2016 Speed Week Lake Gairdner

I'm considering attending the Speed week in 2016 and seeking some feed back from those who have attended in the past, like the camp at Salt Bush camp was it a serene and pleasant place or was it full of drunks and loud music blaring away all night/s ? Does one need to be concerned about have gear/equipment stolen? and finally what sort of people/crowd numbers attend?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 08:17

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 08:17
Have not been there during speed week, but I have been there at other times. The camping areas are quite big and I think they have a quiet area. Your best bet is to ring the guys at MT Ive Station and ask them.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556287

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 08:59

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 08:59
Mega horsepower machines being tuned up and serene don't I imagine work in the same sentence.

I think the Lake is a fantastic place to visit and to walk on. The views are remarkable. The silence and space are magnificent. But when runs are laid out and vehicles hammering up and down?

http://www.dlra.org.au/
AnswerID: 556289

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:33

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:33
Have been there a couple of times for Speedweek and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It can be a pretty hot place though and you need to have a fairly high level of self sufficiency if camping out near the lake. Most people who go are passionate about the racing and are there on that basis rather than a rage party. The organisers maintain good control over the event and need too in order to sustain the privilege of using the lake each year. Any loud noises are confined to the lake itself and have little impact on the campers. There are no race vehicles in camp as they are all pitted out on the lake including overnight. Let me say this event has no parallels with the culture you see at Bathurst. It is about racers, their creativity and enginuity and mateship! If you are wanting a soft accommodation arrangement then I'd highly recommend the old Maralinga huts that are adjacent to the Mt I've homestead, particularly if you are travelling with a partner. I am unaware of any thefts and as with any place you should keep attractive items safe. Great event!!
AnswerID: 556292

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 13:22

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 13:22
I agree with Leigh,

Very well organised and run. AND VERY HOT!!!!

Organisers go to great lengths to ensure no dirt/oil or other contaminants get onto the lake bed from spectators. First couple of days are set aside for scrutineering etc so day 3 would be a good day to get there.

Not a difficult drive to get there. Well worth the experience.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 842442

Follow Up By: duck - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 08:44

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 08:44
I agree with leigh

It is very well organised but go totally self sufficient

As its very hot & the reflection can cook you, most by the end of the day pass out early so they can recover & do it again the next day & I do not know what the average age is but I think it would be above 50.The organisers jump on the brain dead/oxygen thieves pretty quick. Never herd of any thief's more the other where everybody is helping anybody that has a problem & what a mix/gathering

the mix of vehicles that towed/had on the back or in side with them is nearly as interesting as the speed machines

go its a great week & its not a hard drive in
FollowupID: 842466

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 20:14

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 20:14
went to this years meeting thoroughly agree with all previous comments bye barry
AnswerID: 556305

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:30

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:30
I spent a day out there at this years event & it looked to be very well run, the camping area looked okay, but there didn't seem to be much privacy to be had.

The canteen was doing a roaring trade, with a good viewing area next to it, I think that I'll probably be out there next year for a couple of days, but will only do day runs out there.

One word of advice, take great care on the access road in as there will be cars/trucks towing anything from 6x4 box trailers & race vehicles to large caravans, & quite a few of them don't have a clue about driving on narrow dirt roads, most seem to think that there is only one way traffic & like to drive on the wrong side of the road.

AnswerID: 556371

Reply By: Member - Stanley D - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:59

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:59
Dear Rod, It is a great spot, especially about sunrise. One piece of equipment not to forget is a fly veil. The little black brutes will drive a person nuts!!
Have great time. Regards, Stanley
AnswerID: 556395

Sponsored Links