Broome Caravan Parks

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 18:33
ThreadID: 119227 Views:3046 Replies:13 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We are currently staying at Port Headland until the 30th June, then plan to head to Broome.

I have just done a quick search on Broome on the Forum here and there seems to be quite a negative feed back- ie -you can`t book a site , it`s first in first served, Broome is overrated etc etc.

These comments date back to last year and beyond, I am wondering if there has been any improvement since then, particularly re the earlier ones ? Regards G.T.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 19:30

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 19:30
Ring and ask the camp you want to go to We did and got in but it took 4 calls to get confirmation. Friends rang and got into one Ok.
HopefullyCable Beach have a better system than when we were there... They didnt even have a computer just bits of paper in pockets on the wall.

Total disorganization. Best of luck.

We didnt like Broome much It seemed tourists were an imposition on the shopkeepers especially the Parts dept at Toyota. Was too much trouble for them to look up a part for my Cruiser unless I had the part number .... thats what I went in for.
Trip to Horizontal Falls was the highlight.
AnswerID: 556119

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 22:03

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 22:03
When in Brrom we stay at Tarangau Caravan Park. We have never had any issue with being able to book and have been happy with the facilities and staff
AnswerID: 556120

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 22:04

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 22:04
Broome - Oh for an edit facility!
FollowupID: 842251

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 04:23

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 04:23
Ditto for Tarangau....towing a camper trailer, we drifted intoBroome a few years back and went straight there..with no listed spaces free, they put us under a large spreading tree on a lawn ! A top shelf spot in a nice van park.....maybe luck favours those that turn up (could be a Broome thing :-).
FollowupID: 842255

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 23:42

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 23:42
And another fan of Tarangau
FollowupID: 842281

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 23:11

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 23:11
The Broome caravan Park on the way in to Broome on the left.

A bit out of town but I've always got a spot there, and they take bookings.
AnswerID: 556121

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 17:53

Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 17:53
Followed your suggestion. Have made a booking there. Thanks G.T.
FollowupID: 842312

Follow Up By: Member - WBS - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 08:52

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 08:52
In 2010, we booked in to the Broome CP as it was the only place with sites available, every other CP was booked out. We stayed there for 5 days. Absolutely nothing wrong with that park. Good amenities, nice and shady and not that far from town. I'd happily stay there again.

Broome? Loved it. I'm glad I didn't listen to the knockers at the time. Its one place I'd go back to.

WBS
FollowupID: 842322

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:09

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:09
It might depend what you're looking for as to whether it's over-rated or not. It is the biggest town within a few hundred kilometres so if you're looking for a taste of 'town' after spending a while in remote areas you'll enjoy it - if you're looking for the remoteness and isolation of Cape Leveque or Mitchell Plateau then you probably won't want to spend long there. It is quite touristy, but given you're a tourist, that should present any problems.

We stayed at the caravan park at/near Cable Beach but I don't remember if they took bookings or not (not really relevant for us as we were finalising our itinerary on the road, which was in part dependant on weather conditions at the time). I know we took a powered site just so we'd have an allocated space to return to (which is important when you're using a rooftop tent which goes with you on every day trip) rather than having to claim a patch of dirt wherever we could squeeze in amongst all the surfie backpackers
AnswerID: 556125

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:26

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:26
We like Cable Beach park which is right behind the upmarket Cable Beach resort. Stayed there several times and have booked with no problems but that was about 2 years ago last time. We've also stayed at the Roebuck Bay....woman on reception has a face and attitude that would turn lemons sour! But good spots along the beach if you're lucky.
The Vacation Park on the way down to the jetty will never see us again. Horrible cramped spot (twice) right up against the fence alongside the road, very noisy virtually all night.
So we've decided Cable Beach may be a bit more expensive but is at least quiet and reasonably well run although they do tend to pack them in where ever they can.
Good luck and enjoy as they don't all treat tourists as pests.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 842257

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:51

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:51
Now that you mention it, maybe it was Roebuck Bay we stayed at... I don't remember encountering the lady, though I think my brother checked us in - I don't remember him mentioning anything, but I do remember him commenting on how grumpy the lady at Kooljaman (Cape Leveque) was! If we had our time again, we'd probably stay at Middle Lagoon (or whatever the place was halfway up the Cape) as it was a much nicer spot anyway.
FollowupID: 842259

