Rain in Birdsville/Innamincka/Tibooburra regions

After months of planning, Sunday is the day I am due to head off on a 4 week trip. Plan for the first week is to depart Newcastle and travel Cobar - Wanaaring - Tibooburra - Innamincka - Birdsville before hitting the Simpson.

Checking road reports today I see pretty much every road for this first week of travel has been closed due to rain over the past 2 days - Birdsville has had 30 odd mm.

I know it is still a week out, but realistically, how quickly can the roads dry sufficiently to be reopened? Should I be looking at the itinerary and changing plans?

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dean ( SA ) - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 21:47

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 21:47
If no further rain they usually open within a few days...give or take a day.
AnswerID: 556014

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:13

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:13
As dean says, roads normally open pretty quickly, but make another plan anyway.
If ou ened a fall back you can be ready.
Second lot of rain in the past few weeks to close things up there, so might as well be prepared.

We are leaving in 2-1/2 weeks ADL to BVI, then across and north through the centre, so hoping it doesn't rain too much more.
AnswerID: 556017

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:28

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:28
The cooler weather may delay the roads drying out by a day or two, but think they usually allow a crust on the road before opening them. Racecourse looked pretty damp in a photo I saw recently. :-)

When Birdsville had that big rain at Race time a few years ago, the roads were opened only a day or two later, and I don't think the roads had dried out too much either. Not long after, was talking to a bloke that had been there, and he told me all the dramas he'd had.......whinge, whinge, whinge........yawn.

You could either head into SA, then up to Marree, or into Qld, and across through Quilpie & Windorah? Bit more bitumen both ways.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556018

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 14:57

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 14:57
Windorah to Birdsville was officially closed yesterday , Windorah had 24mm rain ,, the fine for skirting round a 'Road Closed' sign is now 20 penalty units in Qld …… in other words a fine of $2500 unless you have a very very good excuse for ripping up the road ...
0
FollowupID: 842134

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 18:28
24mm eh? Didn't hear that one, Alloy.

So dry down that way it'll be gone faster than a fart in a fan factory. Probably bring up some useful herbage in the red country though.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 842143

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 09:42
Measured at the clinic /ambulance station ….
1
FollowupID: 842181

Reply By: Tate1984 - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:37

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:37
Thanks for the advice. Looks like Maree through to Oonadatta is also closed. I will sit tight and make some calls to local pubs/stores on Friday before making a decision.

If need be I am considering reversing the whole trip i.e Broken Hill - Coober Pedy - Painted Desert - Uluru - Kings - Finke Gorge - Alice - Lamberts - Mt Dare then home as mentioned above.
AnswerID: 556019

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 09:30
A good option if needed.
We were going to do that last year when BV Tk was open, but Ood Tk still closed, but in the end the Ood opened a couple of days before we left, and we did the west - east crossing as planned.
0
FollowupID: 842122

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 19:03
Reversing the trip is always a good fallback, I essentially did the same thing when I went up that way a few years back and the rain came just before I left.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 842144

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 19:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 19:28
Not a bad idea. We are doing a Simpson drive next month and are keeping our options open.

Phil
0
FollowupID: 842149

Reply By: Member - Palok - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 13:24

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 13:24
Hey Tate,

Totally understand your frustration, we are currently "stranded" in Eulo. We were heading to Tibooburra then onto the Corner, innamincka and birdsville. We had 15mm of rain last night a bit more today, within 50k of here they have had as much as 50mm or none. We will wait another day before we decide, but with no real change in road conditions expected we will head towards Quilpie if the roads open we may then head to Innamincka and onto Birdsville.

There is always another way.

Cheers,

Patrick
AnswerID: 556035

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:20
Hmm, thought I'd just post this, fresh of a 4x4 Earth thread . . .

- - -
PLEASE SHARE IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY IN THE NORTH OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Residents in the Far North of the State are advised that there are multiple road closures in the area, due to a large amount of rainfall.
Various creeks including Emu Creek and Trebilcock Creek, 5km and 30 km south of Leigh Creek are currently at capacity and impassable. Warraweena Creek and Breakfast Time Creek towards Parachilna is also impassable.
All these creeks have suffered extensive erosion and debris is covering these roads where it would be dangerous for any vehicle to pass.
The Outback Highway (also known as Highway 83) will be closed to further traffic.
Currently The Strzelecki track, Birdsville Track, Oodnadatta Track and Balcanoona Road to Arkaroola are closed. It would be dangerous for any vehicle to attempt to travel to either Leigh Creek or south towards Port Augusta.

