4wd/Caravan Insurance

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:00
ThreadID: 119525 Views:3793 Replies:10 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived

I've been looking into getting insurance on our 4wd and am quite confused. I've done some research online as well as called a couple companies. We do not plan on doing hard-core 4wding but do plan on doing fairly 'beginner' style tracks, dirt/gravel roads, possibly on sand etc.

Not all companies offer off road insurance, Are there any you recommend? I got a quote yesterday from YOUI which was around double the quotes from some of the other companies but they said they were 'one of the only companies that offer off-road insurance', she also said as I am a P plater (greens) it was a very good price, My husband was also included in the price and as he is older/fully licenced this actually brought the price down a bit.

What car items do I need to include in the insurance? I'm not really sure what is 'standard' and what may have been modified/added to the car. What sort of things do I need to look out for in the documents? I've never had insurance before and don't want to get stung, as we will be doing the big lap we don't want to be without insurance.

We have not yet bought our van, so can't get any quotes on that but when we do what do we need to include on the policy? What do we need to look out for and are we best off going with the same company as the car? For example YOUI said if we insure the car and van with them, we would only have to pay one excess instead of both.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:17

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:17
Can I suggest you contact Ken Tame Insurance https://www.kentame.com.au/
Suite 2-4, 79-83 High St South Kew, Victoria 3101 Phone: (03) 9853 5555
I have been using them for many years....luckily I haven't had to make a claim yet ......but I know of others who have & they find Tame's easy to deal with.
You have to belong to the CMCA www.cmca.net.au/ to take up the insurance offered by Ken Tame which is not really a problem. Yearly membership cost are low & the savings made on the premium are FAR greater!!!!!

Usual disclaimer .... NO affiliation with Ken Tame other than being a happy customer
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 557130

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:24

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:24
ok now i dont fully know your situation but if your a P plater and your married there is no sensible reason to have the vehicles in your name
if your husband has the vehicles insured then that also insures you to drive them albeit with a higher excess should anyuthing happen.
Im insured with RAC insurance and should I lend my 4by to my mates kid who lets thier friend drive it who has had thier p plates for kless than a day - its still fully covered in the event of an accident (providing nothing illegal caused the accident)

now as for offering offroad insurance
- NO insurer offers offroad insurance
you need to read thier PDS to see whats NOT covered
Im covered anywhere within australia im legally entitled to be ---- yep thats all it says
so that INCLUDES beaches, deserts and anything in between
AnswerID: 557131

Follow Up By: Ash H1 - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 15:09

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 15:09
I asked a o the insurers I called if they cover 'off road'' they said they do providing it's not a race/competition event (as that is a different type of insurance) and as long as I am not illegally trespassing or doing anything else illegal I'm covered anywhere in AUS on or off-road :)
FollowupID: 843436

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:27

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:27
Hi Ash,

Whatever Insurance Company you choose, ensure you are able to insure both your vehicle and van from the one company.
This will make any claims process much more simple than trying to deal with two different companies, when you are stranded out in the bush somewhere.

As far as off road insurance is concerned, there should be no difference whatsoever with "normal" insurance cover.

I have been with the RAA in South Australia for a period approaching 50 years and have never been asked or questioned where I may be taking my 4WD. It is insured for all purposes that don't include competitive sports or hiring the vehicle.

As I had both vehicle and household insurance with the RAA, when it was time to insure our new van, the policy (obtained at a very competitive rate), matched or exceeded that of another "Van Insurer" that I was given a brochure for, by the Caravan retailer I purchased our van through.

When the policy includes things such as getting your broken down vehicle and/or van to the nearest place of repair and also includes accommodation or personal transport costs, it makes good sense to be dealing with just the one Insurer.

Have a look at the Motoring Body offers in your home state and I would be surprised if they don't offer policies as good as the RAA does in SA.
Obviously, the more policies you have with the one Insurer, the cheaper the combined policies should be. Coupled with "best practice" insurance, for whatever you are insuring, that is how clever Companies keep and grow their customer base.


I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557132

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 12:48

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 12:48
They will provide agreed value cover and off road Australia wide

Insurance Services
Blackwood - SA
TCIS Insurance Brokers
4WD Motor Vehicle, Camper Trailer & Camping Equipment Insurance.
Agreed Value Insurance, Full Off Road Cover.
163 Main Road 18 0063 3745
AnswerID: 557135

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 17:17

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 17:17
Yep second TCIS. I have my modified 4x4, slide on camper, our Ulti and my Quad and trailer all insured with TCIS. They are an arm of Arther J Gallagher now. Lisa Brock is the person to speak to.


