Advice needed for trip

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:25
ThreadID: 12170 Views:1511 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Ok... its getting close... early June I head of with SWMBO on a 8 week trip up north to escape Canberras brisk winter. Heading up inland via Moree, Mungindi, St George, Roma, Emerald and hit the coast around Mackay. Does anyone have any suggestion for a nice spot with a good van park near there. ( was toying with Airlie Beach but its reputed to be very busy). We will pass close to Carnarvon Gorge... is it best to base at Rolleston to visit the gorge and is it safe... have heard the usuall horror stories about theft from Vans and 1 chap told me they took his whole van from a van park near there. Is it worth the risk to visit i guess is my question. I would appreciate any advice. I have learned something tho... on a recent trip to Dubbo & Parkes it pays to leave your pressure hatch closed during locust plagues....what a mess...SWMBO went ballistic.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tessa_51 - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:12

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:12
Rick
As far as coastal van parks in Central Qld are concered I can't help other than to say I am told if you don't book well in advance you don't get in. That part of Queensland becomes North Melbourne for the winter months.

Carnarvon is a great place to visit. But I suggest you have to stay there to have enough time to be able to walk the gorge. Gets very hot in the middle of the day and you should try to start your walks nice and early to be back before the heat sets in. We were there early Oct one year and were leaving at 7.00am to do the walks. Staying at Rolleston would put you too far away. I believe the National Parks camping is only available during school holidays - at other times you have to camp at Takarakka, a private van park just outside the National Park. Nothing wrong with it, and the park rangers come in and give regular night time talks about the gorge. Theft from van parks is a fact of life these days. Luck of the draw I suppose. Can happen just as easily in Canberra or Sydney as it can at Bullamakanka. All you can do is take precautions.

BTW, I find pressure hatches just don't work. Have mine permanently sealed these days. One trip down the Birdsville Track was sufficient to educate me.

Tessa
AnswerID: 54914

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:30

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:30
Get onto the Caravan Industry Association (Qld) website - there are lots of Parks around Mackay/Sarina - Grasstree Beach at Sarina is right on the water, Clareview Beach (south of Mackay), Bucasia Beach at Mackay, Blacks Beach 0- there are heaps and heaps.
AnswerID: 54944

Reply By: GeeVee - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:45

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:45
Rick,

Some van park options in Mackay:

Beachfront - Beach Tourist Park (07) 4953 4876 (Far Beach)
Seawind Tourist Park (07) 4954 9334 (Black's Beach)
Bucasia Beach CP (07) 4954 6375

Central - Andergrove CP (07) 4942 4922

National - Cape Hillsborough Resort (07) 4959 0152 (About 40 Kms north)
Park

Worth a call to see if they appeal to you.

GeeVee
AnswerID: 54945

Sponsored Links