? Rain on the Donohue/Plenty

Hello. There was rain and hail in Alice yesterday, 13 June. Is that likely to affect access to Donohue/Plenty. If still open, any tips for driving them if they are wet, please. Have driven through dry bull dust, but what does it do with a bit of rain. Will be in Boulia Wed and rain forecast Tues. Thanks for any advice. Regards, Georgie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris and Georgie B - Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 07:09

Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 07:09
PS. We are traveling west along the highways - from Boulia to Alice. Thanks.
AnswerID: 555928

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 07:37

Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 07:37
Looking at Weatherzone, Georgie, they forecast only light rain, but do mention "medium to locally heavy falls to the south" so one wonders how far south is, in relation to Boulia. :-)

If there is enough rain, they will certainly close the Plenty, and have seen them close the Winton-Boulia road too, even though it is bitumen. This is because cars pull it on and then get bogged on the shoulders, or worse, when they pass other vehicles. Most of it is only single lane blacktop.

If you're at all concerned about the road conditions, spend an extra night in Winton.......there's more to see/do than Boulia.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842020

Reply By: Chris and Georgie B - Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 07:56

Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 07:56
Thank you, Bob. I knew you would post good advice. We don't want to go via the tar, but don't want to get bogged, with traveling this part on our own, rather than in our usual family convoy. What will happen the first time I encounter a wet bull dust patch? I haven't needed to think about that before? G
AnswerID: 555930

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 20:23

Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 20:23
If the rain is heavy enough, Georgie, they will close the Plenty for a day or two. This year has been so dry, that I feel roads like the Plenty, can "handle" at least an inch of rain, without causing any dramas. Any black soil, say at Georgina River, would be very slippery though.

Any bulldust holes that are wet are unlikely to bog you, as they will soak up a lot of water, and should become more stable than in their dusty state. Was told by a road engineer years ago that bulldust is one of the best road bases.......it is very "plastic". It's just when all the moisture goes out of it that it mimics the flow of water.

If it does rain this week, about the only thing I'd be cautious about is wheel tracks left by those travelling while the road surface was wet. These tracks can upset the stability of any vehicle that "drops" into them, especially after the tracks have dried out. Treat them with extreme caution, Georgie! Otherwise, it should be good travelling, with almost ideal weather.

Safe travels,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842049

Sponsored Links