''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843438

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 09:14

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 09:14
And their prices have now gone through the roof, but they still offer salvage rights, no one else does.

Shannon's also have insurance for non-gazetted roads.
FollowupID: 843458

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 13:55

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 13:55
Most insurance companies cover you offroad as long as you are doing it legally - it may not be specifically mentioned in their PDS though remembering that if something is not mentioned in the exclusions and you tick the other boxes (ie you did not steal the car, not DUI etc) then you are covered.

As always carefully read the PDS before signing up.
AnswerID: 557136

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 17:55

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 17:55
It should be noted that both Kentame insurance and TCIS
are both nothing more than Allianze insurance re sellers
AnswerID: 557138

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 20:07

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 20:07
Yes they are but they offer far more than you will ever get by going to Allianze direct Ken Tame are able to get a far better deal and far more from the insurer because of the bargaining power by representing a large group. Not affiliated in any way with Ken Tame.
FollowupID: 843445

Reply By: Garry E1 - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 18:28

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 18:28
Hi Ash, I had exactly the same problem as you. Just reading the posts other people have put on here 99% of the the insurance companies WILL NOT cover you off road.

I contacted the insurance ombudsman who directed me to a company called DGA Insurance brokers in Melbourne. There phone number is 18008004711.

Also Elders Insurance may help as well as they specialize in insurance on the land.

AnswerID: 557139

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 18:41

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 18:41
I think you will find most actually do cover you off road
I haven't read all the PDS from all of them but Im yet to see one that doesn't cover you offroad
and your the 3rd person to recommend a broker
a broker does nothing more than on sell insurance from an insurance company and gain trailing commission
FollowupID: 843441

Follow Up By: Ash H1 - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 18:49

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 18:49
Hi Garry,

All of the companies I have spoken with so far have told me that they all cover off-road.. NRMA, ALLIANZ, YOUI, AAMI just to name a few that I called.

FollowupID: 843442

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 19:57

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 19:57
I know a person who went nose first off a sand dune and wrote the car off. Normal insurance paid out on it.
FollowupID: 843444

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 07:47

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 07:47
Puzzled by the 99% won't cover off-road - I'm thinking it is a "typo" as it will be the other way around.

I've researched this extensively over the years, and it is fairly straight forward, just read the PDS and don't overcomplicate definitions of "anywhere in Australia".

Most PDS documents for comprehensive insurance cover will say words to the effect "we will cover you anywhere in Australia".

There will be disclaimers later where it will say as long as you are entitled to be there, not in a race, not over prescribed alcohol limits etc.

I have not seen one that says we will not cover you off-road.

The PDS is designed to be a simple worded document (for us plebs) and therefore if they don't intend to cover you off-road the document will need to tell you that.

The problem that arises is when people start asking companies to define what they mean by "anywhere in Australia". The Simpson Desert is in Australia, Cape York is to...if you get the drift. The confusion arises when you start asking "cal centre" people to start defining the statement, they can't, but there is no need for them to do so.

DGA is an insurance broker who place four-wheel drive policies with Elders (on a commission basis). The Elders PDS document is precisely the same as all the other major insurer's, say nothing more or less in the PDS.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 843456

Follow Up By: Garry E1 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:10

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:10
Baz What you have stated about DGA insurance is not true. DGA do not have any dealings with Elders Insurance.

I have my caravan insured with Elders insurance.



FollowupID: 843462

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:14

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:14
All the main insurance companies cover you for offroad so you obviously didn't look very hard.
FollowupID: 843463

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 14:51

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 14:51
I've heard of plenty of instances of insurance paying out on vehicles doing off road activities. However, it would be interesting to see what would occur if 2 cars collided head on half way along the Canning Stock Route. Would the towies be called? I would venture to say that Garry E1 would have less of an argument with his company, not to say the other company wouldn't come to the party, but probably kicking and screaming. I've priced off road insurance and its considerably dearer from the quotes I've had. Other situations, a belly full of water from a river crossing or going under on a beach. I've heard of both being covered by normal insurance to my amazement.
FollowupID: 843472

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:40

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:40
HEY GARRY E1 - no need to SHOUT!

DGA is an insurance broker, and I will stand corrected that they appear to place insurance with CGU Insurance, not Elders. Mind you Elders are actually underwrite a lot of its insurance obligations with QBE Insurance...

On the insurance Ombudsman, all I can say they don't now much about the insurance business if the information given to you is anything to go on, as 99% of insurers who offer comprehensive insurance cover "Anywhere in Australia".

