Permit for Bullbars in the City

Submitted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 08:55
ThreadID: 12911 Views:1524 Replies:17 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Nice Sunday morning reading the paper and you come across this article about requiring a permit to have a bullbar on your car in the city.

No worries - I should be able to take my ARB steel bullbar off and hang it in the garage at the end of a trip, buy another plastic bumper for around town.....

Bullbars facing axe

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:08

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:08
This topic comes up from ti,e to time . I am not sure what Goverment will have the balls to impliment it though
AnswerID: 58772

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:46

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:46
It would not surprise me if the Victorian Government tried to do it but as they were talking about a National approach, I reckon they have buckleys of getting Queensland or NT or WA to agree.....
FollowupID: 320461

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:30

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:30
What a bitch of a job taking it on and off to satisfy the whim of some wanker, obviously a mate of Harold Scrobie, and how do they know you are not on your way out of town on hols. Easy solution get a permit in your case Remote Area Medical Service ( RAMS) doing regular surgery runs to Birdsville, To help any sick people
in town!
AnswerID: 58773

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:45

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:45
Yep - I think that would be my cup of tea. The other thought was that I would have to buy a country property and have that as my prime residence but live in the city - bit like the federal politicians do. Did you see the Real Estate agent in Birdsville?

In our local paper, Melbourne Sunday Herald Sun they had a rating list of all the tracks around and the Birdsville track came in number 1. Reckon they are biased by the great people at the other end...

Andrew
FollowupID: 320460

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:49

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:49
All you need it someones country address for your rego, job done.
FollowupID: 320462

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:53

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:53
Do you reckon I would get away with S.A. numberplates...
Haha
FollowupID: 320469

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 14:57

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 14:57
Mate you could easy get SA plates and you wuold be real proud to own a set in mexico, and they would probably be cheaper here !! LOL
FollowupID: 320474

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 10:54

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 10:54
What you read in the Sunday paper has as much credence as a reported sighting of a UFO. Sunday papers can be used for a) Mulch B) Fire starters C) Dunny fodder out bush or simply put it in the wheelie bin.

You have wasted your money again today buying the paper, Andrew. Why don't you go and polish the bullbar instead.

It would be interesting to see how the rules will apply to the trucking industry who have to frequent the city limits.

The report is nothing more than reptitive jargon.

Cheers
AnswerID: 58779

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:55

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:55
Hey Willem, it must be true coz it isn't just in the papers, it is on the Internet too!! lol
FollowupID: 320470

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:21

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:21
Now that made me laugh, Andrew you are nuts, makes me wonder how many witty people are in mental institutions
FollowupID: 320490

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:20

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:20
That is a very interesting question - you are not the first one to say that about me!! Have you been talking to Jen.?? lol lol

There was a fascinating study called "On being sane in insane places" (you can look up the study on the net) where a researcher got normal people to say that they heard a voice or noise in there head saying something, they were then admitted and tried to act as normally as possible and did not make up any more symptoms.

The interesting thing was that it took ages for them to be discharged and their normal behaviours were often interpreted as being abnormal. I am not surprised that this is the case as often people are looking too hard for abnormal behaviour. I reckon that if I went in I might never get out. hahaha.

Andrew
FollowupID: 320506

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:39

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:39
In the nuts and bolts of life there is always someone with a screw loose somewhere................hahahahaha. Take heed young Andrew !!!!!!
FollowupID: 320511

Follow Up By: ross - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 08:36

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 08:36
I would have to agree Willem.The 1st time I went to Melbourne in 1990 this talk was all over that rag they call a newspaper.

14 years later they can still drag the bullbar permit or the removable bull bar story when things are slow at the news desk.
FollowupID: 320538

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:16

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:16
typical Herald Sun unsubstantiated biased and opinionated dribble they must be on the take bandwagon between them and that other Age chick from a post a few months back!
So did anyone fill out there comments form.

Pity this encourages then as they think well these guys buy our paper .
but also with recent 4 x 4 stories being against rather than the for maybe the advertisers of 4 wd goodies should rethink their adverts with them and hit em where it hurts.

also in regards to the racv article there was no plus or minus for the bullbar theory in a recent SA article.
dribble.

