Comment: Cape York via Simpson Desert 5 June 2015 – Day 4

Re myth, about requiring a guide for surveyors general corner the D.A.A website or one of the councils websites I visited a couple of months ago stated...
2 cars minimum 5 cars max, guide required wait outside community, one car to enter Wingella $100 per car and $25 per occupant, can someone enlighten me please if that is still the case?
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 15:57

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 15:57
Hi Maric,
I had a look on Google as my permit is quite old . I clicked on the Tjukayirla Roadhouse PDF. It would seem that the same still applies as in travel out to the SGC. It is written in the Ngaanyatjarra Permit Pack down towards the bottom of page 7 I think.
Take care, safe travels. Ma
AnswerID: 554703

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:13

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:13
Sorry Maric, that should read page 3.
Don't miss The Schwerrin Mural Crescent on the Great Central Road, on a clear day coming from the west it is magnificent.
Take care, safe travels ma.
FollowupID: 840816

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:14

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:14
Yep and you can't go on Weekends.
FollowupID: 840817

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 17:01

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 17:01
We wet there last year, you no longer require a guide but you do require a permit and you can't go near the homestead out there

http://www.daa.wa.gov.au/en/Land/Entry-Permits/EP_Y_PermitForm/

There are 2 posts, one in the right spot and one in the wrong spot :)

cheers
AnswerID: 554708

Follow Up By: Peter Beard (WA) - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 22:19

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 22:19
Hi Cookie 1, my brother Ian provided the information below (in quotes) about Surveyor Generals Corner.

"The survey of the Western Australian border was first discussed in 1911, but it wasn't until 1922 that an agreement was signed between then Prime Minister W.M. Hughes, the Acting Premier for South Australia, Mr. Bice, and the Premier of Western Australia, Sir James Mitchell. The agreement set out the border as being a line determined by the 129th meridian east longitude. However, the agreement required that the boundary be defined by lines running north and south from independently fixed points at Deakin and Argyle. When survey work began on the South Australia – Northern Territory border in 1963, it was quickly realised that the earlier agreement precluded the possibility of these lines meeting exactly.

"Precise survey methods confirmed this and in June 1968 two monuments approximately 127 metres apart were erected at the junction of the boundaries. This ceremony was attended by the respective Surveyors General, H.Comm from Western Australia, H.A. Bailey from South Australia, and P.J. Wells from the Northern Territory. The monuments common to all three jurisdictions was named Surveyor General's Corner at the suggestion of the Director of National Mapping. One interesting piece of trivia is that fewer people have visited this site than have been to the South Pole."

Source: http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/geographic-information/dimensions/border-lengths

So it looks like both markers are in the "right" spot, it just depends where you're standing. If WA ever secedes from the rest of Australia then Surveyor Generals Corner might become disputed territory. I guess any civil war needs some disputed territory but in my opinion Surveyor General Corner is not worth fighting for.
Support Atheism: A not-for-prophet organisation

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840833

Reply By: Peter Beard (WA) - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 21:55

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 21:55
Hi MARIC, the sign at the track entrance says you need a permit, to keep to the main track and don't set up camp out there. It says nothing about engaging a guide. We had a permit issued by Ngaanyatjarra Council that specifically said we could visit Surveyor Generals Corner and said nothing about going into Wingellina and engaging a guide. Perhaps someone from the community could shed some light. We tried to get information via phone and email for weeks and got no response to any of the messages we left. We hope we haven't done the wrong thing by the traditional owners of the country and we meant no disrespect.
Pete and Ali
Support Atheism: A not-for-prophet organisation

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554717

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 08:03

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 08:03
Hi Pete and Ali
I know the feeling, a few years ago we were up Kalumburu way in the Kimberley and went to get a permit up there during office hours prior to heading another 50 km up bush,but alas office closed. Our friends drove back the next day to get one but I never did and we were never accosted or asked by the locals for a permit..
Mary and I are enjoying reading your blogs
Ric
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840841

Sponsored Links