The Terrible Two's - Toilets & Tyre Pressures

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 17:46
ThreadID: 12226 Views:2134 Replies:11 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I apologise for bringing these two subjects up again but a number of complaints from travellers in the last couple of days. The amount of loo paper and human waste from Big Red to Poepples is disgusting. Cannot understand why people can't do what's right (and simple). As for tyre pressures - might as well talk to the moon. Signed: Disgusted and downhearted.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brad - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:31

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:31
Agree wholeheardtly.
We spent Easter at a 'secret spot' and there was the occasional piece of toilet paper around.
My 2 young kids reckon that setting a match to the toilet paper is the best fun of the holiday !!
AnswerID: 55182

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:51

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:51
Hi Brad, if only the BIG kids would do it also. We've had 2 weeks of the "season" in the Simpson - what will it be like in a couple of months.
FollowupID: 316889

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:53

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:53
The other point is (and maybe people don't realise this) from Big Red to the NT border is actually PRIVATE PROPERTY not NP or Conservation Park - be nice if the landholder called a halt to access to & from the Simpson. His is a working cattle station and his stockmen have to use this area also.
FollowupID: 316891

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 21:20

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 21:20
Most 'Off Road' travellers carry a shovel, are they too lazy to dig a hole in the sand and bury their human waste.
As for other waste rubbish, it is no trouble to carry some plastic bags to store your rubbish and deposit in the next available rubbish disposal tip.

All sounds like common sense to me but obviously some don't get it or simly don't care
Seems to be an attitude of 'As long as it is not in my backyard'
FollowupID: 316929

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 21:46

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 21:46
George you can dig the hole as deep as you like but the critters of the night will dig it up and thats when the paper blows all over the place hence the sorbent flowers growing off shrubs.I would sugest to burn the paper wilst in the hole
It aint a pretty sight.

All the best

Eric
FollowupID: 316944

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:04

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:04
Agreed Eric, however I pity the poor animal that is unfortunate enough to dig it up, LOL
FollowupID: 316949

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:11

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:11
Eric, just another concern with burning the paper, remember how dry everything is during the hot months.
Will people watch the burning untill it is absolutely extinguished, particularly on a windy day it would not take much to start a bush fire.
But I agree, burne the paper in the hole before backfill
FollowupID: 316952

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:54

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 18:54
Oh My and I hope we NEVER get them mixed up, sad isnt it that we ablute where we live
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 55188

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 19:25

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 19:25
Ruth,
It's a bloody shame we can't legislate against stupidity and just plain, downright bad manners.
I guess all you can do is keep trying to get the message across, but the deaf ears seem to prevail amongst the majority of travellers.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 55189

Reply By: navaraman - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:16

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:16
Slightly off topic but saw a bloke driving all over the dunes in Lincoln NP last week chasing his dog around. Needless to say dogs aren't allowed and the dunes were off limits, couldn't get his rego number unfortunately.
AnswerID: 55195

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 00:14

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 00:14
Yeah it's the few morons like that who get all the good 4WD tracks closed (well, that's part of it anyway IMHO)
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 317255

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:27

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:27
Ruth the biggest problm in the cape these days rubbish wise are the sorbent flowers we ask all our travellers to burn the paper and after a few days of seeing the lady scott flowers they soon see why.
As for rubbish there are enough spots to place the stuff and at the most you only have to carry the stuff for a couple of days.

All the best
eric
AnswerID: 55198

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 08:28

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 08:28
Showing some friends some Cape pics on Monday night and off course you end up on the sorbent flower topic as well as the diposable nappy, sanitry napkin etc as I have a pic at twin falls with a sanitry napkin in the water! Of course I mentioned the 'burn it' method but then the pro's and con's of bush fires came up. Difficult to know how to educate people as we don't want fires in the Vic high country like those recently.

Leroy
FollowupID: 317024

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:45

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:45
Leroy I have travelled to a fair few places now and always burnt the paper including the high country and am very carfull were I burn the paper.
If need be i carry it to the side of the road the paper that is and burn it there. Some times in the middle of the track.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 317166

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 21:58
Never ceases to amaze me that people will travel to beautiful remote areas and leave it a pig sty. My mate has got me into the habit of picking up any rubbish i find now.....hate to admit it but i didn't before, just shook my head in disgust, but it wasn't much better than those who left it. as for setting fire to the paper after doing the other bit its a bonus, its always nice to catch a few of the dunny budgies when you do that, bit of pay back

AnswerID: 55214

Reply By: sails - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:17

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:17
Ruth,
the majority of it comes from the fairer sex,with their urge to mark their territory at every pit stop!!. What I cant understand is why they dont put it in a bag, (or under the floor mat as my wife does) and use it to start the fire with at the end of the day .
Burning the paper off before burying your droppings is a good way to go also.

