home again

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:13
ThreadID: 12379 Views:2336 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are home again after 5 weeks on the road. We covered 9200 km, general route was from Waikerie (home), Wentworth, Menindee Lakes, Wilcannia, Cobar, Bourke, Lightning Ridge, St George, Toowoomba, Brisbane, then followed the coast right through to Cairns. From Cairns through the Daintree, Bloomfield track to Cooktown, to Endeavour Falls, Lakeland, Laura, Hann River back to Cairns via Mareeba. Cairns to Atherton, Hughenden, Winton, Long Reach, Windorah to the "dig tree" via Arrabury, to Innaminka, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, Broken Hill, Burra, and back home.
A few photos on the link below - not good photographers!
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vin_dowd/my_photos
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:03

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:03
Nothing wrong with those photos Vin. Where did you stay in Burra? We always stay at the Burra Hotel in the town square. At $20 a head its great. We where there on Good Friday night.
AnswerID: 55976

Follow Up By: vin57 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:57

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:57
Bob
We did not stay at burra, the list of places was just the route we took. However we did only stay one night in a motel the entire trip, and that was at Atherton. The rest of the time we camped in caravan parks, National parks or on the side of back roads.
FollowupID: 317858

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:53

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:53
Hi Vin,

I'm interested in your trip through Arrabury to Cameron Corner as I'm looking to doing something similar in May. Are there any camping places around Arrabury for an overnight rest? Did you go down the Boar track to Cameron Corner & if so what was it like.

Thanks in advance,

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 55998

Follow Up By: vin57 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 13:07

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 13:07
Hi John,
no, we went via Innamincka and the new Strzelecki track past Moomba, then across from Merty Merty to Cameron Corner. Our map says the bore track is emergency use only. We camped between Arrabury and Haddon Corner turn-off, off the side of the road along a creek. There are several creeks along there that made good camp spots, however, there was no firewood to be found so you will need to cart your own wood if you want a camp-fire.
Vin
FollowupID: 317859

Follow Up By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:05

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:05
Thanks Vin, I'm looking at a couple of different options & I'll wait till closer to the time before I decide which way I'll go.

John

2. East of Cameron Cnr

FollowupID: 317862

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:53

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:53
Hi Vin,

I'm interested in your trip through Arrabury to Cameron Corner as I'm looking to doing something similar in May. Are there any camping places around Arrabury for an overnight rest? Did you go down the Boar track to Cameron Corner & if so what was it like.

Thanks in advance,

John

2. East of Cameron Cnr

AnswerID: 55999

Reply By: SJF - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:19

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:19
Photos look good
Im going up to Karumba then across to cooktown in July
Id like to sneak up into lakefield for a quick look
Have you got any ideas or suggestions for around cooktown and above, also your route down to Mareeba.

Last year i stayed at Burra creek gorge in SA
Brilliant, donation campground, near great historic town of Burra plenty of malee stumps for quiet camfire
AnswerID: 57315

Sponsored Links