G'day andy
AnswerID: 58786

Reply By: Member - Karl - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:40

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 12:40
There is an easy sollution to this and all other topics that relate to 4WD when they come up in the media etc. The one thing that that all pollies listen to is votes. It's no good now being be silent - take them on. 'An estimated 150000' cars and 4WD is a lot of votes.

It beats me how an idiot minority senator from a small state, with a minority vote, can have can have such pull in federal politics and the same minority groups have such pull in state politics. I never see them out on Clean Up Australia Day and other environmentaly important activities.

It would be a nightmare to administer anyway. First cars and 4WDs then small trucks and finally semi trailers. I doubt it will happen, but I would be surprised if they tried to introdruce some kind of monitry perimt for owners to have to pay and thereby raising more money for them to spend on anything other that what realy needs spending on.

Ok, my rants over, I'll get off of my soap box now.
AnswerID: 58787

Reply By: Ian Bee - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:53

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:53
Probalbly got nuthin' to do with pedestrian safety at all.

Probably a secret lobby group spearheaded by Westfield, Coles, Big W.......... all to do with saving the lives of the humble shopping trolley. Especially the old and sick ones, you know, the ones that REFUSE to fit into the station, they like just roll out again when you turn your back on them. They DESERVE TO DIE!!!!

The Government should have open season on Shopping Trolleys. Something like where you pay to enter a Shopping car park and take out as many trolleys as you can in 4 minutes........with your bull bar........

Cheers

Ian BEE
AnswerID: 58798

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 17:36

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 17:36
So what are we saying here , if your hit by a car with no bullbar you will live ? Vegtable for life ? so whats the difrence ? How do you get stats on this ? Are they upset because you killed someone and you have no damadge ? Sorry I dont get it .
AnswerID: 58813

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:57

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:57
yeah its the bull bar that kills e'm .. got nothing to do with the 2 tonne of moving metal the bar is attached to.. Just a slow news week pal..
FollowupID: 320554

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:44

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:44
My sister has a Hilux with a custom bullbar. She had a bumper sticker made up that reads "Don't ban bullbars - ban stupid pedestrians".
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 58822

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:56

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:56
Hi Jiarna, what a great sister, sounds like she is a personal friend of Harold Scrobie !!!
FollowupID: 320496

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:07

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:07
Now thats my kind of people, great bumper sticker. Apparently the issue with bullbar's Roo bar's is that when you are struck by a vehicle with one it takes you under the car a vehicle without a bullbar that stricks you takes you over the bonnet, according to the experts you are less likely to die going over the bonnet.

Baz.
FollowupID: 320498

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:00

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:00
Of course if the pedestrian stays on the footpath, they won't get hit at all, which reduces their chance of being killed by a bullbar to zero. Then they get skittled by kamikazi skateboard riders instead - still safer than crossing the road after dark dressed in black, without looking first.

Here's another one. A few people get killed every year by trains when they wander onto the tracks. Maybe trains should be made lighter, or have crumple zones, or perhaps ban them altogether to protect the idiot minority who can't understand that not all rules can be ignored.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 320556

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:25

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:25
Ufos, funny people in assylums? hmm an interesting topic but take it from me, I worked for the federal govt for 18 years & my still employed cronies assure me that bull bars on city dwelling 4x4's are soon to be phased out....so my solution is very simple.. for a small consideration those of you with the offending bullbars can use my rural address for registration purposes. We all benifit... you get cheaper insurance, get to keep your bull bar and the Govet gets heaps in unjust fines because it would be illegal.. This bullbar garbage is coming from a very small vocal minority of city dweller do gooder types and in Sydney I'm assured that the main rabble rousers are living in the Dundas - Carlingford area. My sources are very much involved and have put forward many ideas and attempted to debunk claims of greater damage etc but the vocal minority just will not listen. They will continue to push their point of view and no amount of rational arguement will change their minds. Its apparently like trying to argue with a religious zealot.. So only time will tell but take it from me this plan is on the political drawing boards and I'm told NSW will be sic" City bullbar free very soon"
AnswerID: 58833

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:04

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:04
Do you think that they would bring it in on all four wheel drives or just stop you putting one on a four wheel drive from now on. I can imagine that there would be one hell of an uprising if you had to take them off if already in place. Thanks for the offer - you might have hundreds of 4wd's registered at your place!
Andrew
FollowupID: 320505

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:38

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:38
Our vehicle's are registered in the country, bikes included, we have acre's at Hill End, all welcome to use it when it happens.

