Clubs for Soft Roaders

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 13:09
ThreadID: 12353 Views:4547 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Have just purchased a Santa Fe (Hyundai). I was wondering whether there was a club for this type (soft roader) of cars in WA.
If there is not a club is anyone interested in forming one. Main interest would be just getting away for weekends. Doing some 4wd on made tracks and beach work. Not heavy 4wd.

Thanks
Baz

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:58

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:58
You will find most 'normal' clubs will accomodate any car, shiat even subarus!

Check out some of the local clubs in your area, and see what they say

I know the SYdney Nissan club had a few Kia's in there so anything is possible
AnswerID: 55873

Follow Up By: baz - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:06

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:06
Thanks for the reply
I have contacted some ‘normal clubs’ in Perth. The main problem is the Santa Fe (& other soft roaders) can’t be fitted with front recovery points. Something to do with the construction methods. Recovery points on a vehicle are required for membership.

I thought that a club for soft roaders would be the best way to go as we would be in the same position.

Baz
FollowupID: 317749

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:06

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:06
"You will find most Subaru Clubs will accomodate any car, shiat even Nissans!!!"

Except the WA Subaru Club - 'normal' cars can't hack the destinations they go to!
FollowupID: 317750

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:07

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:07
I went to the SA Toyota Landcruiser Club and they accepted me with a PRADO!!!

Cheers

Steven
FollowupID: 317774

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:16

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:16
Gee they will take anyone.

and the olds had a scooby, it was a genuine imported POS.

YMMV
FollowupID: 317800

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:50

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:50
What about the Royal Automobile Club (hee, hee)
AnswerID: 55933

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:42

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:42
Put a towbar on the rear - that will solve your rear recovery point problem. If it is a Hayman Reece type, take the coupling off and use the pin to hold the snatch strap in the hole. I have now opened a can of worms that has been done to death before on this forum, sorry. If it is not a Hayman Reece type, take the tow ball off and replace it with a rated shackle.

Who knows about the front but a 4wd workshop should be able to help. It is important to have correctly rated recovery points front and rear when off road which is why most clubs do not want to know you.
AnswerID: 56029

Follow Up By: baz - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:40

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:40
Thanks for the info

Yes I have a Reece type tow bar that has been modified to take a snatch strap.
ARB has had a look at the front, but they say that even if were possible to fit recovery points to the front they would not certify them.

This is why I am looking at starting a club for soft roaders. A club that should not take members to places that would require (I hope) extreme extractions

Thanks again

Baz
FollowupID: 317891

Reply By: stevesub - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:04

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:04
Sorry top hear that as I think that there is a need out there for a soft offroader club. The soft offroaders are more capable than most people realise but safety has to also be a consideration. If a soft offroader gets stuck and frontways out is the only way, what are you gong to do if you have no recovery point. It is no use saying that you are going on easy tracks. Easy tracks have a habit of turning meduim or hard at times, especially if it starts raining or you have not been down them before.

I helped recover a BMW car the other day that had run off a sealed road into a ditch. it had no recovery points or even tie down points so I nearly walked away from it but managed to convince enough bystanders to push it out.

We have done a lot of off roading in our Freelander and have amazed plenty of people as to what it is capable of. We now don't use it much off road now as we have a Troopy. The Freelander is lucky enough to have a rated towing eyes front and rear and they have had plenlty of use, even on so called easy runs that have turned out to be a bit harder than we thought.
AnswerID: 56166

Sponsored Links