IT on the road

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 21:36
ThreadID: 119317 Views:1618 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
One of the many changes I have done recently was to try to fix the poor IT connection we had. Modem after modem died, and, more often than not, no connection.
Problem was we were trying to use the Telstra 4g Airwave modem as a portable, plugging it in when it needed a charge etc.
New modem, new approach. Its mounted out of the heat, but high enough for the wifi to "escape", and connected to two aerials from telcoantennaes.com.au
6DB aerials, on the bulbar
Also another problem was the power. For some reason the Netgear Telstra modems don't like constant power, so I had Traveltrucks supply a power supply that cycles on and off (12 volt to "usb")
So now the modem is mounted under my parcel shelf (cooler), connected to cycling power, and connected to 2 aerials with (actual) gain, not just a sticker, and "hey" it works
I have just driven from Mooloola (SE QLD) and am writing this from a camp between Halls Creek and Fitzroy crossing, and have only lost connection (that I was aware of) twice, Vic river, and somewhere out pas t Winton
Good one Telstra, Netgear, and Telcoantennaes
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 08:41

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 08:41
Jeez is nowhere safe? I go to these places to get away, not to be constantly in touch! But thanks for the tips Jim.
AnswerID: 556435

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 09:41

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 09:41
Me too!! Seems like the old Star Trek Borg are still around. We take a satellite phone for emergencies and nothing else. Not even a mobile. Love those remote areas.

A mate who lives in a little town called Yaarke in Victoria not far from Lake Eildon loses 90% connectivity on long weekend and in school holidays. The "tourists" clog up the local cells. But does he worry. No way!!! They can live quite happily without google.

Phil
FollowupID: 842612

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:40

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:40
I would love to be "lost", but reality follows me. A business in Karratha, and a son there, and a cattle property South of Cairns, and our daughter works there. So yup, we need connection, or we cant go bush...
FollowupID: 842642

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:49

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:49
One day you may be able to say the same as me.

Phil
FollowupID: 842643

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:44

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:44
I’ve used Telstra's Sierra wireless USB modems 3G and 4G to obtain Mobile Broadband for many years, never had a problem with them – Must be a different system to yours.
AnswerID: 556444

Sponsored Links