In Dash Navigation System

Submitted: Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 09:50
ThreadID: 119472 Views:2678 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,
Can anyone advise me on a suitable in dash navigation system for my GU4 Patrol.
What I need is:
- Double Din form factor;
- Ability to load Topo maps for off road use;
- Normal functions like AM/FM radio, CD/DVD, Bluetooth mobile phone, etc;
- High "sensitivity" for better remote area radio reception;

I'm more interested in functionality and simplicity but doing the rounds of the car radio shops the systems all seem to be focused on the sizzle and flash.

Any advice you can provide based on user experience would be much appreciated.

Gazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:04

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:04
Hi Gazza, I have one from Brash Imports in Victoria. Have had several items from David Brash and have no hesitation in suggesting you have a look at his range.
Brash Imports

Cheers
AnswerID: 556952

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:07

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:07
Hi,
Check out this link for a cheaper version but by no means less in performance. they have a range of add ons like cameras to fit it with all wiring looms to suit. No cutting or splicing needed.

Dig Options

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556953

Reply By: noggins - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:40

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:40
I have one similar to this one fitted in my PJ Ranger

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Android-4-4-Double-2-Din-Car-DVD-Player-Radio-Stereo-Head-Unit-GPS-SATNAV-RDS-3G-/281371110462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4183066c3e

I would give a picture of it but once again I'd have to go thru a Lot of Worry to assert my my membership

Ron

AnswerID: 556956

Follow Up By: noggins - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:41

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:41
Forgot to mention
The GPS is on a SD card and once you set the BAUD rate it's all good.

Ron
FollowupID: 843239

Follow Up By: Gazza11 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 13:18

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 13:18
Ron,

Thx for the info. I'll certainly have a look!

BTW do you know the origin of the term "Baud rate"?

It's a leftover from the era of Telegraph messaging when Telegrams were first automated they used the "Baudot" code and the rate was generally 50 Bauds or 50 charactors per minute!

I had the dubious honour of installing and commissioning the last telex exchange in Australia at 30 parker St, Haymarket in Sydney.

So a bit of a history lesson to boot!

Gazza
FollowupID: 843248

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:48

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:48
I bought one from Elinz Electronics via eBay. It's a real dog, has been back to the factory twice and comes back with a new fault each time. Am bout to bin it.
I strongly suggest avoiding this company.
Keith
AnswerID: 556964

Follow Up By: cruiser 3 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:37

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:37
Yes I brought a colour reversing camera kit from Elinz but while it's ok it is only blue on blue not colour. Upon contacting the seller he said that's how they are. So I gues blue is a Colour but I wouldn't reccommend them either.
FollowupID: 843259

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 13:02

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 13:02
I would avoid Polaris as well as Eonan on Ebay.
Had bad experience with both
AnswerID: 556966

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:39

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:39
We bought a VMS double din box with integration adaptor cable with all the above functionality in it back when we got the car 2009. It got damaged in an accident and replaced by a later model. I would recommend them to anyone. Not cheap but after comparing it with a few that my son has used and units in club members cars, I would recommend it any day. They do come with both street and off road navigation programs (now called an apps). I deleted their off road one and use OziCE. I won't comment on the street nav as I rarely use any kind of street navigation.

The screen is a good size. Not like a PC or laptop that shows you the "world". By that I mean a big screen with lots of info that needs you to actually "look" at it rather than just take a glance at it when you are driving, and get your eyes back on the track ahead. Much easier to navigate for yourself "on the go". I don't even use the laptop for navigation now. It comes along as a store for the photos. And their is an easy to use screen design program around the traps that you can make up your own screen/s. As I have.

I am also happy to see that you are looking at an in-dash unit. Beats stuff simply stuck on the windscreen or on some sort of monstrous steel mount that will break your head if it comes loose in a prang. Good on you. Things actually mounted IN the dash don't come loose if installed correctly. And with bluetooth you can shove the mobile phone in the back or the glove box where it wont distract you.

Have a look at the VMS units. Yes they take all the Hema, Tropo, zone, council and emergency services maps as well.

Phil
AnswerID: 556975

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:36

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:36
Gazza
Have a look at the Parrot Asteroid smart system, as another to possibly utilise.
Had mine fitted for couple years now and a great unit .
Like EVERY system it has drawbacks, but overall I'm impressed.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556982

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:51

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:51
Gazza

When I bought my Rok I got a VMS in-dash GPS fitted.
I have had problems with it and have given up talking to them about it.
I would recommend that you do not even consider a VMS unit.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557042

Sponsored Links