Comment: EOTopo 200K

Will EOTOPO 200K work on a Garmin Montana 650T ? Please advise if anyone knows :-)
Cheers Spudley
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:44

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:44
Don't think so.

Garmin's take vector maps. This is raster.
AnswerID: 554370

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 14:03

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 14:03
Hi

Many Garmins these days also can display raster images either in KMZ (jpeg) format (Making a custom map procedure HERE) or in Garmin's own special format = JNX (which requires a yearly BirdsEye subscription to use).

With respect to kmz/jpeg format images, file size is very restrictive and you would only be able to load small areas of EoTopo (once converted to correct format) - based on my experience with a few maps I think it is impractical to use a standard Garmin GPS for this purpose - just my opinion, feel free to convert a few and see how you go.

I have not messed around with JNX format much but again getting it to work would be a drama for most people in my opinion (e.g. converting to JNX is first hurdle) though no idea if it would work OK once you sorted it out.

If you wish to persevere with a Garmin GPS then you could try a Monterra (I have one). This is the same body as a Montana but runs an Android operating system so you can load other GPS mapping programs such as OziExplorer, Memory Map, TwoNav etc which will load and run EoTopo fine.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 840459

Sponsored Links