Portapotti Issues

I have a Camprite portapotti which is a no name brand of some of the brand names.

It has a 10litre top tank and a 20litre bottom tank and with the exception of the bottom tank wanting to get a bit feral when travelling on hot days (wants to blow up like a balloon) generally it works fine (just need to get someone else to empty the tank).

My issue is the travelling with the top tank full of water - on rough roads it leaks out the spray nozzle filling the bowl with up to a litre of water where it then sloshes around spilling out - thank fully the bottom tank is fine.

With the top tank off the bottom tank and half full of water I shook it around and lots of water came out the the flushing nozzle as there does not seem to be any mechanism to prevent this happening.

I am after suggested solutions please.

I could empty the tank each time before travelling but that is wasteful on water.
I could empty the tank contents before travelling into a 10 litre plastic jerry but that means carrying an other unnecessary item.

Other ideas - thanks

Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:32

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:32
I have just bought a Portapotti , I think I read somewhere it's not recommend to travel ith the any water in the top tank
AnswerID: 555997

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:28

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:28
Garry,

The best advice I can offer is to sell it if you can and invest in a Thetford brand.
Much better quality.

I never empty to flushing tank of my 165 until I get home or am sure I don't need to use it any more and have never had a leak or had the waste tank "blow up" like a baloon.
Sounds like your no name brand is very thin and I would be most worried about the bottom tank leaking while it has "stuff" in it:-(

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556002

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 09:51

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 09:51
Thanks for the comments - having bought this unit I will be staying with it. Re the comment about Thetfords not expanding due to heating well they do it too as other owners travelling with me at the time said their Thetford units also started to "expand" in the heat as well.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 842124

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 23:59

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 23:59
While I have read advice to travel with the top tank empty on portable toilets, our Thetford is a built in one, and travelling with what ever amount of water there is in the flushing tank has never been a problem.

Garry, with the minimal amount of water needed for flushing a cassette toilet, when setting up the toilet, just put a litre or two in the tank. That way not much is wasted by emptying it before you move on again. If you think one of your family might be caught out, leave a milk bottle with water in the toilet tent.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556020

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 09:54

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 09:54
Thanks Motherhen - that is the obvious solution that I had not considered.

The other solution that has only just come to me is to put a cap over the nozzle.

Some solutions are so obvious.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 842125

Reply By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:04

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:04
I have a cheapie ($88), but haven't had the issue you describe.

I have never filled the top tank though, mainly because it is extra weight I have to lift in and out of the vehicle and it made the crapper top heavy.

Do you need to put a full 10L in it, or can you get away with 2 or 3L and top it up more often?
AnswerID: 556027

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 13:01

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 13:01
Thanks Hoyks - yes as discussed I can put only a small amount of water in the top tank and top up - it just means having it in the top tank is easier to store as extra water does not have to be carried. Not really an issue in most circumstances I agree, so will look at this id a cap on the nozzle does not work.

Thanks

Garry
FollowupID: 842131

Sponsored Links