Patrol 2001 ST 3TD Engine blow 6 weeks out of warranty

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 22:48
ThreadID: 12145 Views:2168 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Nissan Patrol 2001 ST 3.0 TD from new and have been regularly servicing it. I was heading up to Fraser Island with family for Easter and engine blow up 6 weeks out of warranty. After spending the long weekend stranded and abandoned. Finally getting a Nissan dealer 5 days latter received the news that piston #4 had blown a hole in the top of it and it had scored the bore and I would be up for a 15k rebuild, he also told me that he hadn’t seen or heard of any other problems with this motor (what BS!). At the time I was not aware of this problem. Can any please help me with what direction I need to take with Nissan, I didn't buy a $60k car and expect this. HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!! Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: William - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 22:54

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 22:54
Andy W the intelligent thing would be to contact Nissan direct and I am pretty sure you will get satisfaction if you go about matters correctly.
The Nissan dealer is a typical dealer liar as every man and his dog and budgie know all about the piston hole problems.
If you do not get satisfaction from Nissan, (which I am sure you will) then come back screaming like a pricked pig. I know of similar cases to yours and there have been no problems getting the engine repaired. You did not say how many k's you have on the engine. How many k's have you put on?
AnswerID: 54758

Follow Up By: andyw - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:07

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:07
It has done 140K
FollowupID: 316454

Follow Up By: William - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:12

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:12
With 140k I would say you would not get a full claim. Be prepared to pay something, and negotiate intelligently and calmly but stick to your guns. How much would I be prepared to pay, 40% maximum, and preferable around 32% to 36%. You need to realise you need to be fair and equatable about this and have a balanced view.
FollowupID: 316457

Follow Up By: andyw - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:15

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:15
thanks for the advice
FollowupID: 316459

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:47

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:47
No 4 and No 1 pistons are normally the culprits, and I was recently at a large Melb dealership which had 2 series 3's one with less than 10k and one with less than 50k which also had the same problems the series one GU has had.

If the car has full factory servicing, I woudl expect Williams claims above to be pretty correct, but alot depends on the dealer working with you, and you would be best having the car done at a dealer who would be familiar with the problem ;-)
FollowupID: 316508

Follow Up By: DARREN - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:56

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:56
Go Offroad, I note your comments re series 3's also having the same problems. Being the happy owner of one, this is the first time I have read or heard of a series 3 failing in this regard, also the odometer readings you quote are much less than the usual 100K plus. Are you sure these cars were at the dealer for the same reason?
FollowupID: 316645

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 16:30

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 16:30
Positive why they were there, they had just sent a series 3 out with 70k that had the same problem that week, and got 2 more in, this dealer does afew, and they reported 7 series 3 GU engines for warranty replacement of late, with the 10k unit the smallest km they had seen.

Both vehicles were apart as well, awaiting a nissan guru to come for a look see.

The km seems to be an indicator of how hard the vehicle is worked, a standard bus seems to be out of warranty, but if larger tyres, towing lots, working it hard all the time, the km drop before it expires.
FollowupID: 316667

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:00

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:00
Sorry to hear your situation andyw

I have heard of this happening before and Nissan have come to the party. Especially if you have had it serviced as per the book.

Try Nissan customer assistance 1st and go from there. You can get on to them via head office in melbourne. Don't hold your breath though, they tend to take their time, thats been my experience.

How many K's on the clock out of interest??? series I or II ??? Did you get any warning signs?? Do you have a Dtronic fitted???

Good luck..
AnswerID: 54760

Follow Up By: andyw - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:12

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 23:12
it is a series I with 140K. I haven't fitted a Dtronic
FollowupID: 316456

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:41

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:41
Who would give a truthful answer to the dtronic question on an open forum.... [not that Im saying the reply was a lie.]
FollowupID: 316507

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 08:44

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 08:44
Hi Andy W
Sorry to hear of your troubles, have you contacted the dealer you bought it from and had it serviced at, they may also go into bat for you.
Pity you did not have the extended warrantee for aroung $900, I have decided to cover mine next year for the extra two years.
Also if you are a memeber of a motoring organization RACV NRMA give them a call they have have helped in the past.
Also try link text for information on engine failures
Ray
AnswerID: 54782

Reply By: Pete G - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 13:01

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 13:01
Andy,

My commiserations - Mine went at 140k, about 5weeks out of warranty.

Sounds like the dealer has not been wet behind the ears yet (although mine - a major metro one did tell me about not having replaced one (mine was the second one he replaced by a week), however acknowledging that some dealers were replacing heaps of them)

Nissan came to the party with a new bare long motor. Check your build date as i was under the impression that the GU3 came oput in late 2001 - these had a whole series of modifications done to overcome the problems. (If yours has the 5 bar grille then it is the GU2 which was the release of the 3.0)

Best of luck.

(BTW mine has the unique qualification of being the only vehicle I have had that has left me stranded in close to 1.6m K's of driving)

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 54804

Follow Up By: Pete G - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 13:34

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 13:34
Andy,

Forgot to say that you may be better off returning vehicle to your dealer you purchased it from (sounds a bit you come from a major centre - and are now stranded in a much smaller one ). I know dealer servicing costs - perhaps this helped in my case, however they cannot hang their hats on non dealer servicing either.

