Forwarding RUGS notice

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 19:41
ThreadID: 12398 Views:1276 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
WOMBAT FOREST ASSEMBLY

May 1st, 2004

Daylesford Secondary College (Smith Street, Daylesford)

URGENT CALL TO ACTION FOR ALL RECREATIONAL USER GROUPS!!
(By the Recreational Users Working Group)

What’s it all about?

Community Forest Management is a pilot program initiated by the State Government to involve the community in forest management. A potentially good thing. CFM, itself, IS NOT A THREAT to recreational users of the forest. It is an opportunity for anyone interested to make a positive and constructive contribution to the sustainability and health of the forest, whilst ensuring a range of time-honoured recreational activities, pursuits and commercial projects can continue to be undertaken – within sustainable parameters – for the good of all. CFM, itself, has great potential for shared outcomes to be realised. It presents no threat to recreational users – if recreational users proactively participate in CFM.

So why all the fuss then? Crucial deadlines are nearing!

Recreational Users, as a huge sector in the broader community, have not been proactively and genuinely included in the Wombat CFM process thus far. Neither have they been overtly excluded from the process, but the result is the same – WE’VE HAD NO SAY IN IT, UNTIL VERY RECENTLY. Whose fault that is, is irrelevant now. What happens from here on is what really counts! RUG has been very active representing your interests! We now have some say. But we need your active involvement and personal support on May 1st - or it has all been for nought.

Crucial decisions are being made on May 1st and June 19th that will set in place the machinery of this CFM process – it will be formalised. Set in concrete. We need to ensure we have our place in this process. We need to ensure that it is fair for all recreational users – and that frameworks up for vote will ensure that our ongoing say in CFM is assured. CFM has great potential to break the prevailing culture within bureaucracies that have proved to be antagonistic and non-consultative for many recreational users in the past. BUT CFM ALSO HAS POTENTIAL TO BE HIJACKED BY THE GREENS WHO HAVE MADE NO SECRET OF THE FACT THAT THEIR AGENDA DOES NOT INCLUDE US. THEY HAVE BEEN PART OF THIS PROCESS FROM INCEPTION – WE HAVE NOT. That has changed – and we’ve almost caught up, but we’re not there yet. We are now seriously involved in the process – but to ensure that this continues strongly and fairly, WE NEED ALL RECREATIONAL USERS AT DAYLESFORD ON MAY 1ST TO VOTE ON KEY PROPOSALS. YOU MUST HELP US TO ENSURE THE BEST OUTCOME. WE NEED VOTES!

WE CANNOT EMPHASISE STRONGLY ENOUGH THE NEED FOR YOUR VOTE!!
PLEASE GET AS MANY PEOPLE TO DAYLESFORD AS YOU CAN. THIS IS A CRUCIAL DAY. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO DISENFRANCHISE OURSELVES.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fay D Away (Vic) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:10

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:10
Joe or whoever

will there be some sort of vote on the first of May?
will an individual be allowed a counting vote?
what would an individual be voting for?
WHAT is June 19th about?

ps I will be at the meeting (because there is not alot of real information available)

I vote my way, on my feet (if i'm allowed a vote)

Bill
AnswerID: 56059

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:49

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:49
Bill you have to be there early to register to vote, about 8.00, 8.30am, i was talking to some of the guys at Wombat State Forest on the weekend and thats what they told me, good luck fella's, dont let do to you what they did to us.

Baz.
FollowupID: 317904

Follow Up By: John - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:12

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:12
Hi Bill
Iif you drop me an email to john@westerndiving.com.au I will send you the pre registration form and some other details.

You should check and register yourself on the Rural Users group at Yahoo for constant updates and detail.

This issue is serious and as many votes to ensure proper representation on the managment committee occurs or as stated we run a real risk of being locked out by the greenies.

Regards
John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 317922

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:22

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:22
goodday john
are these pre registration forms available on the net or were they handed out by the clubs

steve
FollowupID: 318020

Follow Up By: Joe - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 20:51

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 20:51
Bill,
I emailed your 4 questions to Milton Oliver at RUGS and the 4 replies are below...

Answers ...

Yes, we will have advice on how to vote - we're still waiting on the final versions of the notices of motion.

Yes, only individuals can vote, - but you must register to vote ensuring that you answer all boxes correctly, especially the one about whether or not you want to become a member of the new association - please indicate 'yes'.

We'll let you know the final motions asap.

June 19th is when the new Council of Stewards are elected - it's even more crucial to be at that meeting.

There is heaps of information, try www.fwdvictoria.org or www.wombatforest.org

See you there!

Milton Oliver
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 8:32 PM
FollowupID: 318032

Reply By: Harry - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:35

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:35
G,daye Bill,
If you like to camp in State Forests where you like, drive the existing tracks and enjoy the High country then BE AT DAYLESFORD on May 1st.
Did you know they have locked up the Otways just recently?
Wombat will be a model for the rest of the state.
We don't need to go the way they locked up NSW, why do you think they come down to our High country for Xmas and Easter, because the Greenies locked them out.
You would be voting for motions to do with forming the committee.We want to be a strong part of that committee.
WE all need to be there, including Orienteers,mountain bikers, horse riders,bee-keepers,timber industry,motor-bike tourers,any recreational users of the bush that we know.
Numbers will count and you will need to register yourself so you can get a voting card. forms will be available on site.
Register before 10am and as early as 9am. This will be an orderly meeting not a slinging shouting match, bring your friends.
Just remember to register otherwise no vote.
Daylesford Secondary college Smith St.
AnswerID: 56063

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:50

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:50
Also carpooling.. with 1000's or shooters, 4wd, greenies, fishos bush walkers, bike riders, mountain bike riders etc etc etc... its going to be chaos if you are there after bout 8am I would guess...
AnswerID: 56083

Follow Up By: Member - Fay D Away (Vic) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:09

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:09
I hope I don't sleep in although in the past when I camp at MT Franklin (10 minutes to Dalesford) we have slept till 10.30 as it's so peacefull in the mornings after a long night in front of a fire. (we bring our own firewood)

Bill
FollowupID: 317921

Reply By: Jason - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:13

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:13
Hi Joe,
Is there any other way of showing support ie l cant make it this Saturday but would be more than happy to send these people an email or even by giving them a call to show my support, the Wombat Sate Park is a great place to visit and take the family, it is easy access from the city and should be there for everyone to share and use in what ever activity you are interested in.
l like many other's have enjoyed countless trips to this Beautiful place on our door steps and it would be a disaster if families could not use this Park for Camping, 4wd, fossicking, bushwalking, fishing etc etc.
l can only hope the right decision is made.

Regards

Jason
AnswerID: 56127

Follow Up By: Joe - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 20:58

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 20:58
Hi Jason,
To vote people have to attend and register to vote...no proxy unfortunately.

You can keep up to date by joining Rugs at www.groups.yahoo.com.group/RUGvictoria

www.fwdvictoria.org
www.wombatforest.org

Regards
JOe
FollowupID: 318033

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 21:27

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 21:27
Steve,
Registration forms are at www.yahoo.com/group/RUGvictoria

From what I have read on RUGS it will be necessary to exchange a registration form for a how to vote card on the morning.

Further info
wwwfwdvictoria.org

Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 56277

Sponsored Links