Oztent arrived - finally

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 00:14
ThreadID: 12771 Views:2252 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Finally got my new Oztent RV3. Cost too much but it is roomy and easy to put up, so I'm happy with it. Now have to wait until I'm not on call so I can go and try it out. The kids have it up in the back yard - took 30 sec just like the ads said (amazing!!). A lot better than our old tent that took 30 mins to put up. Now I can enjoy camping again!

Cheers
John

Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 06:31

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 06:31
They are a good tent you seem pretty happy so far so there cost shouldnt matter because your happy.
I mucked around with tents and camping gear for years trying get a bargin but ended up spending a heap trying to save money now I buy the best first time.

Happy camping
Eric
AnswerID: 58112

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 07:46

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 07:46
Jiana, have had ours some months now an RV4 to clip on to the rook of our 'tool box' and it is teriffic as it can be manoevered to position and tightened up all as a unit.

Friends bought an RV3 just recently having seen the speed and ease of ours to set up. They bought the side sheeets too, where we had ours tailored. The delivery speed after order is fantastic too. The carry bag is a bit of a lump until we set up a special carry position for ours, it seemed in the way.

I reckon we can have ours out of the bag and connected after erection in under two minutes, or after three from stopping if the site is good.
AnswerID: 58114

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 08:49

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 08:49
We have had ours for about 6 years and have half worn it out to the point where we ordered a new one to get show savings the other month. Keep the old one in good nick for the grandkids to go 4wd with nan and pop.
Can pull onto a good site and be in bed in 5 minutes if need be. I have hooks welded to roof rack and the awning hooks on and pull tent back and wahlah done, best thing since sliced bread.
AnswerID: 58122

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:57

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:57
And what was the best thing before sliced bread?
FollowupID: 319880

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:12

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:12
Well you would probably have to say sex but that has cost an arm and a leg over the years with 3 offspring and is still costing. ( Less often , bigger amounts, dont we just love em!! ) LOLOL
FollowupID: 319884

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:25

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:25
des thanks for answering my question with a mem msg i must have missed somthing as the post dissappeared
steve
FollowupID: 319927

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:10

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:10
How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
AnswerID: 58140

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:59

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:59
I got the show special with one extra side panel and the front panel and a floor saver (ground sheet) plus freight for $1100. The base tent (RV3 size) is $899.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

FollowupID: 319881

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:50

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:50
I hadn't heard of one before now so i had a look. They are really impressive, I wouldn't mind one for when just me and my son go away. Can you tell me how long they take to put away, and how waterproof is the bag they store in, as I'd have to keep it on the roofrack.
AnswerID: 58143

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:04

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:04
Hi

Just as quick to pack up as they are to put up. The carry bag is heavy duty canvas/poly and I haven't checked it for waterproofing. Looking at it, I'd say it's shower proof but you wouldn't want to dunk it in the river (that would be a problem if it was on the roof-rack and you dunked it!!)
If it ever rains, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
John
Oodnadatta

FollowupID: 319883

Follow Up By: halfinch - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 17:09

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 17:09
Friends of mine have one for the kids when their touring.(small caravan).They keep thiers in a length of pvc pipe with end caps that is bolted to the back of the van.

halfinch
FollowupID: 319902

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:04

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:04
Our new RV-3 ordred in Feb, show special $100 off was $799.
If you wait for a 4wd or camping show and go to oztent site they are nearly always discounted, If you just wish to puchase one, deal direct with oztent in Sydney as the price seems to inflate through dealers. We have had several dealings with them and are good to deal with. Phone no. 02-9757 4466
They are very waterproof but not the bag. You can buy a fibreglass cocoon to store them in on roof rack. We have never found water a problem as they dont get saturated when travelling in the rain as the tent has a vinyl floor which is on the outside when rolled up and it drys out at night when you put it up again.
AnswerID: 58144

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:12

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:12
Rays Outdoors had them at the Caravan and Camping Show in Melbourne too folks. I guess they may have them on the floor in some shops. The beauty of ordering direst is they land them on your doowstep two days later at the advertised price. The local friends were amazed, Ordered Monday courier Wednesday morning!

If you have extra panels made, you will have to buy zippers from them at $10 each or buy them direct. having them taylored was twice the price for a little more advantage in out case.

I don't carry mine outside, its inside the box on slings under the roof - straps and hooks with cam-locks.

Its amazing how quickly you can get the shelter up. Have a lightweight fly from Rays that takes all the time..........
AnswerID: 58147

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:25

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:25
I've had an oztent for over 4 years - best piece of camping kit I have ever bought..easy up and easy down. Mine has run through many heavy tropical downpours and no water in the bag. I do, however, put it on the roof rack with the zip facing down and to the rear. No dust gets in that way either. When I pull up for the night I often just put the four base pegs in and stand the frame up. When staying for longer peg the frame and fly out as well. Ooooooodles of room for me and she who must be obeyed. I also have the oztent kitchen that can fit under the awining or to the front or side of the awning - great in the Vic High Country during the summer when the flies are super thick.
I'd rate the oztent, the various accessories and the service from the Wetherill Park (Sydney) head office as 9.99 out of 10 - I only take 0.01 off the score because Bo Derek was the only real 10.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 58148

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 15:04

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 15:04
Is the new oztent the one that doesn't have a seperate fly, as the material used doesn't need one ??? The RV or something like that ???

Just wondering as i want to place one on my wish list for the future.
How much internal height is there in the different sizes, as the little lady wants one she can stand up in easily , she is 6 foot, i am 6ft2 .

I think i would like the tent with the 2 side panels, and back the jack up to the opening.. I know they ain't cheap, but they look fantastic..

Thanks all
AnswerID: 58159

Follow Up By: robb - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 17:51

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 17:51
I have an rv-2, there is a seperate fly available, they suggest it for extreme cold or severe wet weather... Hope this helps... Cheers
FollowupID: 319906

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:16

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:16
Internal height is 6ft at the front sloping down to 4ft 6in at the rear. Sounds low but it feels really roomy inside. To get more height you'd have to go for one of the centre-pole tents like the Tanami Tourer (I think that's right), but I found the pole to be a real pain in the #@!*.

The addition of side panels is a great investement, and then tent can then be an extension of the inside of the vehicle. I think that's what Pesty has got with the hooks on the roof rack to hook the tent awning onto. I'll do the same when I find a decent roofrack that I can afford!!

Cheers
John
Oodnadatta

FollowupID: 319941

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:18

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:18
Hey Jiarna - the most affordable roof rack I found was the Tradesman Oval - got a full size one with mesh floor and perspex wind deflector for the GU for $640 but I understand that they have gone up to $800 approx now - still a lot cheaper than ARB though and just as good if not better quality. Also when I bought mine Pride Auto fitted it for nothing whereas ARB wanted an additional $40 for this service.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 319981

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 10:33

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 10:33
grouse, thanks john. BTW last time i was over in adelaide i saw a place called 'roof rack world' ( i think) on main north road up before gepps cross (west side) . had a look , they have all sorts of different racks and options, from basic to tradesmans quality, and know their stuff. Prices seemed pretty good as well.. Thanks again All.
FollowupID: 319992

Sponsored Links