Mt Augustus in 5 Days?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 17:54
ThreadID: 129603 Views:1730 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,
I've got 5 days off work from 8th Aug and living just north of Perth.

Wondering if a trip up to Mt Augustus and Kennedy Range National Park is achievable?

If not where do think is the best place to go for a 5 day trip up north? I've already done monkey mia area, steep point and Exmouth.

Thanks
Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 18:12

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 18:12
Jon it will be long day's driving but 1.5 - 2 days there and back leaves you 1 day to do 1 or the other to do both I'd be looking at a week minimum.

Both deserve at the bare minimum 1 day each just to scratch the surface .

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 588128

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 07:07

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 07:07
I agree with Dunc - you'll spend most of your time in the vehicle.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 856223

Reply By: Trevor&Verna - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 19:45

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 19:45
Because of the distances, I would suggest one or the other but not both. Mt Augustus is a good place and your journey can be broken up by other places on the way. It would be my choice. You will need 3 or 4 hours for the walk across the top of the Mt.
Trevor&Verna, Kal WA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 588136

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 21:04

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 21:04
Hi Mants. Quickest way from north of perth, cararvon murchison road by turning off at eneabba, gravel dirt road but usually in good nick, have towed the van on that road no probs. You can camp at bigiamia just short of gascoyne junction if you dont want to camp at the kennedy camp site then go to mt augustas.
Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 588146

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 22:21

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 22:21
Just make sure you check the road conditions before going. They are having heavy rains around there right now. Flooding here in the wheatbelt too as I speak.
AnswerID: 588149

Reply By: Derek Jones - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 23:16

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 23:16
Without knowing where you live other an generic 'just north of Perth' it does become somewhat difficult to comment with any degree but my thoughts are - you would struggle to do justice to either place with a total of five days available to you.

Maybe consider a trip into areas along the Great Norther Highway - albeit as a previous poster has said there is heavy rain forecast in area over the next few days.

AnswerID: 588152

Reply By: 08crd - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 00:43

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 00:43
It is possible, first day drive to Wooramel roadhouse fill up, backtrack a few k's anf turn off towards Gascoyne Junction.
Second day Gascoyne Junction, fill up and check out the Kennedy ranges, then camp between the Kennedy's and Mt Augustus.
Third day Mt Augustus, walk to the summit camp at the caravan park.
Fourth day head out through Landor, historic Mt Gould police station to Meekatharra, should get there by mid day. So push on 200k's through Cue to Mt Magnet. September the wildflowers will be great.
Fifth day back to Perth 540k's through Paynes Find, Wubin.
No problem.

Another nice five day run, all bitumen is the Perth, Kalgoorlie, Lienster, Sandstone, Mt Magnet, Perth trip.
There are so many places to see on that trip, it is brilliant. Karalee rocks aqueduct, Coolgardie, Kalgoorlie/Boulder, Broad Arrow, Lake Ballard, Niagra Dam, Gwallia (stay at Edgar Hoover's house B & B) , Lienster, Agnew, Sandstone(brilliant pub meals).
Take the short cut from Sandstone to Paynes Find, then stay at the New Norcia Hotel, for an easy run home after breakfast. Magic.IMO
AnswerID: 588155

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 21:43

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 21:43
Note that as of Saturday 1 August ALL unsealed roads in Sandstone Shire are CLOSED to all traffic. (Doesn't leave many ....)

Many a trip requires last-minute changes as a result of the rain in that area, as did ours.

BTW, meals at the Sandstone Pub (only option in town) are seriously over-rated.
FollowupID: 856619

Reply By: mants - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 15:47

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 15:47
Thanks everyone who replied, looks like its going to be too far for this trip.

Think we're going to go to Murchison House Station and explore around there.
AnswerID: 588178

Sponsored Links