Sadly, as more and more people start to travel, it is only going to get worse. If you think of yourself as an average type person, as I do myself, and we can leave the country clean when we pass through, you quickly realise that there is alot of the lowest common denominator out there trying their hardest to bring the average down to their level. None of Australia is immune from it, and the sad thing is that the offenders probably see other peoples mess, think tut, tut ,tut; and then do the same.
Maybe some big notices in the bathrooms and laundries at the camping grounds at B'ville and Dalhousie Springs might have an effect in your area.
Sails
AnswerID: 55219

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 06:16

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 06:16
A couple of years back we tuned up to a nice beach camp in the cape and it was full of rubbish so before we set up camp Peter and I cleaned up the site 12 large garbage bags of ribbish latter we had finnished.
The rubbish was then taken back to the recognised dumping area which you have to drive past to get out of the area.
The rubbish cosisted of nappies VB cans spam and coke cans.
If any one knows the cape they know what I mean.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 317010

Reply By: John - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:11

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:11
God forbid Ruth, I thought that that sort of thing only happened in the high country.
Next thing you will be complaining about the "Offroad Trailors". LOL.

Regards
John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55244

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 08:30

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 08:30
seems to happen everywhere!

Leroy
FollowupID: 317027

Reply By: Pete G - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:47

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:47
Ruth,

Totally understand your sentiments. Perhaps it is now too easy for the whacker brigade to get to some of these places.

There is a total disregard for others inherent in their actions.

I am sure that some of these grubs love to grovel in their own excreta and rubbish.

A cabbie once told me a good trick - he had some passengers who were delivered to a spic and span mansion who made a mess in the cab. After he spent 1/2 hr cleaning the cab he put everything in a box and next day returned, knocked on the door, got inside and acccidentally dropped the contents of the box on the white shag pile carpet. He got a bit in the proverbial though as such morons are able to be so indignant of course. Great trick though.
Similarly are those who insist on driving about campsites too fast kicking up a dust when they have no purpose to be there bin the first place or are so pathetically disabled that they need to drive 50 metres to go to the toilet. Their pathetically incontinent nature obviously is a match for their impaired brain function.
Ditto those who go bush camping and need a generator to run their lights at night

Perhaps the authorities need to be a little more pro-active in providing suitable facilities in the way of toilets and rubbish receptacles or stations.
That said some of these morons seem unable to use anything (but have a drivers licence though) and one must wonder if they were ever toilet trained or taught to aim properly (both M & F (so i am told) and number one and number toos for both sexes).

At easter we were at Lake Keepit (NW NSW) and some moron(s) tried to burn down one of the facility blocks which was working hard to cater for those at the site. The rangers were quite blase about the incident - I guess they get to see all.

As to how to stop morons - well there aint any easy answers - if you confront them direct life can become uncomfortable (or even dangerous).

I go away to enjoy myself and do not like such time being spoilt.
I do not care what others think, I will report unsociable behaviour to the relevant authorities and have generally found that they will act. In remote areas obviously this cannot always be timely and I do not necessarily want people to be prosecuted, but even if they are spoken to it helps.
Part of the problem is that a lot of people just do nothing so the morons do not ever get chastised.

Yep if this behaviour continues we will surely find access being denied and who can blame the landowners.

Bottom line is folks that everone must become more pro-active in stamping out unsociable behaviour.

All it takes foir evil to triumph is for good beings to do nothing.

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55285

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:33

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:33
Well, I don't know. Just had a telephonic transmission (the phone) to tell me that my information was not correct. Not completely Private Property to the Border - it doesn't really change anything just makes Queensland National Parks liable for cleaning up more area - you still must pass through Private Property to get to the Queensland Park on the way to the Simpson Desert National Park. Just thought I'd better put this here because I'm being watched. If only Queensland National Parks would patrol and clean up, if only. Still signed: Disgusted, Downhearted and now Frustrated.
AnswerID: 55334

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 00:22

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 00:22
Hi Ruth

Can't say we have the same problem near Oodnadatta, probably because you'd need a pick or a jackhammer to dig a hole - so the 'tourerrists' have to use the facilities. They make up for it by making them into a pigsty instead!! God forbid we ever get a sealed road.
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 317256

Reply By: boycey - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 08:18

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 08:18
I remember some years back, an old timer saying that he kept a sealable plastic bucket of lime in his truck and that, once he'd burned off the paper, he would sprinkle some lime on the waste before back-filling.

Has anyone else heard of this method and do you know what benefit/damage it might do to the environment?
AnswerID: 57276

Sponsored Links