National Gathering

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 06:49
ThreadID: 119453 Views:2186 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got a photo to post of "Sir Kev" the morning after the night before Xmas ;o))
Hope lots was raised at the hairy auction
At Boulia recovering after the "good section" of the Donahue Hwy, wiring underneath van exposed and damaged by rocks and pvc drainage pipes smashed by rocks.
All an inherent fault in the so called Cross Country version of the Coromal, at least no more zero am temps 10deg at 6.45am.
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 08:55

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 08:55
G'day Maric,

Can't help with pics of gathering (wasn't there), but wanted to respond regarding the damage to your van...

I'm currently pondering the matter of upgrading from our Ultimate Off Road Camper trailer to a full-size off road caravan.... I've just ticked over to 60 and my shoulders ain't what they used to be (need good shoulders to open/close the lid of the Ulti').

So, I've been looking at "OFF-ROAD" caravans and let me just say this: some companies seem to have a funny idea of what constitutes "off road". There are so many manufacturers of caravans and a lot of them use "off-road" in the title/name, but when I see what's exposed underneath, I quickly walk away.

I hope it doesn't cost you too many kidneys to get it all fixed.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 556871

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 10:52

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 10:52
Hi Bill,

Have a look at the Goldstream range of campers and vans.
They are the only manufacturer (that I know of) to guarantee their off-road campers & vans in writing.

Not saying they don't have their faults though.
I now own a Goldstream Storm RL Vacationer and it is pretty good, apart from a couple of simple design faults.
The sink drain ran all the way across the other side of the van before a 90 degree down angle. Due to a couple of "dips" along the journey, the water was slow to drain out of the sink. Simple fix was to pull the corrugated hose back to the sink side with no "dips" in it and problem fixed.
Problem number two was a lack of breathing of the water tank.
The water tank is mounted behind the axle and the breather tube from the top of the tank ran across to the side, then all the way up to the front right side of the van where the filler cap is located. Again due to undulations along the route of the hose, water entering the breather tube (unavoidable) blocked the air flow, causing major issues with filling the tank, then sucking water from it with the 12v pump.
My simple fix was to add a new breather hose out the back along the rear bumper mounting bracket and terminating with a "fuel tank breather fitting I sourced from Whitworth's." Now works like it should have when it left the factory in Melbourne.

All good now and ready to head off in a few weeks time to Birdsville, Bullia, Longreach, Innamincka and Gammon Ranges for a month of R&R in the Bush.
Jeez, got to give up working for a living soon:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 843160

Follow Up By: noggins - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 10:57

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 10:57
On my van I made and fitted a mudflap type of screen out of insertion rubber that hangs down about 7" right across the chassis at every cross brace.
There are 2 extra at the front protecting the van stands that have a little damage on them and will be replaced on the next "clean up "

Since I fitted them I've never had a broken wire or damaged pipe, even the hangers to the water tanks don't collect gravel any longer as the "flaps" hang just below the bottom of the tanks.

A mate that has a full off road van fitted the same as mine and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Ron
FollowupID: 843161

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 12:47

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 12:47
hi guys
i fitted h/duty vinyl floor material under my lite duty low level on rd camper trailer as mudflap type deflectors after experiencing stone damage on it first trip and have had no trouble since
vinyl floor material is tougher than you might think but in saying that i would select something better for off-rd use
cheers
FollowupID: 843164

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 02:47

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 02:47
Roachie, I pondered this a while ago in this thread...

off road - what does it mean?
FollowupID: 843452

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 13:20

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 13:20
Maric,I had the same problem, I got some 1/2"bird wire and drilled and screwed it to the under side of the floor supports with tek screws and washers, where plumbing etc.,is below the beams wrap it loosely with bird wire first then cover, make sure the brake wiring is behind the axle, from the axle to the hub, cover wires with split conduit. don't use cable ties to any thing that is exposed, use tie wire. the only thing that gets thru mine now is pea gravel.Cost about $50 and an easy days work. Hope this helps. Keith
AnswerID: 556874

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 17:17

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 17:17
Maric, I assume that you are talking about the PVC waste outlet that comes out in front of the RH wheel. We destroyed our outlet on the same road but going in the other direction.

My solution was to put a slightly larger PVC pipe over the one that carries waste water, leaving it loose to better absorb stone impacts. Works like a charm. No more problems. We are about to test it on a run to the Cape.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556879

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 17:20

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 17:20
I use a Stone Stomper stone deflector and that guarantees a continual shower of stones under the van. My solution withstands that shower od stones.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843170

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 21:40

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 21:40
This is the finished "Product"

Mike.
AnswerID: 556889

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 20:17

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 20:17
I still reckon the best bid was the $100 to leave it on!

Hey great show guys. We had a ball but unfortunately that dreaded four lettered W word which shall not be spake has intervened and we are home again, not before honing our skills at tyre changes and repairs on the Tjukururu Road.

See y'all again some time. And if coming thru Kal, please look us up.

Paul & Tracy
FollowupID: 843285

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 16:10

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 16:10
Now Now,

That finished product raised $270 for the Isolated Children Parents Association :)

Having had an 8 month old beard shaved as well as my head I think it was well worth it.

Mike, you should post the before, 1st attempt which lasted 24 hours and then the finished product.

I just got home after 21 days on the road and am hoping someone comes up with the courage to run next years, if not I have a few leads I intend following up on.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843437

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 17:25

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 17:25
Here is some better photo's

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843439

Sponsored Links