An "old chestnut"

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2004 at 19:35
ThreadID: 12574 Views:1670 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.........

Have read heaps of threads about the "insurance question" but none that seem to satisfy my query.

I have just fitted new suspension to Series 80 LC, which has lifted the vehicle 40-50 mm. According to CGU, with whom we are currently insured, we are NO longer insured! (Max lift = 25mm). AAMI "told me so" too!!!! RACV will cope with us but their premium quote was $839, which is TWICE our current premium. Have just e-mailed a 4WD insurance mob I found on the web but I'm interested in anyone's feedback re the lifting scenario. Currently, I'm on: No claims. Rating 1. 60% no claim bonus.

Which insurance company will cope with the little lift and not peanlise me to the poor house??

Thanks in anticipation.
Tigger
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:08

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:08
Most of the major players will shun you.. or you will be poor.

Aus4wd insurance were 2ice as much for my car,
TCIS if yor in a club have some plans with CGU that allow for lifts (work that out), most do allow 50mm lifts, or did... try having 5inch lift, 34's, turbo, and body lift etc.

Try Wesfarmers(yes!) they were cheap but took too long with insurance paperwork for me.

other is unique car insurance.
AnswerID: 57064

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:32

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:32
I've been using TCIS for a few years now. Up til recently they had me using CGU. However, when my policy came up for renewal in March, they wrote and said Allianz was now a better option for my 2000 GU. They sent me a proposal form to fill out and send back to them. At about the same time there was an article in 4WD Monthly advising of the need to list every conceivable accessory/improvement to the vehicle, otherwise, in the event of a total write-off, they could keep anything not listed on the policy, but not pay you out for it. That led me to a list about twice as long as the one shown in my RIG DETAILS section of this forum and amounted to over $26,000-.
After the dust settled I got a call from TCIS to say that Allianz would not insure me because I'd listed a 5" lift at the back (only 4" at the front). They would have been happy with 4" all round.
It so happened that another enquiry or thread on this forum around the same time led me to go and measure the "actual" height above standard of my vehicle. In the carpark where I work there is a bog standard, near new, Patrol parked every day. I measured the distances from wheel arch to bottom of rim on both and mine is only 3" higher front and back. I told the TCIS bloke and he changed it for me and Allianz have now insured the truck. I think the premium is about $80- per month (but living in country SA has a lot to do with this I think). The reason the vehicle doesn't sit as high as the Lovell's springs are supposed to make it is, ironically, due to the fact it weighs 3tonne (& that's before I load it up for a trip). I know, I know....the insurance company will probably knock me back for exceeding GVM anyway. What the!!!!???? You can't beat em and I'll be buggared if I'm gunna settle for driving a stocker.LOL
Insurance companies, eh.....ya gotta luv em....
Cheers,
FollowupID: 318822

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:26

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:26
Before our last trip I contacted our insurer to advise of a few changes, as soon as I said 2" lift, she said "We'll only insure a 1" lift". And then added "You have a week to find new insurance".

I spend the whole night and next morning getting online quotes, and just before the ring around started in the morning, the phone rang. "I've been trying to get hold of you all morning. I hope I'm not too late, but the underwriter has agreed to cover your vehicle." Very relieved and made sure that I received it all in writing.

Our premium is $828, preferrable to finding the money to replace the vehicle if something happens to it!

AnswerID: 57066

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:27

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:27
had 80 series til last year and had insured with allianz-from memory were allowed 60mm total lift including tyre lift.-doesnt really do much good if have 50mm lift and 285/75/16. not sure what their current lift max is
AnswerID: 57068

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 08:48

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 08:48
G'Day tigger

australian 4wd insurance (a melbourne mob) will insure the vehicle regardless of mods but ofcourse you need to tell them about it.I've been with them for 3 years (i'm sydney based) no sweat so far. BUT THEN I HAVEN'T CLAIMED EITHER.

regards jeff
AnswerID: 57124

Reply By: colin - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:09

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:09
Hi Tigger, i have a 92 GQ diesal with a 50mm lift and a super charger, i am insured with AAMI. I have an agreed value of $23,000, rating one, and an excess of $350 and hire car and the premium is only $454. I have just put a claim in and no problems they didnt even have the assor see the car. I can also go on any off road track or farm as long as i have the correct permits and am leagilly allowed to be there. Col
AnswerID: 57145

Follow Up By: Tigger - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 20:51

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 20:51
Amazing. Have been in contact with AAMI today and won't touch me with a lift more than one inch. Am rating 1 and have 60% no claim with current insurertoo - doesn't seem to matter! Best I look like getting is a policy with premium twice the current one. i.e. $800 odd versus $416.
$*$&$$##$%#&'s!!!
FollowupID: 318957

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:15

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:15
Hi Tigger, just rang AAMI to varify my policy, the only reason they wont insure a 2 inch lift is if the policy holder or a nominated driver is under 25 yrs,as they class this modification a performance modification, or if the vehicle is not up QLD transport specs. Col
AnswerID: 57291

Follow Up By: Tigger - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:44

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:44
Colin,

I appreciate your following up here. In fact, before I read your latest note, I'd actually gone back to them myself.

Have now changed to AAMI because the bloke that I spoke with today reckoned all was OK "as long as the lift was legal".....I'm assuming a 40mm lift is legal!!! So, CGU have lost my home insurance and car insurances and it's AAMI, here we go! Have actually got a CHEAPER deal all round, which I did NOT expect when I initially heard about CGU giving me the *#@% and discovered replacement premiums woths $800-900.

I must say that I really do thank you for your follow-up note here, Colin. Because you'd mentioned the AAMI thing and that you'd also had a claim, I thought it was definitely worth another go. CGU didn't come to the party on try #2!

So have a "virtual beer" on me, Colin. Thanks.

Tigger
FollowupID: 319097

Sponsored Links