Not toilet humour...

Hi all
Have been using a porta potty in the camp trailer, which we would empty every third day usually, using the nappy San in it, works a treat!
But now we are thinking about moving to a pop top, the likes of a Coromal or goldstream type of thing, maybe in the next year or so, finances permitting!!
I've seen the ensuite type vans, sort of semi off road, but was wondering, with the size of the cassette for the toilets, is it still ok using the nappy San, and how long would you leave it to empty it.. Seem to be much larger capacity? Just wondering... Thoughts please, or experience with these... Thanks Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 19:04

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 19:04
Yes Napisan is used in caravans and cassettes are best emptied after 3 days whether full or not. We also find that a road trip before emptying ensures everything is disolved and pours out easily.

The capacity of the cassette means it can be used more during the 3 days but I would not use capacity to delay emptying. After 3 days is when smells etc seem to arise

Alan
AnswerID: 557079

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 20:51

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 20:51
Empty our every 2 days otherwise if it is to full, it gets to heavy. At 2 days, it does not smell that bad.

Best thing is to use it as a toilet for both number 1 & 2 as they smell more with only urine.

We use a cap of soaker a day.
AnswerID: 557082

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Jul 17, 2015 at 16:32

Friday, Jul 17, 2015 at 16:32
Hullo Kazza055
There was a very informative post only a while ago in which a bio-chemist (?) explained that napisan and other additives do not work with just urine - hence the smell and the need to use the toilet it for both 1 & 2
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 843418

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:35

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:35
Forgot to say that I add a dash of eucalyptus oil with the nappisan and this can be added again (as can a bit more nappisan) if needed after 2 days if emptying is, of necessity, deferred for a day or so.
FollowupID: 843465

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:33

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:33
Probably exactly the dame Odog. Our built in Thetford has a standard 20 litre cassette. If used full time it needs emptying after three days; not too heavy to handle, and what ever sanitiser you use three days is enough. See My Blog on Toilets and using Sodium Percarbonate laundry/nappy soaker powders.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 557088

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:34

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:34
Darn not having an immediate edit function. Of course you know I am saying

"Probably exactly the SAME Odog."
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843405

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 01:10

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 01:10
HI all, having had 'porta-potties' camping and with a trailer tent, 2 cassette based c/vans and one M/Home, overall the years- smell seems to be noticeable by end of day 1 or 2 with using proprietary chemicals as much as with napisan as your chemist says, if its mainly urine waste. ( temperature dependant of course) .
I personally found an into bowl spray ( you'll love this one!) called 'poo pourri', royal flush, to be good. ( NO relationship with them of course) toilet spray. Ex USA, buy here easily. works by using essential oils .
Napisan worked fine in all our bigger vehicle cassettes. we emptied as filled or by day 2 - 3. disadvantage- subject to finding a disposal point.
many articles and blogs on subject of toilets, Napisan .
by the by: ?not so funny - saw the result of hot weather on a full single type site loo once- exploded in very nasty fashion! OH .... one would say!
MG.

AnswerID: 557151

Sponsored Links