Ross River Resort [NT] - location on EOTopo map

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 13:59
ThreadID: 119282 Views:2319 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Having recently decided to snatch a week or two to get to the National Gathering in a few weeks, I was somewhat alarmed to discover the venue is in fact 83km from Alice Springs and not just out of Alice Springs, a bit past the golf course on the east side of town as the EOTopo map on the Place listing for it indicates on the ExplorOz website at http://www.exploroz.com/Places/100169/NT/Ross_River_Resort.aspx#rqc_tabs=2.

I discovered this by noting the resort's website http://rossriverresort.com.au/the-resort lists it as being 83km and assumed it must have been a typo. When I rang to book our accommodation I checked with Jodie who confirmed it is definitely 83km from Alice.

So the question now is where precisely is it on the map - is it the Ross River Tourist Camp near 27.73S 133.93E?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 14:50

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 14:50
Hi

The coords you have provided plot over 400km south of Alice Springs

Ross River Tourist Camp is at 23.59°S and 134.49° and is, as the crow flies, ~65km from Alice Springs.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556298

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 14:52

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 14:52
...though having said that I now see a "Ross River Resort" just (2 or 3 km) out of town at 23.72° S and 133.89° E.

i.e. Ross River Resort and Ross River Tourist Camp are two different places ??? Confusion reigns.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842443

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 15:09

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 15:09
...further research would suggest that the EOTopo Map is wrong and that Ross River Resort = Ross River Tourist Camp = 83km east (by road) of Alice at ~23.59°S and 134.49°

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842444

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 18:15

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 18:15
Been there and its nearly a hour out of Alice.

Is a bit "Countryish" if you get what I mean
FollowupID: 842446

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 19:02

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 19:02
Something has gone wrong in the last 12 months. We were at the Ross River Resort, about 80 km east of Alice Springs and stayed in the parking area that is located beside Binns Track about 1 km south of where the Track turns off the Ross Highway. As I recall, the site was described in EO Places as Ross River Resort. I added text and photographs but they have all gone. Nothing there that I added at all.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556302

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 19:36

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 19:36
Don't know what has happened but if you still have the photo's and can remember the text you could assist others if you could add it to Ross River Resort place ID 100169. Thanks
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842448

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 19:21

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 19:21
Chris. As you are probably aware, the Ross River Tourist Camp will be the location for the Gathering. It is about 1 km from the homestead where reception is located. To facilitate a better understanding of the situation I have added a note to Ross River Resort directing attention to the tourist camp and added editorial and photos to the EO Place named Ross River Tourist Camp.

I hope all this helps and am very sorry that circumstances do not allow Ruth and I to join with members who gather there.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842493

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 19:31

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 19:31
Now Fixed. The "place" Ross River Tourist Camp (place ID 27960) is an old entry and I suspect and former name. Its name now is Ross River Resort (place ID 100169). It did have the wrong GPS co-ordinates and this has been corrected at 19:20 EST 24-6-15. It is in fact about 83 km from Alice at the end of the bitumen.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556303

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 21:50
Wonderful, thanks very much for sorting this out guys. I hadn't appreciated these could be edited other than by the webmaster.
FollowupID: 842451

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 22:00

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 22:00
They can't - Chris is a Place Administrator and has been given administrative controls that allow him to edit Places. We have a team of volunteers that have such controls but there are just a small few that are actually active - Chris is one such person that has been very helpful in the checking of Places since preparing to launch EOTopo and onwards. We had sought volunteers via our newsletter in 2013 for this task and he had stepped up. We welcome input from people that have the interest, and time to learn the ropes of using the admin tools but most important people with an eye to detail and confidence to do the research to get things right. This is not a task that is taken lightly. Many thanks Chris for sorting this out.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842453

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 06:43

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 06:43
I think it should also be pointed out that on Places pages there is an 'Alert Places Admin' button which allows users to advise of any errors found. I have used it several times resulting in prompt follow up action to correct the errors. Thanks to those Admins.
FollowupID: 842460

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 21:51

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 21:51
Hi Paul. Have stopped there a few years back on the way to ruby gap. Resort is a broad description but its quite a nice place for a night or two. The cabins are very basic and there is a communal fireplace. Not sure about the caravan and camping as its away from the cabins but im sure it would be ok. From memory you are meant to by beer etc from the owner but we were there on the weekend of the finke desert race and were the only people there so had the whole place to ourselves. Ruby gap is a nice place but a bit of effort is needed to get there, the last 30klms taking three hours i think, but camping along the river bed with plenty of firewood and fossicking for garnets in the river bed. Equal to anywhere we have ever camped.

Cheers Graeme
AnswerID: 556314

Sponsored Links