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:56

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:56
We always stay at the Broome caravan park . As someone said its just on the way into town. They have large sites and we have never had a problem getting a site when we just turn up. We were there last month and they were connecting the power to a whole heap of new sites. Also they have a beautiful pool and wonderfull clean amenities. You will find that you will still have to get in the car to drive down on the beach to watch the sunset, so it really doesn't matter if it takes an extra few minutes to get there. ( there is also a shortcut to there if you don't mind going on some gravel)
AnswerID: 556128

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:54

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:54
Hi GT, last we were there about 5yrs ago, they worked on an 'overflow system'- when all parks booked, the shire allowed opening up extra of space at local oval with basic facilities ( I think lions ran it) and out near bird sanctuary. I recollect there was a new park being built as well. We originally booked 2 nites at roebuck plains roadhouse ( small c/park beside) , but after first nite of semis coming and going all nite long with noise and dust, we moved into town. got lucky at cable beach c/park for a week. they took bookings but were regularly full every 'season'. considering how relatively expensive the area is, I would almost agree its overrated. beach camel ride and pearl farm trip a good experience. google up the tourist bereau etc.. for more info.
you will find trip up from PH a long drive, watch for cattle. personally, 80 mile beach c/park better, again, when we were there, no bookings, they were running it so you just turn up in AM and see who goes out so you can come in. its about 200 k north from PH, look for signage, turn off to left when going north, good access to c/vans.
enjoy.
MG.
AnswerID: 556133

Reply By: Omaa - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 11:31

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 11:31
I rang 4 different parks yesterday, including Pistol club & PCYC.
Pistol club not open by council yet as still room in all the caravan parks.
Overflow at PCYC only taking travellers WITH animals
We got site for 1st & 2nd July as well as 8th & 9th July as I have hosp appts but do not want to book in for the 10 days. Had to pay $50 deposit at the on booked into which we had been recommended.
AnswerID: 556136

Follow Up By: Omaa - Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 13:48

Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 13:48
It s the Tarangau we are booked into.
FollowupID: 842301

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 16:31

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 16:31
we were advised (and did) to get tehre early. We stayed at Wyndham, and left about 6:30AM, arrving about 10:00 am from memory. We went to teh first place (Cable Beach I think) and asked if we could get a site for a few days. Very nice service (not) - they said site nos xxx and yyy are available. Didn't even tell us where they were - we had to plod around eventually to find one. Have a look at them and if you want one, come back & book in. We had a look and chose a very nice site near the water and went back to pay.

We had visited Broome years before and found it interesting, but last time we decided that it probably would be the last time we went there.Too touristy and yuppie for us, although the sights on Cable Beach were interesting to say the least...
AnswerID: 556144

Reply By: Oscar H - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 18:28

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 18:28
Hi,
We found many parks in this area would not have any sites if booking of a week or less but if you wanted a month or 2 months no trouble and a good site as well. Just not interested in small bookings.
Regards
John H
AnswerID: 556149

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 22:44

Friday, Jun 19, 2015 at 22:44
Hi GT. Stayed at Roebuck caravan park a few weeks ago. Right on the beach front as we prepared for our stay at One Arm Point and a few other places in that area . good sites and facilitys. We rang a day before and booked a site with a preference for the front on the beach. They were very friendly. Ended up storing the van at Griffiths storage which is also very good and close to town.
cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 556153

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 17:51

Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 17:51
Thanks all who have replied. Have made a booking at Broome Caravan Park. No problems getting in. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 556179

Reply By: Bosun Broome - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 11:04

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 11:04
As a long time Broome local just a little bit of advice - if you you don't like sand flies I recommend Tarangau, Cable Beach CP or Palm Grove. I will not negate any Park but just advise that closer to Cable Beach the better.
Cheers
AnswerID: 556191

Reply By: Mick T3 - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 22:57

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 22:57
Broome Caravan Park is good for people over 25. Relatively quiet. Donna and Graham Sutherland let me move from my tent to one of their cabins during a windy period, and charged me no more than for a tent site.

What I liked about them is that they treated me as a decent human being and I treated their family with respect.

Donna and Graham seven days a week and live simply so they can put their kids through private school. When you pay the rent money you feel it is going to a good cause.

There were lots of interesting people staying there and I left with a good feeling about the caravan park.

Broome itself is another kettle of fish. It will eat you if it gets the chance.
AnswerID: 556216

Sponsored Links