Troopy Lift Kits ? ? ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:31
ThreadID: 12025 Views:3092 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning Everyone

Own a 2000 model Troopy (70,000 klicks) and have been setting it up for some long distance travel. You know the usual drawer units storage bins,fridge,65 litre water tank. I notice the bum of the thing is starting to sag just a little. I mean its not major just an inch or two so I thought it might be wise to have a suspension lift maybe?? I was thinking possibly an extra spring or having a lift kit installed. My question is :can a lift kit be used to raise the rear only or do you have to lift the front as well?? What about the cost, any other advise would be appreciated. I'm in the Sydney West area, any recomendations on fitters ??

regards jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:30

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:30
G'day There
Going through the same problem right now. I have now owned two 78's and they have both developed a definate sag when loaded up. Mine carry a heavy load most of the time so the sag only gets worse..... I didn't bother doing anything with the first one - but I will be on my new one....

I have basically come down to two options. If your goal is simply to level the truck out under load then I reckon a set of air-bags is the way to go. The heavy duty one's supplied by Air-Bag Man are the go and will set you back about a grand. If your goal is to deal with the weight problem, as well as increase clearance, the i reckon a suspension upgrade is the way to go... You can fit a kit that will level the truck under load, and probably give you a 50mm lift at the same time without any probs. Still - this comes with an increased cost.

I've pretty much decided to go with an upgrade, but now can't decide whether greasable shackles are the way to go....

Good luck!

Cheers
AnswerID: 54140

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:56

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:56
I have 2 sets of new ARB springs [both types for the 78] from my troppy here, and I fitted ARB rear springs, with the 2nd stage short leave removed,a nd the main 2nd stage leaf turned upside down, this improved travel and ride, and assisted in making the car handle and handle a load better.

I also fitted GQ rear shocks, which were to suit a coil sprung vehicle which was the valving required to stop the yaw and pitching that the coil/leaf troopies have, and these also made a big difference toward improved ride and handling, and leaning.

I also ran 80 front shocks, and fitted a sway bar spacer to stop it hitting the tailshaft, which increased front articulation.
FollowupID: 315811

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:55

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:55
Jeff,
A full suspension kit is the way to go. The ride and comfort will improve. The air bag system, while good, is only for the odd time that extra weight is carried.
Give Chris a ring on 02 9622 1000. He can supply and fit the suspension and answer any other questions that you may have.

Wayne
AnswerID: 54146

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:32

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:32
thanks everyone for your thoughts. i will give this so miner problem more concideration after my month long trip in june which will include the s/desert

regards jeff
AnswerID: 54309

Sponsored Links