Snowy Dust Bowl

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 00:04
ThreadID: 11991 Views:2013 Replies:4 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again to John and Barry. Easter down on the Snowy was very dusty and dry, although it did rain a little on Sunday morning. Very busy place with all the camp sites full.
John, I hope your son, sorry but I forgot his name, didn't have to tell you that you have taken the wrong turn again. It seemed that every other person down there had some form of electronic navigation system.
Barry, now that Thomas has been in a Landcruiser, I think you should do the right thing and get one.He thought it was good crossing the Murray and not have water rushing in.
I hope that everone that went away for Easter had a good time and a safe trip home.
Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 00:39

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 00:39
Hi Wayne
Nice to meet you in the middle of the Vic High country.
No, no wrong turns he lets me know pretty quick which way to go, Andrew has the lap top and GPS down pat, kids these days are very computer literate he worked it out in ablout 3 minutes and I can't get him off it now.
Here we are driving down these alpine tracks and in between giving me directions at the same time he's enhancing digital photos and watching DVD's and telling me about all the programs he's discovered that my lap top has that he knows all the details of. Puts me to shame. LOL.

I have to say I was disapointed with the attitude displayed by some people.
Maybe I am being a bit picky but.
I saw several camp fires left unattended I also saw a group of three vehicles from NSW who actually broke camp and left the fire burning, I sent my kids over with buckets of water to douse the flames.
Considering how dry the area still is and how fresh the evidence of last years fires I was amazed at this complete disregard for commonsence.

I was also very disapointed with the amount of toilet paper etc left in areas, What's the matter with people don't they own a shovel or are they afraid to use it.

My last real gripe is probably going to start a fight but I also had a number of run in's with people towing their nice offroad trailers down tracks that were not in anyway suited to trailers and they had no means to pull over to let others pass, and in general most seemed to struggle to cope with track conditions and water crossing's.
Their attitude appeared to be that the might is right rule seemed to apply.

Otherwise we had a great weekend.

Regards
John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 53983

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:04

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:04
You think you're a true "bushy" just because you have a swag or tent and not a trailer? What bull****! 4WDs driven by "bushies" who think they have a right to chop up wet tracks and kick up loads of dust as they belt along, does more damage than a trailer being towed, especially as the person towing goes more slowly and carefully.

I would also suggest that the people you saw "struggling" were also just being careful (in most cases).

FollowupID: 315641

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:25

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:25
John, I know your point on trailers and the experience level of some of the dirvers who only drive them very odd weekends. Especially some who leave their campfires alight or their toilet for others to "find". Not suggesting they are the same people necessarily of course.

I do note though Lynn2 in her comment about wet tracks and dust. It would be uncommom on the one road to have the two together! There are some tracks that are suitable for the vehicle only. No, Lynn2 I don't have a swag.
FollowupID: 315642

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:48

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:48
Hey!!! i have a swag and a 4wd, tent, camper trailer and i'm from the bush, Moree is where i hail from, is some having a go at us bushies. Dust is a fact of life in these bad times, sometimes it cant be helped, i defy anyone to drive on a dusty road and not kick up dust or a muddy track and chop it up. Just my opinion. And these people who treat the outdoors with contempt should be hung by their naughty bits, bloody inconsiderate mongrels!!!!!

Baz. PS, oh by the way guy's, Big Yango at Yengo NP was great no crouds only about 2 or 3 family's camped there, so peaceful.
FollowupID: 315643

Follow Up By: John - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:11

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:11
Hi All thanks for the comments.
As I said I knew the comment about trailors would receive negative replies.
Lynn2, I in no way consider myself a "Bushie" I consider myself to be someone who enjoys the outdoors along with I'm sure all the rest of you.

My comment pertains to the issue of inconsiderate people, many people who I meet with over the weekend including many motorbike riders were out enjoying themselves and it was obvious to me by their actions they considered others.
A number of people obviously towed their trailors in to relativley easy areas and then based themselves out from there with their 4bys.

I was camped near a stream about 1.5km south of the Murray River Ford and watched as two camper trailers on two separate occasions had great difficulty crossing what was a relatively easy water crossing.
They each bottomed out on the exit and actually had to back up into the creek and have another go, each time holding up other traffic in both directions. They were "struggling" and not just being carefull."
I also had a 60 series crusier with trailer come down Limestone track in a particularly bad spot that did not have enough room for him to pull over with trailor, The trailor was still blocking the track, In this instance I was forced to reverse down the track quite some distance to get clear for him to pass.
I also watched another guy race down Davies Plain with his trailer at a rate that I would not have considered in my truck without a trailor kicking up huge clouds of dust, he must have been late for dinner or something there was just no need for his actions.

My comment stands these types of people are pretty bloody minded in my view and consider themselves before others.
Not a nice attitude in my book.
I guess it's these same type of people who tow there trailors over the Simpson Desert despite local advice to the contrary and commonsence in general.
The dust is a fact of life Waynes comments were that it was dusty and dry, fact of life no complaints from me about this, I cannot do anything about it and just accept it.

I had a great weekend and will not let a few inconsiderate people spoil a fantastic place for me.

Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 315660

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:40

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:40
Well, I couldn't let your statement about negative comments go unanswered, could I? By the way, we don't own a camper trailer, just thought the discussion might be interesting.

I do, however, believe that people are often inconsiderate - 4WDrivers, trailbikers, trailer towers alike. We, like you, were away over Easter and drove our 4WD along a track in the Garden of Stones National Park near Newnes. There were many trial bike riders coming in the opposite direction to us at different times. We always pulled over when we saw them approaching. One bloke, however, came around the bend at great speed and altho' we stopped, he had to swerve and almost lost control to avoid going under our truck. This is just plain stupid behaviour. As I said, most of the others were fine.

