities of an area - they more go for the thrill of the ride - the National Park is not for this type of riding - try private property or bike parks. If everyone did the right thing it would be great but unfortunately those that ride quickly thru public lands, noisey (removed baffles) and especially those that are unregistered give trail bikers a bad name. I have been riding bikes in compettion Enduros etc for 20yrs now - & yes maybe there are some restrictors in places that you can remove to give extra power but removing the last one at the end of the muffler really only increases noise only (don't believe me try it). Anyway Big Yango because it has been set next to a proposed wilderness and is for everyone to enjoy the bikes are not permitted. Upper level managers did not want the area turning into a race track. Anyway you can hear bikes coming along the Yango / Howes trail from miles away. If everyone did the right thing we would not have a bad name and would be permitted in more places. All I can say is become registered and ride slow in public places and ensure baffles are in place.
FollowupID: 315305

Follow Up By: Slammin - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 00:31

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 00:31
First up the problem as I see it is the difference between riders that are quietly bopping along exploring tracks etc the same as 4wds exploring or adventuring. Then you have the go fast brigade on their own private kamikaze enduro.

The same can be said of the 4wd brigade those out their exploring adventuring and then the competition crew out there to conquer the environment. There are regular reports and a few threads around this site relating to abuse of areas by them.

The idiots in any group are the ones noticed, so I'm not surprised that the general views are that most riders are in the enduro boat with their baffles removed. Thanks to Tread Lightly and the DSMRA and the magazine space devoted to these issues it is now common knowledge that backpressure is needed for torque and power so less and less bikes are getting around unbaffled. Most organised rides involve scrutineering of noise as well as componentry.

The point I'm getting to is that if FNQld with world heritage areas can organise similar access with keys, deposits and access for all what's the problem with NSW? To cut the entrance for a group as a whole I find strange, I don't really care that I can't get into Yengo but I like to use my bike to get deep into wilderness areas and then go bushwalking & camping. That that is impossible in this area of NSW unless I have a 4wd which can ultimately be abused and do worse track damage than a bike I find bizarre.

Jeff you say the area is open to use by everyone and then go on to say but not bikes, obviously thats NOT everyone at all. So if I only have a bike for transport that I ride sensibly is registered and quiet I'm excluded, doesn't sound very Australian really.

I think people may fail to see the unfairness because they can afford a 4wd so if they agree to excluding someone else that makes the area (guess what) exclusive. Oh and less crowded as a bonus.

Another thing that I don't understand is that with all the permits and keys and deposits surely it wouldn't be that hard to keep out the idiots on bikes, who annoy me (more than anyone else here) but as I said to exclude people just becaue of their choice of transport is leaving the hole open for 4wds or horse riders etc open to be discriminated against in future because of a few idiots.

Anyway I've been to Yengo liked it but don't have a burning desire to get back, which means as I said I don't really give a toss but hopefully you can see what I'm trying to say.

Jeff I have a disc muffler so can change the tune according to were I am and out here I detune the bike by creating as much noise as possible. But then I am in the desert so noone can hear me and I have the landholders support. I do this to keep horses camels roos etc away from me but if I'm going to town the bike gets 8 discs and she's back down to 90db.

Oh and horses on tracks, sorry mate but I prefer to see a 4wd than a horse, 4wds don't get skittish, are not temperemental (unless a Patrol)and are usually in complete control by the driver. Horses however leave stinking heaps of defecation have organic brains and hearts leading to them usually being smarter than the rider. Don't worry Wellagent99 I'm only joking. But I think you do put yourself in danger riding a horse without a seatbelt on.
FollowupID: 315314

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:38

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:38
Well I must say there is some good things I like about trail bikes, and that is for dropping a very nice tool bag fool of tools that I found on a track in Victoria not to long ago.
FollowupID: 315326

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:02

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:02
Hey Slammin, I agree with everything you have said - I was one of these people that was responsible for the preparing of the Plan of Management for Big Yango - the issue of trail bikes was in there with strict regulations stating that baffles had to be in and that they had to be under 95 dbl's - I got over riding and trail bike or lets say motor bike access was prohibited - I said you cannot do this as they are a registered vehicle and should be able to go in the same places as 4WD's. Anyway got over ruled, but atleast we were able to get access by 4WD's - as at one stage it looked like this would not of been possible. The Big Green groups who are on Advisory Councils etc have a lot of political punch - NPWS are just the piggies in the middle that get the blame in the end. I also agree with the horse - they also do more damage than bikes I believe. Unfortunately I am just one who is not anti bikes - but the majority of others out there are because they only really see the idiots doing the wrong thing and especially those riders with noisey bikes. But I can tell you it is frustrating when you stop and talk to some bike riders and in general conversation suggest putting the baffles back in - result 5 mins later they start up and take off flat out doing at wheelie and going sideways etc - can't see things really improving when people do this - also have you heard these new KTM's - pretty damn loud.
FollowupID: 315569

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:50

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:50
Not a big fan of trail bikes my self, due to a few close calls with the idiotic ones. But in their defence I would have to say some of the nicest people we've come across have been trail bike riders, alway willing to stop for a chat and share info on the road condition etc that they've come across.

Cars, 4wds, bikes, pedestrians, there are good and bad with all of them

Sandy
AnswerID: 53493

Sponsored Links