Mitsubishi Pajero

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:43
ThreadID: 12880 Views:6665 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Could someone shed some advice on the new model Pajero's. I am thinking of looking at a late '02 Di D 3.2lt Turbo Diesel Auto. Around $35000.
What are they like off road and is there any dramas that anyone has had with them or any common reocurrances. If anyone can shed some light on this topic I would be highly appreciative.

DDT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:33

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:33
DDT.
Friends who have them rave about there of road ability, aparently the standard rear diff lock more than compensates for the irs, the motors are good and reliable. Eric.
AnswerID: 58668

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:49

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:49
pajeros dont have diff locks as standard however the mitsubishi LSD is probably the best available. The problem with full independent suspension is as the wheels rise up all the vulnerable bits drop down I think the Nj and NK pajeros were the most underated 4wd out there and a far better off road vehicle than the current model The 3.2 diesel is a sensational motor when linked with the 5 speed auto. Wish it were available in the previous models. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 320447

Follow Up By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 22:57

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 22:57
Rob.
The DID does have a diff lock, it is a torsen? type which has been around for years but misubishi has developed it further to make it more reliable. It is also standard on the canter 4x4, a limited slip has to have some traction on both wheels to work but the torsen will drive with one wheel of the ground, Eric.
FollowupID: 320450

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 07:03

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 07:03
DDT most 4wds will take you were you want to go. The key is to learn how to drive them if you have little or no experiance do a coarse it will amaze you .

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 58690

Reply By: Froilan - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:36

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:36
DDT, i have a 2002 paj nm (petrol). have taken it to many off road trips (some fairly tough) not very far from sydney. from sand to dirt to mud to hils to rocks to water crossings. still waiting for thhe opportunity to take it farther. i did a basic 4wd course from getabout which i believe is a must for all those who want to know and enjoy their machine. will teach you the limits you can take the paj. tought me an important fact. 4by's are trucks, not cars, and should be driven accordingly.

only mods i have are tough dogs suspension kits (shocks/springs) and yoko a/t tires. one thing with the a/t tires, rotate them often, every 5000k or they will become noisy. don't know if they have standard rear diff locks though, maybe the DiD. definitely a centre diff lock.

enjoy

froilan

AnswerID: 58725

Reply By: Paul1 - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 13:40

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 13:40
DDT, Only yesterday I was comparing notes with a friend who is a Pajero man. This is his thrid Paj. Is is an '02 model. He has had the usual modifications done (LR tank, duel batts, etc) He is thinking of keeping it past the lease period. He loves his fishing trips and can't fault the car. Be sure to have good tyres. He has bogged his a few times in sand when he had the standard HT tyres. Useless in sand. Once the car sits on the flat pan underbody its like a tortoise with its belly on a rock and its feet treading air. Since the AT tyres were fitted he hasn't bogged it.

Paul
AnswerID: 58791

Reply By: Rino - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 16:44

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 16:44
DDT

Last thursday me and a mate of mine took his new 04' Di D off the beaten track and i have to say i could not have been more impresed. i was scepticle about its ability offroad because of its limited travel, but i have to say it really wasnt 'that' limited. its traction control and downhill assist control were amazing.it literally ate anything in its path even with its standard rubber), and we werent doing light offroading. the engine is fantastic, heaps of torque and the auto transmittion really tops it off. it almost made me question why i put up with the discomfort of driving the GQ when the paj clearly can go everywhere the nissan can with much more comfort.

Chris.
AnswerID: 58804

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:27

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:27
DDT,

Posted a reply on the pajeroclub site.
AnswerID: 58915

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:35

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:35
DDT,

Posted a reply on the pajeroclub site.
AnswerID: 58917