Bye,
Lynn
FollowupID: 315668

Follow Up By: landie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 00:22

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 00:22
John

Your comments, directed at trailers, suggest a small amount of intolerance on your part.

Everyone to there own, and if it isn't your cup of tea, that is fine with me.

However, in contrast to your personal experince, most of the people I met with trailers over the weekend, and I'll include myself in this, were at the ready to do whatever it took to ensure they and others could get on with their 'own' thing with the minimum of fuss and inconvience.

It is all a matter of perspective, those on motorbikes my very well have felt that vehicles, without trailers, were equally an inconvience.

The challenge is to get on with what we are doing and deal with situations in the best possible way, whilst at the same time acknowledging everyone's right to do the 'own' thing.

I'll hop down now!

Regards
Landie
FollowupID: 315774

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:05

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:05
G'day Landie

Having read your comments to John I guess it is distinct to him. I thought you may had detected a little intolerance from me, JohnR, but I tend to reserve my inteolerance for drivers with caravans rather than camper trailers.

There is also an intolerance towards slow drivers who cannot recognise they are slow drivers and don't do anything about letting others past.

I thought I would lay mine out seeing you had been so polite. ; )
FollowupID: 315795

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 00:47

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 00:47
Actually come to think of it I could not think of a better place to meet you.
Halfway along the Mt Pinnabar / Mt Anderson track on a fantastic sunny Victorian Autum day, brilliant scenery just perfect pity we did not have more time to chat.
Maybe next time.

Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 53984

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:53

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:53
John,
I was disappointed when I looked at a camp site that was big enough to take our group to find a single tent right in the middle of the camp site. I know he was there first and has every right to be there, but to camp where he did, meant that no one else could camp there.
As for other users of the tracks, any where that we go not just down in the Snowy, a little consideration from both parties when they meet on a narrow track would help. Keeping a watch in the rear view morror for vehicle that come up from behind and letting them pass when it is safe to do so, and waiting for vehicles that might have trouble on the track. I have found having the UHF channel that I am using displayed on the back of the Cruiser a big help and also setting the hand held UHF on scan to listen for other vehicles in the area. I have found that most people will wait and let a larger group pass. It is easer for a single vehicle to move to the side of the track than trying to get a large group to move over.
I can't keep typing away here I have a vehicle to clean up so I can go away again next Saturday.
Wayne
FollowupID: 315644

Follow Up By: John - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:16

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:16
Hi Wayne
I agree I scan all UHF channels thats how I knew you guys where coming down towards me, I then spoke to your leader and he advised how many vehicles in convoy and I said I would wait till you all passed.
easier to let a large group pass in one go then have to yield on a mutiple basis on a steep tight track.
All this before I read your company name on the side of his truck and realised it might be your group.

I guess some people just can't help themselves.

Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 315661

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:30

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:30
Hey you lucky things - we love to do that trip in January each year. What a great place. John, am surprised those awful things you noticed happen in the High Country - thought that was restricted to Deserts and open roads. You've every right to be angry by the thoughtlessness of others in these matters.
Wayne, you must be due here soon also. Can't believe the place down there is so dry.
AnswerID: 53989

Follow Up By: John - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:19

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:19
Hi Ruth
Don't talk about it just get out and do it, you would love it.

You have enough friends down here who would I'm sure show you some local hospitality if you wanted some company.

Kind Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 315663

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:03

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:03
Hi John, we just love it down there. Usually in the High Country the first week in January - Ian kept saying last year that he didn't think we'd get there and the day we were due to go was the day it went up in smoke. Got some people in here tonight from Jindabyne who said we'd probably cry to see it now. Still would like to go down again this year if we can. Nice of you to think we've got some friends!!
FollowupID: 315714

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:04

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:04
Hi Ruth
All this talk about inconsiderate people reminds me of a story on the NEWS tonight about a couple of canoeists stuck in the middle of Lake Eyre . They are 40kms from the side and refusing assistance from the people who told them not to do it....takes all types i suppose....
Andrew Wollongong
FollowupID: 315732

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:00

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:00
Hi Dozer - someone made reference to Lake Eyre tonight and canoeists but I didn't know what they meant. Now I see it all - too busy to see the news tonight. Takes all types alright......
Big mob from Wollongong here yesterday (four vehicles really)!
FollowupID: 315760

Reply By: landie - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:30

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:30
Hi Wayne

Good to see you again and as it turned out a number, of times. We had a great time, and of course appreciated your assistance. Other than that one hill the trailer and vehicle went well!

I must say that Thomas did have restless night last night and now it is clear to me why, it was the ride in the Cruiser! (hahaha).

Must say though, I'm still trying to explain to him why your Cruiser was pulling the Landie up that hill.

We stayed in Jindabyne on Monday night and made our way home today. A lot less traffic than yesterday I suspect.

Baz (Landie)
AnswerID: 54118

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:13

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:13
Hey Landie,

I am gettting a minor bit confused, but it may be my mid 50s that is causing it. I see Member Baz has a post then landie who is landie and also Landie who is Baz(Landie)........... I am glad you know.
FollowupID: 315796

Follow Up By: landie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:20

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:20
Hi John R

I can see the confusion, not too worry.

I'm Landie, but amongst other things I am frequently called Baz. I didn't post under Baz!!

Saw your other response to my follow up. It was intended for John.

Landie
FollowupID: 315844

Sponsored Links