Portable Battery Packs

Submitted: Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 23:41
ThreadID: 119552 Views:1974 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys Im a new member. My wife and I are going camping to Exmouth at end of August with our baby. Looking at getting some lights, fan for the baby so will need some power. What are peoples thoughts on the portable battery options like Thumpers or what is the best option instead.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 03:31

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 03:31
G,day Rodney, welcome to the forum. I have a battery pack from supercheap,had it for a few years now,never had any trouble with it,used mainly for my little 12 volt shower pump and a fluoro light and have also jump started some vehicles with it. It is a yellow 900 amp one,cost about 90 bucks back then.
Have a great trip to Exmouth,
Cheers,
Sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 557221

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:04
I have the yellow 900 amp jump pack and the purple 1900 amp one too, use them to run glue guns and led lights for paintless dent repair work.

I have used them on trips a couple of times as a back up, but the are only have the equivalent of 19amp/hr and 38 amp/hr respectively internal batteries, so are a bit limited for all but a night, maybe 2 nights.

Trouble is charging them, the ciggy charger or little 240v supplied charger takes 7 or 8 hrs minimum (I use a Supercheap 6amp mains charger at home, about half an hour to charge, but not practical for use 4wdn etc.

I would either get an arkpak type setup, the in built smart charge is pretty good with the 12v 6 amp charger.

But really a thumper, plain battery box, or just second battery fitted is probably best for you, charged from isolator via main alternator charging, set and forget.
A 100 amp/hr battery is probably ample for your needs described, only needs minimal driving each day, or set up a 120amp solar panel during the day to top off.
FollowupID: 843524

Reply By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 05:19

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 05:19
Reckon you will do better to get a second battery installed that will be regularly charged from the motor and will be able to run a fan , fridge(if needed) and lights. Baby is very precious cargo and spending a little more on a system that wont fail you is paramount. Cheapest Thumper battery set listed on their website is $450 for a tiddly 48 amp hour job (that gives you about 30 amp hour max use). Just as cheap and better to install second battery and 2 extra sockets in rear or front of car. Plus saves lugging around 20+ kilos of battery in the car which will need securing and also charging somehow.

cheers
AnswerID: 557223

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 07:38

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 07:38
You get what you pay for!

I have owned a Thumper Battery Pack for years and it is great for a myriad of uses.
I use it for camping when I take the tent instead of the camper, to run the fridge,light, etc.
I always carry it in the vehicle (where it can be charged by the in-car charge kit) for purposes such as running the air compressor.
I can also maintain a charge via a folding solar panel array.
Depending on your perceived uses, you can get a Thumper in various capacities and for your stated needs, a 48Ah unit may be sufficient. But, what if you wish to add a compressor fridge at some later stage? The small unit may not be big enough and you may be better off paying the extra for a larger capacity unit.
I have a 75+Ah Thumper and this is large enough for running a 40l fridge, etc. for a couple of days and provided you have a means of charging it, will provide indefinite power.
The 75Ah unit is about as heavy as you want to go for portability. The larger 105Ah Thumper is very heavy and is best left in the one spot in the vehicle.

For functionality and best quality portable unit, a Thumper is the best choice.
For a less portable solution, the ABR Sidewinder Flyer is another good choice, with the ability to install a smaller or larger AGM battery of your choice.
I use a Flyer as my auxiliary battery in the rear of my vehicle.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557225

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:03
Hi Rod

The FLYER is a good option, have a look here: FLYER-in-Kluger

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 557230

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:34

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:34
Hi Derek. I like the look of that easy setup. Could you please tell me, I have a Statesman with the battery in the boot. Could you please give me the length of the charge cable. I'm considering putting the Flyer in the trailer, running the cable along the draw bar and into the boot. Or would you suggest something else, perhaps tapping into trailer wiring?
Thanks.
Steve.
FollowupID: 843522

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 13:11

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 13:11
It has a 6m charge cable, you will need 2 more Anderson plugs and cut the cable at the tow ball.

or

Mount the FLYER in the boot and cut the cable to suit, you will need 1 more Anderson plug for this.

Regards

Derek from ABR
FollowupID: 843523

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:58

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:58
This style of unit gives you much better amps per dollar spend than the units with built in batteries
There are a number of these style cases on the market and then you choose a suitable battery for your needs
FollowupID: 843525

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)