Baz.
FollowupID: 320510

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 07:37

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 07:37
I'll ask around the old cronies today re retrospective thoughts on Bullbars, ie will you be required to remove an already fitted one for use in the City... I doubt that would happen. As to the suggestion of an uprising.. well im no Peter Lalor but an uprising is just not going to happen...take for example the current fuel crisis... is there an uprising in regard to this , I dont see one and this is one occassion that Australians could justifyably get really annoyed as the fuel crisis is being politically " organised" people should be asking why we as a nation are involved with fuel parity pricing... & why dont we use our own crude here... all very political. Maybe I should immigrate to NZ... at least their Govt has the gutz to stand on their own feet. Go Helen... she is really a rottwieler with lipstick!
FollowupID: 320533

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:43

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:43
evenig all
my personal feelings on this bit of stupidy is we will all be able to keep our bars as long as they are registered as dangerous weapons therefore creaating work for more people as it will be like gun rego we will all have to register them at a "small " cost cause poor old bracksie is now dipping out on camera fines so he has to make it up somewhere

steve
AnswerID: 58839

Reply By: stevesub - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:22

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:22
The papers publish this crap to sell more papers - thats it, no other reason.

Both our 4WD's have factory fitted bull bars. The Landrover one fits in with the body and is pretty harmless to pedestrians. The Troopy one would be lethal though. Predestrians and stupid motorists usually keep well out of our way once the see the bar because if there is an incident. they know who is going to be the looser.

The only reason for the bars is that we do a lot of off roading in the Troopy and also long distance driving on roo infested roads.

If such a law were passed, I wonder how we would get on as we are nomads of no fixed abode (we not been in the same place for longer than 4 months so far in the last 12 months and for the forseable future (mid 2005). Currently in Bribie Island, then Melbourne for the winter - yuk.
AnswerID: 58858

Reply By: Tim - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 13:07

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 13:07
Can't see it happening on a national level. The Deputy PM, who also happens to be the National Transport Minister and also happens to be a farmer-lives on his property a bit out of Gunnedah.
AnswerID: 58905

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:28

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:28
Don't have a bullbar on the Surf (first 4by I've had without one)(it's on the list).
So are they telling me that if I run you over now without my bullbar it's ok? Cool I can think of a couple of suburbs I might go for a drive through right now!
Just another excuse to get more taxes out of us. Load of crap, if the day comes and a cop pulls me over and fines me because I have a bullbar I'll show him what they do to the back end of a patrol car.
AnswerID: 58916

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 12:18

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 12:18
Why don't we all just strap a single bed mattress across the front of the bullbar, so that when hit all of these thousands of pedestrians every day that they won't get hurt at all....In fact you'd probably find it would become a bit of an extreme sport among the teenagers.....see how far you can ride the bullbar/mattress on the landcruiser. LOL
Seroiusly, when was the last time you heard of a pedestrian being skittled by a bullbar-wearing 4x4 where the outcome (death by going under the car as opposed to death by flying up thru the windscreen!!!!) was affected solely by the bullbar??
These people have their heads stuck up where the sun don't shine!!!
I think one of the 4x4 magazines recently published an article quoting stats which gave the humble bullbar a clean bill of health.
AnswerID: 59061

Reply By: kiwi2 - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 17:56

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 17:56
What's wrong with you people? The solution dates back to the birth of the motor vehicle. We just get somebody to walk ahead of our vehicle, ALL vehicles, with a red warning flag.
The road toll instantly drops to zero (apart from a few slow flag carriers) and the wowsers can all move on to other worthwhile targets. Maybe they can start by trying to ban gravity. That way we can avoid most of the airline accidents and all the injuries and deaths caused by falls. Hello, Mr Scruby, where are you?
AnswerID: 59291

Reply By: Chump - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:20

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:20
Just a couple of thoughts

# How many pedestrians are killed by vehicles without bullbars?

# What percentage of vehicles on the road have bullbars?

How can there be an informed discussion without these sort of figures?

Chris
AnswerID: 60072

Reply By: tex1972 - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:12

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:12
I am pleased to know that if I take the bullbar off my Western Star B-double I won"t kill a pedestrian if I should happen to run into one.
AnswerID: 60117

Sponsored Links