Sunday History Photo / Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 07:53
ThreadID: 119251 Views:4380 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The official beginning of Boulia is a proclamation signed by Cr. Kennedy on 31st July 1879 and gazetted on the 2nd August setting aside a reserve for township purpose on the Boulia waterhole, in the Burke river, Gregory North district, under the name of "Boulia".

The reserve was 1 280 acres resumed from the Bulla-Bulla No. 2 and Bulla-Bulla No. 4 runs, which at that time, was held by W.L. Reid, R.T. Reid and W. Paterson having been originally taken up by John Farrar on 20th December 1876 and transferred to Messes Reid and Paterson the following year. It was surveyed by F.A. Hartnell in October 1882 and March 1883. The first land sale being set down for Tuesday 13th February 1883.
The name is derived from the name of the waterhole, which was so called by the Pitta Pitta tribe, according to the survey office. Another source gives the aboriginals the original name for the waterhole as Bulzoo Bulzoo. However the map shows a Bullu Bullu waterhole quite far from the Boulia waterhole.

The mail service (from Cloncurry) by horse was inaugurated on 1 St July 1879. The telegraph line was completed in July and the telegraph station opened in Boulia on 11th August 1884.
The book "Taming the North" by H. Fysh, which is a biography of Kennedy and Pioneer of "Noranside" and "Buckingham Downs" and "Devoncourt", says of Mrs Kennedy's journey west in 1877.

Mrs Kennedy is quoted saying "when I first passed through the site of Boulia 1877, Paterson with cattle from the Darling, had just arrived to stock Goodwood station. Ernest Henry arrived about that time with two wagon loads of station supplies, with which he started a store.
Vallis, Donaldson and a few others were also there, camped on the Boulia waterhole. Later on Paterson built a hut, on the west side of the river and Ernest Henry erected a canvas store where the town now is. Later on Harry Westerfelt built a pub, and although both pub and store should have done well, both were failures. However this was the foundation of Boulia, the centre of a prosperous pastoral area, despite the challenges of frequent low rainfall.

Both Kennedy in this book, and H.G. Lamond in an article on the Warenda Station say, that Vallis was the first white man in Boulia. The Ernest Henry mentioned above was also the founder of Hughenden and the discoverer of the vastly rich Cloncurry mining field. Kennedy says "Henry was the first man to blaze a track between Cloncurry and Boulia which afterwards became a much used route".

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 17 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John G - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 09:41

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 09:41
G'day Doug

I look forward to the definitive explanation of the Mim Min phenomenon next week.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 556188

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 23:10

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 23:10
The Min Min "theatre" is well done John, and they thrive on the "mystical" but as a scientific person, it got me thinking and researching. If you want to read real sightings and what is really happening with the many true Min Min sightings, please get in touch with me. I was telling someone about Boulia this evening, then I see Doug's timely thread on Boulia.

Thanks Doug.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842351

Follow Up By: Member - John G- Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 19:04

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 19:04
Thanks Motherhen

Apologies for not responding, but currently out of the country. I'll try to remember to get back in touch upon return mid July. I would like to hear the scientific explanations. I agree about the centre in Boulia - very well done.

Cheers
John

FollowupID: 842538

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 10:07

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 10:07
Thanks Doug

Alan
AnswerID: 556189

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:02

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:02
Thanks Doug,

Used to pass through Boulia fairly regularly on the way to Mt Isa for shopping etc. Haven't been there for a few years now, probably 2011. Many years ago, used to pass through there heading back to the Kimberley or Barkly Tablelands, rather than attempt the many miles of black soil, thunderstorms and corrugations through Kynuna and McKinlay. Even though it was 100 mile further, there was a lot more bitumen, albeit single lane, from Winton to Boulia, then up to the Isa.

The old Post Office is still there, slightly more presentable with a footpath outside, lawn on the road edge, and kerb and guttering.

Main Street of Boulia is always neat and tidy, and sensibly designed with large lawns, as median strips, down the centre. Not so flash out of town in years like the last 3 or 4. :-(

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556193

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 18:06

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 18:06
G'day Bob, yes exactly same reason back in 1981/2 I went that way in the Roadtrain Car Carrier I was driving Brisbane / Darwin , back then there was 88 Klms of dirt , via Kynuna the sealed road finished not far from Winton until about 35Klms from the intersection of the Flinders Hwy, The corrugation was so bad mid 1981 it use to take 6 hours to do the 88 Klms, reason was the frame for the cars was made of Pipe, unlike the self loaders of today.

This is the only photo I have of the truck, it was taken between Middleton and Winton.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842339

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 19:41

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 19:41
Classic photo, Doug! These days you'd be sitting up in a Volvo, 700 hp and auto box, towing a B triple, fully curtained and everything hydraulic. How times change.

Dug up a couple of photos from about 1981, heading for NSW for holidays, on stretch between Boulia and Middleton. Quality not good, 'cause only copied using camera in iPad....

Sedan was a 1978 Datsun Skyline, 6 cyl 5 speed manual. Pretty good in the mud, but traded it in '82 for a Hilux dual cab.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842344

Reply By: Member - Tony F8 - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 16:57

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 16:57
Another great piece of reading, Doug, keep up the effort champ.
AnswerID: 556197

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 20:00

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 20:00
Another top piece Doug. Somebody should get you together with a publisher.

I think of the early 80s as relatively recent but it shows how things have changed in 30+ years. Guys like you, Bob etc ..... wouldn't mind a beer or three if I ever got to meet you.
AnswerID: 556206

Reply By: Nomad Navara - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 20:21
Love the photo of the T Line road train Doug, Those trucks bring back great memories, keep up your amazing work. Keep up your great work.
AnswerID: 556273

Sponsored Links