planning trip gladstone qld--west aus

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:33
ThreadID: 12392 Views:1765 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
missus and i are trying to plan a trip to west aus. what we looking at is a toyota 4 wheel drive maybe dual cab or 80 series wagon,with a tinny on top and pulling a pop top or a camper trailer. what we are looking for is any experiences and recomends would be very much apprec. depending on what time of year we go is to weather we go top or bottom way.any other suggestions would be great.hope to spend a couple of years in west aus.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tessa_51 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:08

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:08
Hi gforse
traditionally the way to go is over the top. Get away in the next couple of months and the trip over the top should be fine. Depends on how long you want to take to get there. Just try not to be still in the Northern half of the country after about September - heat and wet!. The only real argument I've been able to find against going the other way is the headwinds across SA and the Nullabor. Have spoken to people who've done that trip in rigs similar to what you're talking about and they have described long portions of the trip in 3rd gear because of the headwinds. I experienced those winds going from Port Augusta to Woomera and it was a real battle.

By the way, can't recommend strongly enough that you look at buying a diesel for the trip. Any extra paid in purchase price will be very quickly recouped in fuel savings with a heavy rig like that!

Tessa
AnswerID: 56089

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 19:19

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 19:19
first off get ready to enjoy your trip. from east to west across the top is good - the easterlies have already commenced in the pilbara and they only get stronger and more frequent throughout the whole north. most closed roads will be open by mid may so no problems. grading has commenced and will continue until end of oct - just be patient. Try for the festivals/race meetings - good things to do in the areas - or good to avoid if you don't want crowds. most caravan parks are either booked out or close to it already for the 'popular' times especially broome. either book or take your chances. too many natural sites to see - for something different try the duncan hwy. not as many tourists and good sites - marella gorge - an oasis. also victoria river nat. park - again not many visitors and really great place - just beware of the handbags. too many places and too big an area - leave heaps of time. also if this a working holiday there is usually plenty of work abvailable if you are not too fussy. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 56256

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)