Midges on Cape York

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 20:09
ThreadID: 119592 Views:4316 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Been in Port Douglas for 10 days prior to heading further north. Been here often before but midges worse than I can ever remember. What are they like in Cooktown and Weipa?

Also, are there any on the central road ie Musgrave, Archer River etc. Just want to know if we can give the Deet a spell for a couple of days.

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:00

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:00
We were on Cape York in 1st half July (Cairns to tip and return).
With my hairy legs & arms I personally don't suffer from insect bites greatly but my wife does. The worst midges we encountered were at Palm, Cove, very little north of Cooktown. We stayed at Musgrave, Wenlock R (on Portland Roads), Punsand Bay (5 nights), "Merluna", Pt Douglas, Cooktown & Cape Trib.
Wife never had "Bushmans" far from reach though, I only used it once.
The southern Cape has had very low rainfall this year, the Tip 60-80% of normal. It has just been comparatively very wet on the east coast of the Cape (record in Cairns) this June.

Mark
AnswerID: 557326

Reply By: birdnerd - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:09

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:09
Hi,
We were in Port Douglas mid to late June and midges were bad, for me anyway, don't seem to bite my husband at all. I had bit red itchy spots on bottom half of legs and especially ankles. They did not seem to care about the Bushmans too much!
Nine at Musgrave or Archer River roadhouse. Enjoy your trip.
Amanda
AnswerID: 557327

Reply By: Kenell - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 13:34

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 13:34
Hi,
My wife and I have also just returned from the Tip. We were rained out of Cairns and Cooktown and on the way back - Wonga Beach - 100mm in one night !! We struck the odd midge nearly everywhere but nothing significant. Worst time is straight after a shower, wearing thongs, late in the day. Bushman is nigh on useless imho. Rid did the trick though. Can't remember any at Weipa, Musgrave or Bramwell Stn, but maybe a couple at Punsand and certainly Wonga but thats not far from Port D. so you know that has them.

Kenell
AnswerID: 557349

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 08:54

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 08:54
Very interesting info-thanks. I bought lots of Bushman for the recent trip to the Kimberley because I expected anything and everything that bites (they love my blood). We never used it, either for flies or mozzies or sandflies. Don't pack it for next year's Cape trip, eh?
Ironically, Rid makes me itch for about a week. Itch for a week with Rid or for itch for 7 days from the sandflies...what a choice!
It's sort of like treating a cold...it'll last 7 days if you take something or a week if you don't...!

:)

Might have to research those home made ones that I saw on a thread ages ago...
FollowupID: 843685

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 10:05

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 10:05
Robyn
I thought the home made ones were for treating the bites (once you were bitten), primarily to stop subsequent infection rather than a deterrent/protectant per se. Equal parts of Tea tree oil, Dettol and rid from memory.

Mark
FollowupID: 843687

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 13:25

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 13:25
Oh!
I certainly do have to do my research then, don't I?!

:)
FollowupID: 843689

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:38

Sunday, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:38
Probably a million recipes that all work, Robyn? :-)

We had a recipe that we used on our girls when we lived on the Diamantina for a number of years. Sand flies would be pretty bad after a flood, for up to a month, and sometimes more.

Just asked the Boss, and for once she can't remember, but think it was equal parts of Baby Oil, Dettol, and metho. It was used to keep the sand flies off, as well as soothe any previous bites. The youngest daughter was particularly susceptible, and the bites would often became inflamed.

Funny thing, like some of other blokes on this thread, they didn't worry me too much.

2 commercial products we used, with a lot of success, for flies and probably sandies, were "OFF Skintastic" and Nature's Botannical "Cedarwood & Rosemary". The latter product is the ONLY thing for bush flies, though if you apply on the face regularly, it needs a foundation cream of some sort.

Loved your "7 days........1 week" comment, Robyn. :-)))

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 843719

Reply By: 322 - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 20:40

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 20:40
I'm with Mark on this one. The wife gets bit anywhere. I have little to no issue. I think I got two bites in the two weeks in the Cape. The wife and kids had plenty.
AnswerID: 557397

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:05

Sunday, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:05
A daily dose of vitamin B started 7/10 days prior to midge country will in 99% of cases stop the little buggers [you need to continue to take the vitamin in country daily] , The itch is not actually caused by a 'bite' but from midge URINE that the midge leave upon the skin ,
AnswerID: 557406

Sponsored Links