Update on Opposite Lock (Blacktown NSW) Liquidation

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 10:17
ThreadID: 12623 Views:2501 Replies:4 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Dropping a note to give everyone an update.

I understand there are approx 90 creditors.

I was at the premises this morning withe the owner & liquidator and collected my trailer. Another couple were there also picking up a trailer they were getting worked on also.

All the parts for my water tank installation were there, so I only lost out on the labour for the installation.

The owner was apologetic (means nothing as far as I am concerned.)

The liquidator was a decent chap.

Thanks

TonyG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 10:41

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 10:41
Tony,
I'm glad you got your trailer and parts back okay. I understand your sentiments about the owner's apolgetic nature meaning nothing to you. However, in my 33 years of experience in the finance industry, it is in no-one's interest to go broke (with the possible exception of the liquidator who normally comes out quite well rewarded). The bloke wouldn't have set-out to do so.
Mostly you'll find the bloke went in too deep to stock his shop up with goodies and over-committed himself. Sure, a lot them don't do themselves any favours by being rude and arrorgant (or employing staff who think they know everything and treat customers like idiots).
Unless he was a total rip-off merchant, I must say I feel a fair bit of empathy for this bloke. He is probably a family man who has now lost everything (including his credibility).
By the same token, I am a bit surprised the parent franchise company did not step in to assist in any way (maybe they did and it still went pear-shaped??). It does not do their name any good either to have one of their shops go broke.
Just my 2 cents worth.
AnswerID: 57287

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:02

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:02
I agree Roachie. Same applies to farms etc- people just trying to get by in a complex world. The banks always do very well out of these situations. I bet the bank didn't miss out and probably triggered the collapse.
FollowupID: 319031

Follow Up By: Member - TonyG (NSW) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:02

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:02
Hi Roachie,

Your point is weel made.

I must say the owner did not look too enthused about life.

I suppose it would be very difficult to have to face the reality that your business falied, then have to face customers who have been let down.

Thanks

TonyG
FollowupID: 319047

Follow Up By: flappan - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:09

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:09
Bob , incorrect mate.

That is or at least was , what I did for a living.

I can assure you , there are 2 sides to every story , and not to believe EVERYTHING the shows like ACA and Today Tonight report.

Its a long drawn out process , and doesn't happen overnight.

Sure , the Banks deserve a kick up the butt for a lot of things , and maybe this as well , but I can safely say , the Banks aren't always the problem in these matters.
FollowupID: 319048

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:10

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:10
G'day Flappan,
Of course you are correct about the TV shows.....they only ever show one side of the story in those sort of cases. The banks are prevented from telling their side of the story due to customer confidentiality etc. Being a banker (that's with a "b" not a "w" LOL), I can attest to how long it takes before a bank can take recovery action against an errant customer. Letters advising of missed repayment is the first thing. 3 months later we are allowed to issue a formal Letter Of Demand. Then we have to wait for 60 days before we can issue a "Notice Of Default". The funny thing is that at about this stage, we also have to advise the customer that it would be in their best interest to seek legal advice and bring their matter to the Department Of Consumer Affairs etc if they think the Bank has not been fair towards them.
Then the Bank has to wait for a further lengthy period before they can issue a notice of intention to take possession of any security it may have a mortgage over etc. It just goes on and on.
I remember one case I was involved in south of Cooma several years ago. A businessman had taken off to Hong Kong....done a runner. He was not in the country to "defend" himself. Even so, with no arguments from his side, it still took the bank 18 months to go through all the hassle and legal rubbish before his property could be siezed and auctioned to recover the debt. The legal fees and additional interest accrued over that period meant that there was hardly enough to clear the bank debts, let alone any other creditors.
What I meant by my reply, above, was that in my experience, nobody wakes up one morning as says...."Jeez I hate the bank, I think I'll just go broke to spite them". Most people who go broke have good intentions but poor management skills.
FollowupID: 319059

Follow Up By: flappan - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:23

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:23
I don't know about the OL Franchise arrangements , but I have seen a number of others that have been the cause of a business going broke.