After my replacement the turbo bearings went as some gasket goo had blocked the oil feed hole. A dealer in a Major NSW Country Regional Centre where I live (I work in Sydney & have services done there ) charged me 3hrs labour to find problem - I went into the shed and asked what was going on after 2 and 3/4hrs and their prize (the expert) mechanic had pulled every thing to bits and was scratching his head about computer error codes. In absolute disguist I demanded that he take the hose off the front of the turbo and poke a finger in to check the impeller - viola stuffed bearings/shaft.

This mob then demanded I put $3 grand on the table before they would even
Got the vehicle packed up & towed to my place where I stripped it down to find the problem.

Moral of the story is that some of the experts aint - this guy even crapped on about the 3.0l being a heap of Sh-- and he worked for the dealer!!. (My second bad experience with this one - thought they had changed after 10yrs - needless to say I do not recommend anybody even take a dead dog there for burial.)

I ended up there as they were the closest nissan dealer whom my servicing dealer (I did not buy the vehicle from them) said to take it to for a look. Lord help me they even sell BMW's as well as a c ertain 4 letter brand - imagine this electronics goose on the loose with a top of the range Bimmer.

Anyway since this experience I now can relate another horror story that happened to my son who bought a low km's ex gov vehicle from them. Wont go into details unless someone asks (it was the 4 letter brand)

Jeez mate - got me started on dealers and service.

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 316496

Follow Up By: andyw - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 13:53

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 13:53
Pete,

Thaks for your help!

Did Nissan cover the labour costs as well?

Regards

Andy
FollowupID: 316497

Follow Up By: Pete G - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 14:37

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 14:37
Andy

They covered the whole lot including labour.

You state that yours is a series 1 - these were the 2.8 - I think yours is a GU2. Where do you reside & where is vehicle now?.

BTW this a good site and well worth the joining fee.

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 316499

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:12

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:12
Pity you didn't know about the troubles & get the extra warranty as I did for peace of mind, Even though ours is still going strong it will be gone before it runs out.
AnswerID: 54822

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:16

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:16
Andy

try not to lese sleep as I am sure Nissan will come to the party. It is not normal wear and tear to I would not accept partial payment (I know its easy to say).

Could you please tell me what oil has been used in the motor and how may ks since the last oil change did it blow??

Sean
AnswerID: 54879

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:18

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:18
Andy,
I know just how you are feeling,my engine went at xmas(reported under fourby in Jan) but do not dispair.
My vehicle was a second hand truck bought from a Nissan dealer with 105,000 on the clock.
It was out of warranty when the engine failed at 118,000,same problem as yours melted 3+4 pistons.
Nissan completely replaced the motor,gave me a new battery,and a computer check once the motor was re installed.
No cost for anything.
I must add there was no Nissan service records with the truck when purchased,so in your case you should have no problems.
Write to the customer relations dept at head office and be prepared for some delay in response,a phone follow up is the best way to speed things up.
Do not rely on the dealerships as they cannot make the decision,Nissan has to approve replacement.
It is apparent that many early motors are now failing,Nissan is attempting to minimise the publicity on this by a motor replacement program,it is almost impossible to get any information on the engine problem from them,they will just replace the motors until the problem goes away.
Looking on the bright side you will end up with a late model donk,which appears to be Ok,on mine extra sensors are fitted to the oil galleries,and I believe a second pickup in the sump.
Obviously the failure is due to lubrication problems.
If you want any further assistance in your dealings with Nissan,please let me know.
They are a great truck,stick with it.
Regards
AnswerID: 54919

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:18

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:18
Andy,
I know just how you are feeling,my engine went at xmas(reported under fourby in Jan) but do not dispair.
My vehicle was a second hand truck bought from a Nissan dealer with 105,000 on the clock.
It was out of warranty when the engine failed at 118,000,same problem as yours melted 3+4 pistons.
Nissan completely replaced the motor,gave me a new battery,and a computer check once the motor was re installed.
No cost for anything.
I must add there was no Nissan service records with the truck when purchased,so in your case you should have no problems.
Write to the customer relations dept at head office and be prepared for some delay in response,a phone follow up is the best way to speed things up.
Do not rely on the dealerships as they cannot make the decision,Nissan has to approve replacement.
It is apparent that many early motors are now failing,Nissan is attempting to minimise the publicity on this by a motor replacement program,it is almost impossible to get any information on the engine problem from them,they will just replace the motors until the problem goes away.
Looking on the bright side you will end up with a late model donk,which appears to be Ok,on mine extra sensors are fitted to the oil galleries,and I believe a second pickup in the sump.
Obviously the failure is due to lubrication problems.
If you want any further assistance in your dealings with Nissan,please let me know.
They are a great truck,stick with it.
Regards
AnswerID: 54920

Reply By: Old Johno - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:57

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:57
Andy,
I had a similar situation to yours last November, didn't even get out of sydney with a caravan on the back.
Took it back to my origional dealer, first up they tried the B..S.. on me but that didn't work. Said they would check into it so I left. I wen't to Dept of Fair Trading Motor section, they made a couple of phone calls and surprise, surprise after a bit of procrastination they came to the party. I had a long motor, new electrical Loom & Computor put into my vehicle. It took about 3 weeks but this included a very slow dealer [I don't think their Technicians ??? had to much experience]
If you are in NSW try Dept of Fair Trading as they know all about the problem but will do nothing until you have checked Nidssan Aust out.
Also my vehicle was 6 weeks out of warranty with 60,000km

AnswerID: 54991

Sponsored Links