Travel times

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 16:50
ThreadID: 12842 Views:1691 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guy's

Need more help. Planning a trip to Ayres Rock and Simpson desert in June, having not ventured there before we are not sure about travel times on outback tracks.

Question: Is it possible to travel from:
1/ Innamica to Coongie Lakes and back to Camerons Cnr in 1 day?
2/ Camerons Cnr to Marree in 1 day?
3/ Marree to Coober Pedy in 1 day?
4/ Ayres Rock to Chambers Pillar in a day?
5/Chambers Pillarto Dalhousie in a day?

Any other advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:37

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:37
IMO...........
1. Yes, but you'd be mad to do it....wasting so much opportunity !! Do Coongie as a one day minimum..... best is a couple of nights at least. Not a lot to see between Inn. and Cam's so maybe go further than that, on that that leg.
2. Quite ok, with a few rec stops even.
3. See point 2
4. Yep....mainly blacktop.
5. No problem.
Do yourself a big favour and allow plenty of rec time.......scooting across the landscape from one point to the next, on a schedule can just eat up a lot of fuel, with little "quality time in the outback". You can get home from some trips and start wondering what you actually "did", if you deduct the driving and sleeping time ! (hell...we do that at home). Give yourself plenty of time to walk across the red sand and have a few adventures afoot ! If you have the time, 4-5 hours a day spent motoring should be the maximum.....such a plan makes a 'huge difference"....I expect that other contributors will say much the same (let's see).
AnswerID: 58468

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:56

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:56
Agree with The Banjo

1. You would be pushing it. Coongie unlikely to be open by June due to flooding.
2. Yes but why?
3. Yes but why?
4. Yes, mostly black top but a long haul for a day. There isn't a short cut to
Chambers Pillar from Uluru
4. Yes but not fun

Please take note that on most of these roads and tracks 80kmh is most likely the highest speed you are going to attain unless you figure on being suicidal. There are many dips, floodways, washouts and trillions of corrugations which slow your progress down and you will probably only average 50-60kmh.

Take care fella!
AnswerID: 58471

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 18:14

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 18:14
We are recently back from all of this territory and I think you'd be nuts to attempt these proposed times. Generaly, whilst it's possible, you would be up at sparrows, flat out all day and taking unnecessary risks. My advice is to do about half of what you are looking at and save the rest for another trip.

1. Do Coongie one day the allow a day to Cameron C.
2. An all day drive.
3. Same as 2 but stop at William Creek Pub for a breather.
4. Caution is required along the Old Gahn track - washouts, spikes and generally tough driving. Good camping around the Pillar but take everything you need in & out.
5. Fink to Dalhousie roads rough but OK.

If you push it too hard you'll miss the best bits.
AnswerID: 58473

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 19:43

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 19:43
Huh Cocka - who are you calling nuts? LOL LOL LOL. All things considered. Hi Pen.
FollowupID: 320195

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 18:30

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 18:30
why bother going at the speed you will have to travel at and time spent in car you might as well stay at home and by travel videos yuo will see more
AnswerID: 58477

Reply By: mid life - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 10:19

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 10:19
Thanks for the info guy's I think we'll drop Aryes Rock for our itinary and opt for more time around Innamicka and Lake Ayre.

Cheers
Jeff
AnswerID: 58566

Follow Up By: duncs - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:08

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:08
Jeff,

That would certainly allow you more time to take in the rest. Normally I would recommend that. However, I was in a servo yesterday and noticed on the cover of 4x4 Australia a headline about closing the climb on Ayres Rock. I have not read the article and know that this has been speculated about in the past and has not happened but it may be worth investigating if you are interested in the climb. It is spectacular and not as hard as I had been lead to believe.

Without knowing where you are comeing from and how much time you have the trip you are talking about is possible by adjusting some of your schedule

If you travel from The Rock to Chambers via Hugh River it would make that trip OK. Especially if you are comeing from the Rock to the highway along the same road you went in on.

Plan it properly but be flexible. Have all the info when you leave home and be prepared to drop things out or put things in to improve your trip.

Have fun
Duncs.
FollowupID: 320283

Follow Up By: duncs - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:14

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:14
Just something else that may help.

We did Broken Hill to Alice via Chambers Pillar out to Ayers Rock via Palm Valley, Mereenie Loop and Kings Canyon. Ayres Rock to Mt Dare and across the SD back to Broken Hill via Walkers Crossing, Innamincka and Camerons Corner in 3 weeks.

We had plenty of time in the swimming pools at various camp groounds an did not miss anything we had wanted to see. Couple of BIG days on teh blacktop but that was in areas we had already seen.

Duncs
FollowupID: 320285

Follow Up By: mid life - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 12:09

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 12:09
Duncs

Just Curious how many klms?

Our original plan was 6.300klms in 17 days from Brisbane to the Rock and back.
FollowupID: 320291

Reply By: Phil P - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:01

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:01
If you are planning on climbing Ayers rock, I would allow a couple of days. Quite often the climb is closed and you may have to return the next morning.
AnswerID: 58645

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:24

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:24
Not to mention that you will insult the local people if you climb the rock...you are asked not to climb the rock as it is a sacred site to the indigenous people of this area ... but of course many insult them and carry on regardless...
FollowupID: 320379

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 21:52

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 21:52
Hi Jeff

Just back to my email for the first time in a few days so sorry about the delay in reply.

The Mrs normally keeps a diary of trips like this and records fuel which gives a kilometre count, but not this time.

My guess would be about 5500 from Broken Hill. That would include all the running around at various stops along the way like Alice and the Rock.

I don't know your intended route but if you are going from Brisbane direct to Innamincka and then on to Coober Pedy I would consider skipping Camerons Corner and run down the Strezlecki to Lyndhurst and then up to Maree. 1 Day and will save you a day that the trip to CC would cost. The Corner is a nice p;ace to go but it is not spectacular.

Alternately go direct to the Corner then Maree, Coober Pedy etc and pick up Innamincka after crossing the desert to Birdsville. If you go via Wlkers Crossing it is an easy drive from Birdsville in the day.

Happy travelling
Duncs.

ps I read the signs at the rock and could not find a significant reason not to climb it. The spiritual significance was hinted at but not clearly stated. Read the sign and make up your own mind.
AnswerID: 59174

Sponsored Links