Its a small world

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 20:45
ThreadID: 12300 Views:1621 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
As you my remember a few months back a formite "uppy" was shifting to WA from the east and I offered to show him a few local tracks , well after a phone call from him we found out that we both came from the same area in New Zealand and had all the same mates and had actually meet a few times in the local pub .I have lived in Aussie for 24 years . Now to add to the small world he was standing in Opp lock in Perth the other day and got chatting to a guy that he recognised from rugby in NZ and it turned out to be a mate of mine ( now living in Exmouth) that I did my apprentiship with and had not seen since I left NZ .SPOOOOOOOOKY.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:06

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:06
Peter that is spooky. I dont think I have ever met you but who knows.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 55578

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:10

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:10
You never know I used to live in Townsville in the mid 80s
FollowupID: 317435

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:28

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:28
One could make a comment about both NZ and WA not having that many people (and more sheep) but the people in Tassie might get upset!

At the company I work for I administer computer security and set up peoples accounts. Turns out one of my sister's drinking buddies started with the corporation the other week and I was chasing him around for details. Made the connection while talking to sis but may have missed it completely otherwise.

This week my boss had 2 friends from different areas of his life that did not know each other both have babies on Monday about 7 hours apart and ended up across the hall from each other in the same hospital ward. He was able to make two visits to see new babies in one go!!

You wonder sometimes out of all the thousands of people you pass everyday in traffic and in the street how many of them you have had dealings with in the distant past or they might know someone that you know really well.

Steven
AnswerID: 55584

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:59

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:59
Baaaaarger thats spooky
FollowupID: 317461

Reply By: Member - Sparky - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:39

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:39
Peter
Know exactly hat you are saying...

My wife and I were touring through Europe and were standing in Red Square, just outside Lenin's tomb (Moscow) when were heard some Ozzie voices. We piped up after 6 weeks of no Antipodeans, and sure enough one was from Tully and her mum worked with my bro-n-laws mum, and infact, she had been given our address in London to look up to see if she could stay with us...that was all in 2000. Then 2 weeks ago we were camping in the Girraweans and she was camping next to us!!!!

A few months ago we were at a small BBQ in the south of Brizzy and got chatting with a guty who lives at the other end of our street...

It certainly is a small world!

In fact, I just noticed that there is another 'Sparky' on this forum...but spelt with an 'ie' on the end and not a member...??? Is it getting too small?

Cheers

Sparky
AnswerID: 55603

Follow Up By: uppy - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:58

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:58
Hi Sparky, I use to hang out in Russia .In both Moscow and St Pete,also in the rural area .We could have meet!.My your lada keep on the road
da sveedaneeya uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 317500

Reply By: uppy - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 23:06

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 23:06
Hi Pete,Ive just got on line,thanks for a great day .I really enjoy the afternoon with you and your wife.IM looking forward to the camping trip.I havent yet talked to Jeff but ill let you know.Josie wants to come up and see York and meet you guys in the next few weeks.Ill get a copy of the Atlas so i can mark the roads we went on.Any way thanks again .If you want to call in on Friday for a coffee ill be home all day
regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55604

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 23:31

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 23:31
Uppy can you send me a quick email so I can get your correct email address I tried to send you one but it was returned so I have written it down wrong, thanks , will catch up with you soon
FollowupID: 317466

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 07:34

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 07:34
I agree, it IS a small world!! The strangest (?) one that happened to us was way, way back in 1985 while on Holiday on the Sunshine Coast (from Sydney), we were in a Troopy on Cooloola Beach doing the Rainbow Sands Tour, there was a lady sitting opposite who was staring at my (now wife) then girlfriend. Turns out she was regular customer at the Woolworths store lay-by desk that my g/f worked at!! How bizarre that they should meet on holiday the same day, the same trip!!

One other is a good friend of mine who is a 'fridgie as well, was driving away from a building we both do work at. There is several different options of streets to access this building, and we both take various routes to and from as we see fit. So recently, we passed each other, he leaving, me arriving, on the same street at the same time. (Neither of us knew the other would be there, so we went looking for each other)

AnswerID: 55615

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 07:47

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 07:47
Kiwis....2 bob a dozen! hehehe

ps some of my best mates are Kiwi! ..Lived their for 18 months
AnswerID: 55617

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:50

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:50
I've had a similar experience, having someone come up to me in a coffee shop on the Gold Coast and say "Is your name Gary Campbell?" Turns out it was a school friend from primary school in Victoria, who was on a short business trip down from Cairns. Happened about 5 yrs ago when I was 38 yrs old........SPOOKY and what a memory for faces, even after 27 yrs!
AnswerID: 55625

Reply By: uppy - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:22

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:22
Hi Pete my e-mail is terryupston@yahoo.com.au
regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55632

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 15:19

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 15:19
Peter,
Just goes to show.....you can run, but you can't hide...

AnswerID: 55658

Reply By: Bilbo - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:50

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:50
I met a guy in the supermarket the other day and helped him pick up his shopping after the basket broke. We spoke fer about 5 minutes afterwards and it suddenly dawned on me that I'd never met him before and I'd left the over on at home ;)

Bilbo
AnswerID: 55713

Sponsored Links