They have to keep a certain level of stock , contribute a certain amount of money for advertising etc. If they cant move what they have . . . they go broke , with the Parent Company really being the one who forced the franchisee to go broke. ( I think that Pedders Story is an example of that . . . to a degree anyway).
FollowupID: 319060

Follow Up By: Walter Here - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:57

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:57
I just do not like the prices they charge at these franchised outlets or the poor advice and knowledge they give.
I find dealing with little businesses in the country I get a better deal and more importantly better advice. If I never darkened the door step or ARB TM Pedders and other franchised outlets it would not bother me. They are just to damned expensive for everything.
FollowupID: 319086

Follow Up By: Walter Here - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:02

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:02
Quote for axillary battery setup at ARB $1200
Local welder in Lockhart (rural NSW) and local Mitsi dealer ended up paying $520. Nothing has failed and I have power when I need it. I think the thing they fitted was a Redarc something to make sure the main battery did not go flat. 15 months later still going great. $700 difference is massive.
FollowupID: 319089

Follow Up By: rolande- Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:38

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:38
Walter,
Doesn't always work that way either, I fitted my own dual battery system, using a REDARC isolator, an ARB battery tray and a PIRAHNA fuse block, plus some help from others off this, and other forums. This worked out the most cost effective for me, and I haven't passed $250 yet.
Rolande
FollowupID: 319123

Follow Up By: Walter Here - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:53

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:53
Rolande that price included a red yankee battery for $200. I am not complaining. System works great and I am happy little chappie. $700 big bucks is better in my wallet than ripoff ARB
FollowupID: 319292

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:12

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:12
Walter,
No criticism meant, just saying that if you take the best of what they have to offer you can often end up with the same result for much less. i agree with some prices of A%B stuff, but the battery tray I bought is well made, well priced and came with all fitting instructions and hardware. It saves having to reinvent the wheel. Glad your setup suits you, as mine will suit me. Everyone happy
Rolande
FollowupID: 319329

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:12

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:12
Walter,
No criticism meant, just saying that if you take the best of what they have to offer you can often end up with the same result for much less. i agree with some prices of A%B stuff, but the battery tray I bought is well made, well priced and came with all fitting instructions and hardware. It saves having to reinvent the wheel. Glad your setup suits you, as mine will suit me. Everyone happy
Rolande
FollowupID: 319330

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:33

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:33
Tony,
Glad you got your trailer back. Spoke to the other franchisee in Sydney today, he has lost out as well, delivered 14 bullbars to Blacktown last week, no payment, no bullbars - all gone. Said customers had been in contact with him and were all being very reasonable, may be worth speaking to if not too far away from you. He is sending out replacement parts that I ordered, previous set lost by IPEC!
Rolande
AnswerID: 57378

Reply By: Seto - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:58

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:58
The other Franchisee in Sydney has been very good by all reports trying to help out those caught by the demise of the Blacktown outlet. Mate of mine was quoted a cheaper price than originally quoted for some parts by Blacktown, so where he thought he had lost his $200 deposit he is now only $80 out of pocket. It says a lot for the other franchisee who has no responsibility to assist.

David.
AnswerID: 57407

Follow Up By: Member - TonyG (NSW) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 08:54

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 08:54
Hi Seto,

Good to hear.

I will talk to them also this week about completing my water tank installation.

TonyG
FollowupID: 319156

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:08

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:08
David / Tony,
Don't forget to mention you read it on ExploreOZ. If enough mention then we might get Ian to advertise, may even get discount???
Rolande
FollowupID: 319328

Reply By: Member - Bear - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:21

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:21
The guys at OP Brookvale have been great and i cannot say enougth about how helpful they have been.

They have been going out of there way to help and I have found them to be a great deal more informed that Blacktown.

The main guy is Ian and the other I think is james.
AnswerID: 57608

Sponsored Links