Just taken from SAPOL Fb
- - -

I went to SA Outback Road Conds, and it still show Ood Tk open to 4WD, so this is a very recent rain event.
AnswerID: 556050

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:27

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:27
Radar earlier today showed lots of weather heading that way, Les.

No doubt it arced up quite a bit more, to do that sort of damage.

Thanks,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 842153

Follow Up By: Tate1984 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:28
Thanks for the update Les. I checked the SA Transport page last night and both Oodnadatta and Strezelecki were closed - now they are showing as open. Maybe they have had more rain today.

As Patrick said above - there is always another way.
0
FollowupID: 842154

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:33

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:33
Yes, I think due to the Outback Road Conds not being up to date, I'd say this rain has hit and levels up in the past hour or so.

We leave in 2-1/2 weeks ourselves, praying this is the last of the big rain between now and the the next month say.

I think QLD roads are pretty well buggered too, Windorah / BV Dev Rd, etc.

Looking like a route reversal might be needed for you if it keeps up at all into the next day or two.
0
FollowupID: 842156

Follow Up By: Tate1984 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:00

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:00
As has been said - route reversal is the best option if roads remain closed. And if that doesn't work out I have 4 weeks and a big country to find somewhere to go. I'm sure I can work it out - as long as I'm not at work or painting the house I'll be a happy man.....
1
FollowupID: 842157

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:29
Good plan :)
Maybe just point the 4B in a direction, and head off, follow your nose and anything interesting.
I guess that's the beaut thing about this country, everywhere you go is interesting, just not sure exactly what until you have a look.
0
FollowupID: 842160

Follow Up By: Mtb rule- Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:32
Tate, I'm I the same situation. Leaving Sunday for Maree, Finke, East and West McDonald ranges, the rock and back to Victoria. May have to go in reverse if the roads are closed.

Mtb
0
FollowupID: 842162

Reply By: Eric Experience - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:25

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:25
Do any of you wise gentlemen know if the old rail track that the desert race was on has been badly chopped up by the race or has it been graded? Eric.
AnswerID: 556052

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:31

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:31
Haven't heard anything Eric, plan to be driving that way to Chambers / Alice myself in about 4 weeks.
Maybe start a new thread, as this one isn't probably going to get you much attention.
0
FollowupID: 842161

Follow Up By: Tate1984 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:37
Lamberts Centre - Chambers and onto Alice is part of my plans too. I really hadn't thought about any damage the race might have caused. Not much you can do - take it slower if necessary is suppose.
0
FollowupID: 842163

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 07:35

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 07:35
It won't take long for the roads to open. We only had 15 ml over 3 days, Thargo only had about 8 ml. So head on out our way, you won't get bogged here that's for sure. Toni
Kilcowera Station Stay

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556099

Reply By: Tate1984 - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 22:18

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 22:18
Quick update to this thread. We have made it to Birdsville today with little incident.

Tlmost of the sightseeing around Innamincka is closed but did get to the dif tree.

Today from Innamincka to Birdsville via Cordillo Downs took 9 hours - including having to spend the best part of 2 hours helping a very stuck Outback Aussie bus. I'll work out how to post pics later but I'm sure they missed the "3 tonne and under" sign when leaving Innamincka.

Hitting the desert tomorrow and can't wait to leave the mud behind.

Cheers
AnswerID: 556396

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:01

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:01
Thanks for the update, I've updated our 2 in the group from NSW coast and Melbourne, told them to keep an eye out for the bus and try and help them if still there :P

They go through there next Thurs / Fri I reckon, so should hopefully be ok.
0
FollowupID: 842551

Follow Up By: Tate1984 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:05

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:05
No troubles Les.

By next week it would be quite dry and no troubles at all.
0
FollowupID: 842552

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 13:15

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 13:15
Shower or two forecast for Monday, but otherwise all clear or partly cloudy . . . that's Moomba.
Other areas up there a little also forecast for Birdsville about same thime, but nothing on the west side.
So it might just be a QLD inland thing, worth checking both QLD and NSW roads and forecasts if coming through from those areas.
0
FollowupID: 842575

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)