Flinders - Mulgaria Station

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:20
ThreadID: 12875 Views:3227 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Heading to the Flinders in September and was wondering if anyone has driven on the private road west of Mulgaria Station? We are looking to go from Andamooka over to Farina via this road as this seems to be the simplest route. As long as permission is given by the homestead.

Also what are the must see areas in the Finders from people's experience?

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member- Peter & Mrs Peter, Lez - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:23

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:23
Squid,
A really good book for the Flinders is called
"The flinders rangers, An adventurers guide" by Ron and Viv Moon. A fee is payable to pass thru Mulgaria Station, but I dont have the phone no. handy to ring. I have seen it on this site before so maybe try a search.
AnswerID: 58657

Follow Up By: Squid - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 06:12

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 06:12
Thanks, I have the number for Mulgaria Station and will give them a call.
FollowupID: 320403

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 23:26

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 23:26
We did the Farina 4x4 Trail (Andamooka to Farina via Mulgaria) on the Anzac weekend last year. Its a good trip around the top of Lake Torrens and ends at teh excellent Farina Campgrounds.

pix from our trip:
Farina4x4 Pix

GPS track file is on the 4wd out of adelaide group, join up at:
4wd out of adelaide
look in the files section.

Andrew
AnswerID: 58673

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 23:45

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 23:45
Permits are $25 per vehicle and obtained from the Andamooka Post Office.

From the 4wd out of Adelaide database:
-----------------------------------------------------
went across there in December. Nothing too difficult provided there is no rain. Beutifull outback scenery, everchanging, sand, shale, couple of creeks and the drive to the lake is well worth it.Take your GPS as when I went through someone had changed some of the signs around and without my GPS we would have ended up at Stuarts Creek.You will need to get permission from Rob Savage who is the leaseholder. Cost is about $25.00 and I think you can get permits from the Andamooka info centre.Just make sure that you treat the area with respect as it was closed for some time from hoons shooting up the water troughs, roring around on the lake and nearly knocking his ver when they came roring through the station.There was a good camgroung at Farina station and the ruins there are problem some of the best in the country.4x4 Magazine did an article earlier this year.It is a great little trip and fairly remote. When I was there I was the first vehicle in about two weeks to go through so make sure you are prepared.
FollowupID: 320397

Follow Up By: Squid - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 06:01

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 06:01
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info. Great pics. I take it from your comments that Farina campground would be the place to stay.

How long did it take you to get to Farina from Andamooka?

Cheers
FollowupID: 320402

Follow Up By: Andrew - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 08:49

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 08:49
Andamooka to Farina is a full days drive if you do all of the stops.

Andrew
FollowupID: 320408

Sponsored Links