And I can't think of who the other 1% is.

But I will offer one tip, check the PDS of all the major insurers offering comprehensive insurance - they will all say, "we cover you anywhere in Australia" - if your Elders policy doesn't say that - then I would recommend changing it...(free advice!)

Simple really, but I'll leave you it...was trying to be helpful mate!

Cheers, Baz

FollowupID: 843482

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:46

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:46

No surprise those events (river and beach) are covered as they will be viewed as an accident (unless it was deliberate), precisely the reason you have comprehensive insurance cover.

Remember, anywhere in Australia means on a beach or in a river!

In terms of the CSR, well you may find there will be a levy to recover the vehicle, noting if the vehicle cannot be driven your obligation is to ensure it is secured, but if you can't drive it, you can't drive it, and it will eventually become the insurers problem, I suspect. I be interested to understand that better...

Cheers, Baz - The landy
FollowupID: 843485

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 20:34

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 20:34
The mob I had a quote from was TCIS. I think the main difference between normal insurance and the so called off road insurance is how much they will spend on towing and recovery, plus the level of protection for car modifications. The off road policies seem to be more liberal with what is an allowed modification so giving you more piece of mind that the thousands of $$ you may have invested in an old 4wd. Normal insurance usually states "reasonable cost" of recovery while off road states "full recovery cost".
FollowupID: 843489

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 23:45

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 23:45
We have had claims in our family for accidents off road; private property (farm paddock) and on the beach. If you are legally entitled to be there, comprehensive insurance should cover you.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 557146

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 00:40

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 00:40
Hi Ash, as you have seen what companies offer varies, if the PDS doesn't exclude "off road" then your covered as said by others. Read carefully.
note the 'legal to be there' part- many tracks and bits of undeveloped bush favoured by some especially in outer areas of cities are not declared 4x4 areas and as such illegal . so can be going thru someone's property without permission.
There are other exemption provisions, its all in the PDS.
If you get more adventurous, note that damage occurring at various times whilst 4x4' ing in the one day can be considered separate claims! ( happened to me)
I had a standard vehicle cover and was ok for at least one accident off road.
I am sure the fact that as 4wd are designed for off road use, implies they would be used as such, thus covered for this use if insurance is accepted .

Standard is the base vehicle ( as new) without any mods or add- ons or accessories.

Accessories /modifications need to be separately listed or may not be covered, EG: Gas conversion ( all components), bull bars, tow bars, spot lights, snorkel, mats, CB+ariels, roof racks, canopy, anything inside ute portion of vehicle ( even with canopy) may not be covered ( tools, camping gear, ) , non original tyres and rims, any other non original parts added or changed, all the bits for a 2" or 4" lift ( shocks, etc..), hi lift jack, recovery kit, diff lockers, 12 v installations, after market items, 'hot cams', exhaust upgrades, add- a- turbo, twin battery/ controller set ups, electronic rust devices, etc...... you get the idea.

May not be easy to get car and van with same insurer, try CIL. Check that anything 'said' is actually in writing in policy.

May I also suggest if your considering 4wd you consider a basic course- money well spent. good luck.
AnswerID: 557148

Reply By: 322 - Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 07:38

Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 07:38
I have read horror stories on this very subject. People thinking they are covered off road. Then the insurer not paying up because the insured had ventured more than 400mts down the beach from the boat ramp or beach entrance. Or they had driven around an obstacle off the track and rolled. Voiding their insurance because they were not on a track. I insure through DGA with an Alliance policy. My policy states no geographical boundaries or limitations. This wording was something that a well known 4x4 magazine said to look for in your off road policy. I've found DGA very good to deal with so far.
AnswerID: 557187

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:43

Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:43
Actual examples or hearsay?

My point is that most, if not all, PDS documents are quite specific that they will cover you" anywhere in Australia" for accidental loss or damage.

And secondly, they are quite specific about what they won't include. I'm yet to find a mainstream insurer that does not cover off-road without actually spelling it out in a PDS document. But I can't find one that doesn't in any case.

My suspicion is there will be more to the "story" on the "horror stories".

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 843495

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:55

Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:55
Or the incidents are mechanical breakdown/damage not accident damage so rarely covered by any insurance policy.
FollowupID: 843496

Follow Up By: 322 - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 20:50

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 20:50
Well I'm simply not willing to take the chance. That's why I asked for the wording in my policy. Here say or not. If it can happen, it may happen. Isn't that the reason why we have insurance in the first place.
FollowupID: 843709

Sponsored Links